Nuclear Operator

Drew Toner

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger lariat
The Adaptive Cruise and the Pre-collision sensor are one in the same. I you don't have one then you don't have the other. It's simple, if you have the big black sensor in your font bumper opening then you can't fit the light bar. If you don't have the sensor then you can fit the light bar. It's huge, you literally can't miss it.

02-ford-ranger-lariat-2019-angle--blue--exterior--front.jpg
Ok, front camera behind, or in front of rear view mirror, got it, acc sensor lower grill, check, but what are the little sensors in the front bumper for? Like the rear park assist sensors! Thought that had something to do with running over pedestrians, or is precollision as well? Just wondering how this all links together!
Drew

OP
OP

Deleted member 1634

Ok, front camera behind, or in front of rear view mirror, got it, acc sensor lower grill, check, but what are the little sensors in the front bumper for? Like the rear park assist sensors! Thought that had something to do with running over pedestrians, or is precollision as well? Just wondering how this all links together!
Drew
The camera behind the mirror is for precollision assist, and lane assist.
The radar box in the lower grille is for adaptive cruise (it also helps with precollision assist if you have it apparently).
The sensors in the bumper are the front parking assist sensors. They are, and work, the same as the rear park assist sensors. They're the reason the truck beeps at you if you get too close to the light pole at your parking spot.

Hightork

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 SuperCrew
I made a small, low profile Bull bar to mount 2 high intensity 8 " light bars, and used expanded metal to cover the open area in front of my sensor to protect the radiator behind it from any debris that could get in there while driving.

Stranger.jpg

scubalizard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
I made a small, low profile Bull bar to mount 2 high intensity 8 " light bars, and used expanded metal to cover the open area in front of my sensor to protect the radiator behind it from any debris that could get in there while driving.
Doesn't the metal affect the use of the ACC? I know they sell a plastic insert, but i thought metal would reflect and cause issues.

Hightork

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 SuperCrew
Expanded metal surface area is small and doesn't seem to interrupt the radar. I've used it to protect signal wave amplifiers in industrial applications previously. I installed this setup six weeks ago and has worked great so far, with no issues to date. If any issues occur, I'll be sure to post an update.

Last edited:

Ranger305

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Oxford White Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired!
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone mounted lights on their ranger yet? Too scared/ don’t want to deal with the wind noise of a roof top light bar but I’m thinking about ditch lights, a small light bar in the lower fender area, and reverse flood lights.
Here's my Impulse Offroad light bar and its adornments. FYI, I hear practically zero wind noise.

1.JPG

2.JPEG

Ranger305

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Oxford White Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired!
Vehicle Showcase
I like this a lot, but it runs right in front of the ACC sensor.
Yes it does and I can’t say it hasn’t been an intermittent problem -occasional spurious beeps. I’m researching some potential solutions and will keep everyone posted here.

RangerRaptor

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat (previously 2012 Ford SVT Raptor)
Here's my Impulse Offroad light bar and its adornments. FYI, I hear practically zero wind noise.

1.JPG

2.JPEG
Why would you expect to get wind noise? About the only lightbar that would create noise is roof mounted, and 40”-54” long. The noise is created by harmonic resonance when high-speed wind passes over the light bar and causes mechanical vibration of the cooling fins. I don’t think a small lightbar mounted in front of the bumper will allow the air to flow freely past the light. Without clean airflow, the fins should never reach the vibration amplitude necessary to create harmonic resonance. Even if roof mounted, I think the short cooling fins are too stiff to vibrate significantly. Longer lightbars have longer fins, which are more flexible. I use resonance dampers on my 50” Rigid E-Series. The rubber inserts lower the amplitude of the vibrations and eliminate most of the sound.

tivct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tremor, Focus RS
Why would you expect to get wind noise? About the only lightbar that would create noise is roof mounted, and 40”-54” long. The noise is created by harmonic resonance when high-speed wind passes over the light bar and causes mechanical vibration of the cooling fins. I don’t think a small lightbar mounted in front of the bumper will allow the air to flow freely past the light. Without clean airflow, the fins should never reach the vibration amplitude necessary to create harmonic resonance. Even if roof mounted, I think the short cooling fins are too stiff to vibrate significantly. Longer lightbars have longer fins, which are more flexible. I use resonance dampers on my 50” Rigid E-Series. The rubber inserts lower the amplitude of the vibrations and eliminate most of the sound.
You're talking about mechanical vibration noise, not wind noise. Any turbulence on the leading edge of the truck can cause wind noise. My Ranger had a poor/rough molded edge in part of the driver's mirror from the factory that whistled in the wind. Drove me crazy trying to find it. Ended up filing it down and now it's quiet.

tivct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tremor, Focus RS
Yes it does and I can’t say it hasn’t been an intermittent problem -occasional spurious beeps. I’m researching some potential solutions and will keep everyone posted here.
What size are the lights? 6"?

Baja Designs

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Baja Designs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Silverado H.D.
Did something similar tonight. Baja designs ditch lights. 19in in the top portion of my grill. Waiting on my baja designs s2 to use are rear floods will be switched as well

20200412_140353.jpg

20200417_002513.jpg
Looking good! :like:
Sponsored