Knock values and timing values

Mrmonk7663

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Any of you who are tuned on 93 octane and log…what kind of max timing are you seeing at WOT? What kind of knock retard are you seeing?

My truck knocks a lot on 1st run. I’ll do another run and it’s cut in half. I’ll do a 3rd run and knock retard is negligible, non issue. I do not understand why this is.

I have used Torco and nothing really changed which leads me to believe the knock retard is not due to actual knock but to something else.

I have ruthenium plugs. I am now wondering if these aren’t the best choice fir the Ranger. Maybe they have something to do with this.

Last thing is if I hit the downpipe I hear something rattle a bit. I have checked around to see if resonance from hitting the pipe is causing something to rattle but it seems the rattle is internal to the pipe. Maybe that is contributing to the knock retard.

The knock retard changes. Sometimes it’s on 2 cylinders sometimes not. Sometimes 1 cylinder will have zero retard while another will have -3.

If it was consistent values in sane cylinders it would make sense. But it’s not.

Mods-3” SPD downpipe and exhaust
Turbosmart dual port. Roush intake.

Thanks fir the help.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Mrmonk7663

Mrmonk7663

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Surely some of y’all are tuned and are experienced loggers?

OP
OP
Mrmonk7663

Mrmonk7663

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
The rattle may not be downpipe. I taped on the bottom of ac compressor. It took much less force here to bear rattle. I can tap on valve cover and hear the rattle. It’s the same rattle but I can’t figure out where. If I hit the frame no rattle. If I bounce truck up and down no rattle. I also held the wastegate arm and it’s not the rattle.

OP
OP
Mrmonk7663

Mrmonk7663

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Ok I found my noise. The noise use 100 percent coming from the passenger engine mount. It sounds like little ball bearings moving around through my engine stethoscope. On the top portion of the mount is a big thick rubber washer thing. I can spin this thing with no effort round and round. I’m inclined to say it should t be like this.

The mount makes the noise tapping on valve cover, transmission, ac compressor, even bypass valve hose. You can tap with just your thumb and make the mount make the noise.

Could the mount be bad or improperly tightened?

If anyone is able if you can crawl under and thump your ac compressor and see if you hear a noise. Then see if your passenger side mount has the big rubber wager on top and see if it spins.

Im convinced this noise is causing false knock.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:

OP
OP
Mrmonk7663

Mrmonk7663

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
It feels tight. Top is 18mm bottom is 21mm.

i'm not so concerned about the washer spinning at the moment because it could just be a dust cover.
but the knocking may be a sign of a loose nut.
can you get on them with a wrench to see, or get a borescope in there for a closer look?
they look like single piece units...I cant find a real picture yet, just schematics.

1636322015534.png
E4B432F3-8339-4C2D-A827-A85712DBA0EE.jpeg

OP
OP
Mrmonk7663

Mrmonk7663

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
If anyone is able to see if they have this noise as well let me know. Or if anyone can comment on if a noise of this should be coming from a hydraulic mount. Thanks.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
Any of you who are tuned on 93 octane and log…what kind of max timing are you seeing at WOT? What kind of knock retard are you seeing?

My truck knocks a lot on 1st run. I’ll do another run and it’s cut in half. I’ll do a 3rd run and knock retard is negligible, non issue. I do not understand why this is.

I have used Torco and nothing really changed which leads me to believe the knock retard is not due to actual knock but to something else.

I have ruthenium plugs. I am now wondering if these aren’t the best choice fir the Ranger. Maybe they have something to do with this.

Last thing is if I hit the downpipe I hear something rattle a bit. I have checked around to see if resonance from hitting the pipe is causing something to rattle but it seems the rattle is internal to the pipe. Maybe that is contributing to the knock retard.

The knock retard changes. Sometimes it’s on 2 cylinders sometimes not. Sometimes 1 cylinder will have zero retard while another will have -3.

If it was consistent values in sane cylinders it would make sense. But it’s not.

Mods-3” SPD downpipe and exhaust
Turbosmart dual port. Roush intake.

Thanks fir the help.
Recently I was starting to get random knock at WOT on my 5* 93 octane tune. I reset it back to stock then re-flashed the 93 Performance tune file but changed the WOT spark timing setting to -1 degree from the default. Since doing so I have not heard any knock/pinging at WOT. May be worth seeing if yours will allow you to adjust the WOT spark settings to see if it helps.

OP
OP
Mrmonk7663

Mrmonk7663

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
I have a bdx and don’t think I have access to adjust anything. Anyway with as much Torco as I used knock from Timjng should be zero. I’ve lowered timing to below normal 93 timing and the random knock still appears at WOT.

importfighter01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XL SuperCab
These engine rock a lot. Very soft mounts. Would love a polyurethane option. Founds way to setup 2 limiting chains, but scared to set them up with the aluminum head and block.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
These engine rock a lot. Very soft mounts. Would love a polyurethane option. Founds way to setup 2 limiting chains, but scared to set them up with the aluminum head and block.
As long as there is little to no slack in the chain there's not much to worry about. Where you run into issues is when there's a bunch of slack and the engine rocks over and the bolt hole(s) where the chain is mounted to takes repeated impacts. That's when things tend to break.

Another option if the mounts have large open spaces formed into them, you could fill them with polyurethane sealant and stiffen them up considerably over stock. Loctite PL Roof & Flashing Poly sealant does an amazing job with this.

OP
OP
Mrmonk7663

Mrmonk7663

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
This truck begs for upgraded mounting options.

Anyway truck is with dealer. I explained the noisy mount. Explained how to make the noise and how it sounds with a scope. Hopefully they listen.

OP
OP
Mrmonk7663

Mrmonk7663

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
My neighbor just bought a new fx2. I asked if I could check his passenger mount. I checked it the same way I checked mine. No noise. I then used the stethoscope. No noise. This pretty much definitely shows that my mount is not correct either internally or how it was installed. Hoping to hear back from Ford soon.

Reactions: Doc

daniel3507

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
I've noticed a knock on mine when at WOT or under load. I went out and checked the passenger side mount real quick and the rubber washer thing spins and moves. Did your neighbors washer thing spin too? To be clear, the part with the label is what I checked. It would be #3 on the diagram @RANGER PRIDE posted so it doesn't seem like a structural part
PXL_20211114_025023433.jpg

OP
OP
Mrmonk7663

Mrmonk7663

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
I forgot to check the washer on his. I’ll see if I can tomorrow. But his mount was silent unlike mine.
Sponsored