Larger Tires and Speed Correction - Who Has Done it?

Jason@Stage3

Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.stage3motorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150 5.0L
Occupation
Web Team Overlord

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
HTX1811

HTX1811

First Name
HC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger STX 4x4,16 Audi A7
Occupation
Retired
Say what you will but the Stage3 guys were great to work with and absolutely worth the price. It never hurts to PM them and find out.
Not truly one and done. It can read and clear DTC codes. I know, so can Autozone, but it does have an additional function.

Last edited:

Jason@Stage3

Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150 5.0L
Occupation
Web Team Overlord
Hard to justify $200+ for one time use...better if you were starting a business to calibrate speedos for $50...one could make a killing ?

Or just do this with Forscan and take care of other annoyances at the same time...
https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/thre...d-correction-who-has-done-it.6788/post-117710
Say what you will but the Stage3 guys were great to work with and absolutely worth the price. It never hurts to PM them and find out.
Not truly one and done. It can read and clear DTC codes. I know, so can Autozone, but it does have an additional function.
Not to mention gearing if/when there’s Ranger-specific gear packages out.

I’m sure ForScan will be able to do gearing to, but I don’t know if anyone’s found the line/hex edits for it yet.

LegacyRanger

First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT FX4 Ford Ranger
You might try your dealer. Depending upon your relationship they may not charge you. I've done it twice, once with my '05 Ranger, and another with a Mustang Cobra. Dealer plugs in their lap top to the OBD port and selects tire size from a list and it's done - five minutes. Can also select various rear axle ratios as well.
I just called a dealer and they acted like they could not recalibrate for any new tire sizes. Seems unlikely. Why is it so hard to get a simple recalibration? I'm only wanting to move from 65R to 70R but it almost seems like too much of a hassle and I'm not going to pay the $200+ for the Hypertech module.

OP
OP
HTX1811

HTX1811

First Name
HC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Welcome to my pain prior to buying the Hypertech. All good now and spot on.

LegacyRanger

First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT FX4 Ford Ranger
Welcome to my pain prior to buying the Hypertech. All good now and spot on.
I know the difference in MPH is almost negligible (2-3 mph) between my two sizes but I want my odometer to be right as well. I'm just a stickler for details and if I know it isn't right it will bug me.
Any chance you want to unload your Hypertech now that yours is calibrated? haha

OP
OP
HTX1811

HTX1811

First Name
HC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I am exactly the same way. It would bug me to no end if it was off. I am going to hang on to the Hypertech. LOL.

gfitzge2

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS, 2019 Ranger, 2021 Mustang Mach 1
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Vehicle Showcase
I just called a dealer and they acted like they could not recalibrate for any new tire sizes. Seems unlikely. Why is it so hard to get a simple recalibration? I'm only wanting to move from 65R to 70R but it almost seems like too much of a hassle and I'm not going to pay the $200+ for the Hypertech module.
My dealer just gave me the run around too. So I resorted to Forscan. So with the bigger tires your speedo could be reading low. About 3.3% in my case. If that made the difference in getting a speeding ticket or not. You could have paid for the Hypertech.

Tire compare 265 70.png

BlueSport

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X2
Not to mention gearing if/when there’s Ranger-specific gear packages out.

I’m sure ForScan will be able to do gearing to, but I don’t know if anyone’s found the line/hex edits for it yet.
Hey jason whats up with your guys customer service i called to tell you guys i recieved the wrong calibrater ( it was for an f150) and to maybe see if could get this sorted out but ur rep joel just gave me nasty attitude and told me there made for all ford trucks and i told him thats true but there shipped for a specific vehicle and thats why i bought mine cause i dont have the computer to mess with forscan so i bought this thinking that its just a plug in play like you guys show it but its not

Jason@Stage3

Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150 5.0L
Occupation
Web Team Overlord
Hey jason whats up with your guys customer service i called to tell you guys i recieved the wrong calibrater ( it was for an f150) and to maybe see if could get this sorted out but ur rep joel just gave me nasty attitude and told me there made for all ford trucks and i told him thats true but there shipped for a specific vehicle and thats why i bought mine cause i dont have the computer to mess with forscan so i bought this thinking that its just a plug in play like you guys show it but its not
If you have part# 742502, then you have the right device. However, you may need to update its firmware to the latest version. We had the same issue with ours, since we just had that device laying around for literally a couple of years. Ranger compatibility is fairly new, and your device may have been sitting on a shelf for X amount of time.

If you don’t have that part number, shoot me a PM with your order number, and we’ll see what’s going on.

Chris D Hall

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 and Edge
Occupation
Network Operations Manager
I used forscan to set my 33 10.5 17 Kenda Klever RT's I'd drive and adjust and got it nailed down pretty good 2502mm

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
I have Nitto Ridge Grapplers 255/80/R17 tires. Measure 32 5/8" tall. My speedo according to a GPS speed app is off by the following:

Speedo MPH - GPS MPH - Difference
40 - 44 - +4
45 - 50 - +5
50 - 56 - +6
60 - 66-67 - +6-7
65 - 72-73 - +7-8
70 - 78 - +8
80- 88-89 - +8-9
90 - 98-99 - +9

Sometimes it bounced between two speeds thus the two numbers.

Has anyone used a tuner to adjust for larger tires? If so, what brand? SCT says no such luck and no timeframe for when they will be able to.
My livernois tuner comes with tire size adjustment. Can also read and clear error codes.

Tire size is real easy. Choose tire size from menu. Type in new rotation per mile from manufacture web site.

Easy peasy.

Chris D Hall

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 and Edge
Occupation
Network Operations Manager
I used forscan and adjusted mine. I'm running 33's

2.7EcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Screw
I went from the 265/65-17 that with cruise set @ 50 mph on the digital readout, 48 on the analog speedometer and 49-50 on my gps app. Now with 265/70-17 tires cruise set @ 50 mph on the digital, 49 on the speedometer and 50-51 on my gps app. Not worth the bother to me....
Sponsored

Last edited: