DaRodent

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2012 Fiesta, 2012 Fiat 500 Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Definitely rethinking my career after reading this thread! I’m a user interface/experience designer for financial applications.
Believe me if I had a “way back” machine I would have chosen a different career.
In my mind I would have been a great international spy....that is if Canada had them lol

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ranger Supercab (sold 12/19) , 2002 Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired Firefighter III, Honolulu Fire Department
  • Mechanic/gopher at a small repair shop for 1 1/2 years or so
  • Mechanic at a Lincon/Mercury-Honda dealership for 13 years, 7 months
  • Fire equipment mechanic, 4 years
  • Firefighter III, 20 years
  • Firefighter III/Fire Inspector, 4 years
  • Presently unemployed, and loving every minute of it

egilbe

First Name
Earl
Threads
Reaction score
Somewhere between ME and AZ, depends on the season
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat with BAP, Tow and FX4
Occupation
Semi-retired, lazy bum/tramp, formerly Sys admin in a toxic work environment
I'm a sysadmin with a cyber security focus working at a manufacturing plant that's ITAR controlled making high reliability tantalum capacitors for medical, military and aerospace industries. Previously worked at a Bank in IT, Spent 2 years active duty in the Army and 20 years MeARNG and retired.Worked Manufacturing in the automobile supply industry and semi-conductor industry. Mostly, I piss people off because I make them follow best practice security policies, that they do their damndest to avoid.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I'm a sysadmin with a cyber security focus working at a manufacturing plant that's ITAR controlled making high reliability tantalum capacitors for medical, military and aerospace industries. Previously worked at a Bank in IT, Spent 2 years active duty in the Army and 20 years MeARNG and retired.Worked Manufacturing in the automobile supply industry and semi-conductor industry. Mostly, I piss people off because I make them follow best practice security policies, that they do their damndest to avoid.
Security is always a PITA, but it is necessary evil in this day and age.....

FX4Offroad

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
I work for a local school system in south Florida. I'm mostly in charge of the deployment of computers to our schools. We just started a deployment of 37,000 laptops to our 234 schools. Deadline is 7 months (Aug 31,2020)...then we start over.

Recently (2018) retired from teaching AutoCAD at local college for 27 years.

A few more years and I'll be retired from all my jobs and get to remodel, travel and enjoy whatever I want.

viperwolf

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Everest 4x4 Titanium BI Turbo, 2015 Ford Ecosport Titanium
Occupation
Retired Military
Hmmm
-I rewound electric motors for a while, single phase and 3 phase, plant size and oil well size.
-then was plumber for the city
-then did electrical for residential,commercial, and industrial.
-Worked at a starter/alternator shop for trucks and tractors.
-Worked in concrete construction for various platforms
-worked for company specializing in building track cars for various events as a mechanic.
-Worked for a telecommunications company building communication towers
-Finally found what I was suppose to do, I joined the Army and never looked back.
Deployed a few times and was injured pretty bad twice. The last one did me in (6 months at Walter Reed) and made me early retire. I already reenlisted for the rest of my life basically. Our bodies are to brittle, I had alot more to do. <-------------------Yes IM very very salty about it.

I think that covers most of it.

gfitzge2

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS, 2019 Ranger, 2021 Mustang Mach 1
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Vehicle Showcase
I am a Lead/Master electrician for a North Texas school district. We have 42 buildings to keep powered up, and only five electricians in the department. Been in the electrical trade since 1982.

20200221_192941.jpg
Mike, nice arc flash suit. Been there done that. Movements restricted, visor fogged up, gloves are so thick that you cant even feel that you have tools in hand, let alone control them but protected from the explosion:like:. Seriously I am not saying that the safety is bad, but in my early days we did those jobs in a T shirt. :whew: Lucky to have survived.

Mpro2

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger xlt
Mike, nice arc flash suit. Been there done that. Movements restricted, visor fogged up, gloves are so thick that you cant even feel that you have tools in hand, let alone control them but protected from the explosion:like:. Seriously I am not saying that the safety is bad, but in my early days we did those jobs in a T shirt. :whew: Lucky to have survived.
Yep, I remember the t-shirt days, but company safety regs have done away with that. Fortunately in this pic, I was re-setting a 480 volt, 800 amp main breaker and it tripped again and didn't blow up in my face! Found the problem up on the roof. A 3 inch feeder conduit had lost its support, and broke at a coupling to short out the wires. Took about 4 hours to repair. Just another day at the office!

20200112_082129.jpg

Nutty 5.0

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 LB Super Crew, 2012 GT500, 2015 VW GSW TDI
Vehicle Showcase
The arc flash stuff is no joke. I spent time working for a #3 pharma’s data center doing controls and had to be in in the same NFPA 70E training as the other folks. Scary stuff. 120v shocks are just a tickle.

Cape Cruiser

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
31 Ford-20 Ranger Lariat FX4- 19 Ranger Lariat 4x2
Occupation
retired mechanic
I worked for an electric utility for 31 years. It was amazing to watch linemen work 500,000 volts live from a helicopter wearing a chain mail suite to draw at least a 10 foot arc from the conductor to their suite into the helicopter. Amazing site and sound that I wont forget. Definitly above my pay grade LOL

gfitzge2

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS, 2019 Ranger, 2021 Mustang Mach 1
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Vehicle Showcase
I worked for an electric utility for 31 years. It was amazing to watch linemen work 500,000 volts live from a helicopter wearing a chain mail suite to draw at least a 10 foot arc from the conductor to their suite into the helicopter. Amazing site and sound that I wont forget. Definitly above my pay grade LOL
I have seen those videos, they are some well trained and definitely brave workers.

As a young electrician I saw a utility guy with high voltage gloves on, hold his kliens near a 13,800 volt line and draw an ark to see that it was hot. I was impressed. Not something I was going to try. I was an Inside construction wire man, and later more of an automation electrician and high voltage was not my thing. Better left to some one that knew what they were doing. Plus as an apprentice I spent a couple of months helping an older lineman. His advice to me was "boy, don't ever let anyone teach you to climb poles" I took his advice.:)
Sponsored