Left Turn Signal Rear / Brake Light / Rapid Flashing

PossiblyHuman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger - XLT - FX4 - SuperCab
4 weeks ago I had a rapid flash crop up with my Driver's Side Turn Signal.

Initially thought it was just a burned out bulb. But, about 10 minutes later my console died below the touch screen.
All buttons, non-responsive - no heating/cooling, dash warnings about collision avoidance and airbags lights up.
Turn signal would rapid flash, on left. Both tail lights and reverse lights flashed with the left turn signal. (Right operated normal).

Trip 1 to the Dealer: They replaced the FCIM Module - said it was the cause and had failed.

Driving it home - the lights failed again (front console remained functional). But now it was showing a failure in the blind spot monitoring system as well.

Trip 2 to the Dealer: They replaced the rear turn signal assembly - after diagnosing that issue.

Later that same day the issue with the turn signal and brake lights - rapid blink (when cold in the truck) outside usually flashes the brake and reverse light (not the yellow) - when the brake is pressed the lights stop flashing at all.

Any ideas?

Update: Issue was resolved after another 6 weeks in the shop (and over 6,000 miles on the loaner).

Issue turned out to be a short in the OEM "trailer brake control module". Which was tracked down after Ford engineers got involved. The module was replaced (I was told with a different version of the module) - the issue has not recurred since.

I avoided posting an update till I was absolutely sure that the issue had been resolved.
Sponsored

Last edited:

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase
General electrical could be a ground fault, but that is just a WAG based on the "replacement" of module and then same issue crops up again, could also explain the larger outages. Again, just a WAG on my part.

rang19ca

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 2024 Escape ST-Line
Occupation
Retired Diesel Mechanic
At least the dealer is attempting to fix it. I have dealt with grounding issues in my past working life that sound similar to what you are experiencing. I'm just an old retired mechanic now, Ha Ha. I hope they get yours fixed.
Sponsored