2019 ford ranger lariat - transmission gets confused and does not go into gear when driving

vital04

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger fx4 lariat
Hey All,
I have been looking and looking and can not seem to find the thread I was looking for, but the issue is the transmission seems to get confused at low speeds on which gear to be in. The pedal will go inactive for about 3 seconds (feels like a panic hour ).. push the pedal hard and nothing really happens then all of a sudden it gets into a gear like nothing has happened.
No codes are thrown. no lights on the dash goes on. I can almost reproduce on this one hill near my house ever time, but also happens in other areas away not just a hill.

Anyone have any thoughts or run into the same issue? I thought I read some where here that there was a TSB for this issue but failing to find it
Sponsored

Ranger8729

First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Ranger & 2019 Ranger
I have had the similar case happen on hills, not during daily driving. It's a hill issue like the truck is very confused how to select a gear. I use D for 95% of driving. I turn on the hill, and it will not downshift and only responds to sharp pedal input; I bog the engine for several seconds before i either crest the hill or it drops to the proper gear like nothing happened. Only does it at low speeds; turning, cruising neighborhoods, state park roads...It does not do it everytime either.

Could you get a dealer tech to ride along with you? My dealer is too far for me to take them to the spot where they have a 50/50 shot of it happening.

OP
OP
vital04

vital04

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have had the similar case happen on hills, not during daily driving. It's a hill issue like the truck is very confused how to select a gear. I use D for 95% of driving. I turn on the hill, and it will not downshift and only responds to sharp pedal input; I bog the engine for several seconds before i either crest the hill or it drops to the proper gear like nothing happened. Only does it at low speeds; turning, cruising neighborhoods, state park roads...It does not do it everytime either.

Could you get a dealer tech to ride along with you? My dealer is too far for me to take them to the spot where they have a 50/50 shot of it happening.
[/

I called the dealer today and made an appointment. The earliest one they had was in 3 weeks.
Yes, they are close enough that I can take that rep for a ride in the truck to feel it and also experience it. Most times its intermittent, but that hill seems to reproduce it unless I come in hot. Am also going to take a vid of the issue if I can capture will also attach here.

OP
OP
vital04

vital04

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I called the dealer today and made an appointment. The earliest one they had was in 3 weeks.
Yes, they are close enough that I can take that rep for a ride in the truck to feel it and also experience it. Most times its intermittent, but that hill seems to reproduce it unless I come in hot. Am also going to take a vid of the issue if I can capture will also attach here.

Jfly96

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger supercrew lariat
Occupation
High Voltage Electrician
Any result on the visit to the dealer? I have the same year make and model , I also have weird shifting hiccups randomly at times. My solution was to use sport mode in town and it seems not to get confused anymore. I have had two other fords and both had catchy shifting at times so I have been chalking it up to a ford thing.
Jim.
Sponsored