"Knocking" noise on front passenger side

QCRanger48

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Went offroading over the weekend and I noticed the front end making a knocking noise on the front passenger side when going over bumps. It rides very smooth otherwise and I don't notice a rattle in the steering or anything. I did some fairly intense offroading that included some big steps up and down. I'm fairly handy but my knowledge is a little lacking. I'll be jacking it up this afternoon to take a look at everything, basically just going to try and recreate a bump and see if I can see what has come lose or what is hitting. If anyone has any ideas of what to look at first, let me know!
Sponsored

JasonTremor

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor XLT
Went offroading over the weekend and I noticed the front end making a knocking noise on the front passenger side when going over bumps. It rides very smooth otherwise and I don't notice a rattle in the steering or anything. I did some fairly intense offroading that included some big steps up and down. I'm fairly handy but my knowledge is a little lacking. I'll be jacking it up this afternoon to take a look at everything, basically just going to try and recreate a bump and see if I can see what has come lose or what is hitting. If anyone has any ideas of what to look at first, let me know!
May sound odd, but is your windshield washer reservoir full? If not, fill it all the way to the top and see if the noise goes away.

If mine is not completely full, it makes what sound like knocking noises on bumps as the washer fluid sloshes in the reservoir.

OP
OP

QCRanger48

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
May sound odd, but is your windshield washer reservoir full? If not, fill it all the way to the top and see if the noise goes away.

If mine is not completely full, it makes what sound like knocking noises on bumps as the washer fluid sloshes in the reservoir.
Interesting! I already suspect mine is getting empty and actually bought a new jug of fluid yesterday. I'll top it off and see if that works.

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
I will confirm that it does make a knocking noise, if you stand at right front fender and bounce truck, you will hear it. (Mine came from factory low) Thank you Ford. I found it by shaking truck and mechanics stethoscope.
Another possible is passenger seatbelt bouncing against pillar, if not perfectly placed it rattles against pillar.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Remove cabin filter and check for angry squirrel...

OP
OP

QCRanger48

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger

I will confirm that it does make a knocking noise, if you stand at right front fender and bounce truck, you will hear it. (Mine came from factory low) Thank you Ford. I found it by shaking truck and mechanics stethoscope.
Another possible is passenger seatbelt bouncing against pillar, if not perfectly placed it rattles against pillar.
Unfortunately it was not as simple as adding wiper fluid, I topped it off and the noise is still there. Didn't get a chance to take a better look at everything, hopefully tomorrow or Thursday.

Bob902

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
RETIRED!!!!
My smart ass comment is answer the door.

Honestly its probably a sway bar end link. What you described is that to a T.
Agreed. I would start with the upper sway bar link as well.

OP
OP

QCRanger48

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger

I'll start there! Thanks guys. Looks like an easy enough fix too, fingers crossed!

Bob902

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
RETIRED!!!!
I'll start there! Thanks guys. Looks like an easy enough fix too, fingers crossed!
You will need an Allen wrench. Sorry I don't remember the size. An offset 18mm wrench makes life real easy. If you don't use the Allen wrench, the bolt will spin while you try to tighten the bolt.

Dereku

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Project Manager
You will need an Allen wrench. Sorry I don't remember the size. An offset 18mm wrench makes life real easy. If you don't use the Allen wrench, the bolt will spin while you try to tighten the bolt.
Downside of a ball joint end link. But the ride quality is almost worth it. Harbor freight has a great price on offset wrenches. Bought them a few years ago to do struts and I use them more often than I ever thought I would.

OP
OP

QCRanger48

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger

Finally had some time to kill in the garage and it was the sway bar link. Tightened it up and went for a drive and problem solved. Thanks for the diagnosis!

Dereku

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Project Manager
Finally had some time to kill in the garage and it was the sway bar link. Tightened it up and went for a drive and problem solved. Thanks for the diagnosis!
No problem. I have had so many go bad over the years and I describe it just like you did.