First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger 2023 Ford Edge 1995 Cobra
Occupation
IT Demi-God
This thread makes me realize how truly wonderful it is to be retired and of course owning a Ford ranger. looking for a job can be more stressful than having one.
Aint this the truth! in my experience being unemployed is way more stressful than any job I have ever had. I had two lengthy periods of unemployment where I drew benefits. Thankfully they were based on Colorado and were about 200 bucks more a week than I would get here in Texas. all in All they kept my ass out of the sling.
You can't let the engineers talk to the customers. I have people skills!
Also true when I worked for Dell My job sat between tech support/customers and the engineers. when tech support couldn't fix something it came to our group. When talking to engineering it was "well you know what dick customers are man, they suck. just give me something to tell them" and when talking to the customers it was "well you know engineers, they never listen and are dicks but I will get on their case and see where they are". the real goal was to keep them well apart.
In here you can forget about getting “any job” if you have gained some skills or have worked on leading position.
I never hired over qualified people myself as they left asap.
I got turned down for several jobs I was over qualified for. in spite of the fact I was willing to work for less money just to be employed again. it sucked
Just because you can, that doesn't mean you should.
That kind of entitled attitude is what's ruining this country.
meh no really the lack of parental guidance and liberal democrats are what is ruining this country. Unemployment is there for a reason, and there is no reason not to take it if you are unemployed. it allows you to stretch your savings out so you can survive longer without a job if needed. as long as you are actively looking and not turning down job offers there is no reason not to take it.
Hi Tom
At Ford we had a saying...."There comes a time in the history of every program where you have to shoot the engineer and start production"....
Best,
Phil
How true .. but an engineering driven company is much more fun to work for than one driven by marketers and bean counters

RDJTX

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger 2023 Ford Edge 1995 Cobra
Occupation
IT Demi-God
If there are no jobs, maybe. But there are always jobs.

People just think too highly of themselves to take the jobs that are available.

Funny, they have too much pride to be a garbage man. But let the garbage man pay their rent and feed them and their okay with it.

I'm sorry but from my experiences in this world I refuse to believe the old tripe "I just can't find a job."

There's always a job, the question is are you man enough to take it and pay your own way.
gonna have to disagree with you there. if you are unskilled you are correct there are jobs aplenty. in today's market. in 2003 and again in 2016/17 that was not so true. there were jobs out there but in my experience as a skilled worker employers just didn't want to hire a way over qualified person because they were worried about how long he would stay. I heard that plenty when looking for a job, and I was not being picky. it is also easier to get hired if you already have a job plenty of recruiters told me that too.

I agree that there are a lot of unemployed folks who let their pride get in the way of getting a job. I have met more than a few. But remember, your experience does not mean that everyone has the same experience that you have/had. You are right there are always jobs but not all of those jobs are willing to take just anyone to fill them

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
gonna have to disagree with you there. if you are unskilled you are correct there are jobs aplenty. in today's market. in 2003 and again in 2016/17 that was not so true. there were jobs out there but in my experience as a skilled worker employers just didn't want to hire a way over qualified person because they were worried about how long he would stay. I heard that plenty when looking for a job, and I was not being picky. it is also easier to get hired if you already have a job plenty of recruiters told me that too.

I agree that there are a lot of unemployed folks who let their pride get in the way of getting a job. I have met more than a few. But remember, your experience does not mean that everyone has the same experience that you have/had. You are right there are always jobs but not all of those jobs are willing to take just anyone to fill them
I've been "over qualified" at my last 3 positions. Being able to interview well and explain your situation goes a long way.

Also, a smart person who wanted to work would start dropping things off their resume if they noticed this occurring.

Zaph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, A whole garage full of motorcycles
Occupation
Engineer
This is a long thread and I did not read through the whole thing, but... if I were in your location, and not Wisconsin - That's two wheeled driving, a cheap and yet super fun form of transportation 365 days of the year with very little rain, and lane splitting is legal and even expected in your state. Sure trucks are awesome but I personally have to plow through 12" of snow now and then.

Motorcycles don't have to be expensive, you can get yourself on a smallish Ninja and still have full size fun. I had a blast buzzing around on my 300 Ninja on the streets. (And then more fun when I turned it into an ultralight racebike)

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
Also, a smart person who wanted to work would start dropping things off their resume if they noticed this occurring.
A few times I left the master's degree off my resume and also some of the part-time jobs I had.
Still, it's hard to figure out what employers want sometimes.
The other thing is that most employers drug test as part of the hiring process so even if weed is legal in your state a lot of people don't bother applying for jobs since they'd rather smoke.
I used to own two franchises of a national service-type company and after we were required to drug test new hires the number of applicants dropped significantly.
My wife is the lead accountant for a large local fire protection company. They occasionally have entry level positions open, either for installers or service techs or warehouse, that sort of thing, no special training required other than a basic knowledge of construction. I've told three people who I knew were qualified to apply there over the years and none of them ever got called for an interview yet my wife says the jobs remain open forever. She doesn't get it either. I don't refer anyone to them anymore. Too bad because it's actually a good place to work.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
This thread has gone completely sideways and is non productive. It is being locked to further replies.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.