First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Consulting
Interesting vid on what the future of transportation has in store, definitely a thought provoking talk
Sponsored

Peas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
This is legit. When the change comes it will be swift for most. I’ll enjoy what is likely my last vehicle I will own powered by gasoline.

Thanks for sharing.

Eoj

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 lariat fx4
I’ll be willing to bet I can stay away from it for a good long time

OP
OP
Marpater

Marpater

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Consulting
I’ll be willing to bet I can stay away from it for a good long time
I would like to think so, but, when the transition gets in full swing there is a good chance that we will not have a choice per se, the insurance industry will price us out from behind the wheel!

Mark

Last edited:

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I would like to think so, but, when the transition gets in full swing there is a good chance that we will not have a choice per se, the insurance industry will price out from behind the wheel!

Mark
This.

There are TONS of ways that the public can be "persuaded" to choose the new normal.

OP
OP
Marpater

Marpater

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Consulting
This is legit. When the change comes it will be swift for most. I’ll enjoy what is likely my last vehicle I will own powered by gasoline.

Thanks for sharing.
The change is coming and quickly, look at the billions being committed by Ford alone toward EV's, with the next natural step being autonomous, heck my wife Lincoln has the lane centering option and it steers amazingly well, I read just recently there is a guy who has designed an autonomous kit to adapt to any vehicle with freeware you can download.

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
The fact that people applauded when he said he doesn't own a vehicle tells you what kind of audience he has.
That being said, EV's are inevitable and will be dominant in the next 5 - 10 years. Autonomous won't be too far behind.
Where I disagree with him is the cost of ownership of EV's in the future. Just because they will be predominant, doesn't mean they will be cheaper. As the demand for lithium resources for batteries rise, so will the prices.

OP
OP
Marpater

Marpater

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Consulting
The fact that people applauded when he said he doesn't own a vehicle tells you what kind of audience he has.
That being said, EV's are inevitable and will be dominant in the next 5 - 10 years. Autonomous won't be too far behind.
Where I disagree with him is the cost of ownership of EV's in the future. Just because they will be predominant, doesn't mean they will be cheaper. As the demand for lithium resources for batteries rise, so will the prices.
But according to the movie, "Don't look up" there will be a comet coming chalk full of rare earth minerals for batteries, just can't let Apple manage the safe landing of it........

Scott D

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL/STX
I didn't click.

So...if he has no vehicle, how does he get anywhere? Does he just walk the earth like that guy that choked himself to death while playing with himself?

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I for one don't think truly autonomous vehicles will be ready for quite a few years. You can make a car "self driving" for 99% of the time (and we may already be there) - but it is that last 1% that is REALLY, REALLY, REALLY hard to get to. I don't think we have the processing power or the tools to make it work fully yet.

OP
OP
Marpater

Marpater

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Consulting
I for one don't think truly autonomous vehicles will be ready for quite a few years. You can make a car "self driving" for 99% of the time (and we may already be there) - but it is that last 1% that is REALLY, REALLY, REALLY hard to get to. I don't think we have the processing power or the tools to make it work fully yet.
Oh I beg to differ with you, Robotaxi has been testing in Shanghai China for a year, while it restricted to only part of the city it has been operating there for a year and has now been given the green light so to speak to start charging customer for rides.
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/11/25/bai...siness-after-beijing-citys-fare-approval.html

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
i dont want either. ev is not the answer. its just the next way to f us. i like driving. its fun. its a small freedom in a way. ev's do not fix the environment or economy. tinfoil hat me if you wish but think on this- the reason its the big thing now is that the govts of the world have very close control on electricity and all things digital. that means money and power. control.
if this was about saving the planet and going green how come bio diesel electric hybrids that are already proven and tested are not the ticket. burns clean, grows as a plant, gives jobs to agriculture and does not over tax any power grids or create dependency on other nations or rare elements and metals. anyone see a metals mine where they get the stuff for batteries and electronics? its flat horrible, destroys the land and kills off or displaces any animals that were present. aside from often coming with materials that are toxic. typically leading to leaching into ground water etc. and of course has links to all types health problems. even those that are slow to change to newer diesel hybrid tech can run bio fuel! used cooking oil from fast food works like a charm. my old 12v cummins ran like a champ with cooking oil mixed 60/40. smelled like mcdonalds out the tail pipe. take a few environmental communication courses and learn how false go green groups were created and adopted by marxist to further extremist politics. ill keep my evil oil burners until they force me out of it. maybe at my age i will kick the bucket before we are too far gone.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Oh I beg to differ with you, Robotaxi has been testing in Shanghai China for a year, while it restricted to only part of the city it has been operating there for a year and has now been given the green light so to speak to start charging customer for rides.
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/11/25/bai...siness-after-beijing-citys-fare-approval.html
I will let others be the guinea pig on that one.

On a different note, it is much easier to write software to work in a fixed environment (in one city) than it is to do it in the real world and all of its unknowns. That is where all the complexity comes in. Doing it only in one city isn't really making it autonomous, it is just memorizing that particular city. I'm oversimplifying it, but that isn't truly autonomous software they are using.

OP
OP
Marpater

Marpater

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Consulting
i dont want either. ev is not the answer. its just the next way to f us. i like driving. its fun. its a small freedom in a way. ev's do not fix the environment or economy. tinfoil hat me if you wish but think on this- the reason its the big thing now is that the govts of the world have very close control on electricity and all things digital. that means money and power. control.
if this was about saving the planet and going green how come bio diesel electric hybrids that are already proven and tested are not the ticket. burns clean, grows as a plant, gives jobs to agriculture and does not over tax any power grids or create dependency on other nations or rare elements and metals. anyone see a metals mine where they get the stuff for batteries and electronics? its flat horrible, destroys the land and kills off or displaces any animals that were present. aside from often coming with materials that are toxic. typically leading to leaching into ground water etc. and of course has links to all types health problems. even those that are slow to change to newer diesel hybrid tech can run bio fuel! used cooking oil from fast food works like a charm. my old 12v cummins ran like a champ with cooking oil mixed 60/40. smelled like mcdonalds out the tail pipe. take a few environmental communication courses and learn how false go green groups were created and adopted by marxist to further extremist politics. ill keep my evil oil burners until they force me out of it. maybe at my age i will kick the bucket before we are too far gone.
I am not an avocate for either, EV's are the absolutely wrong way to go IMHO manufacturers are not finished squeezing more efficiency out of the ICE's the only reason they are moving to EV's so quickly is the promise of tax breaks, reduction in manufaturing costs and the gaurantees of subsities, and solar and wind is definitely a political scam.
Watch Michael Moores Planet Human, its truly an eye opener. The problem is not you or I or any other reasonable thinking individual, heck any individual who can think for themselves, the problem is media misreporting/exaggerating/outright lying and the alleged benifits of green energy.

OP
OP
Marpater

Marpater

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Consulting
I will let others be the guinea pig on that one.

On a different note, it is much easier to write software to work in a fixed environment (in one city) than it is to do it in the real world and all of its unknowns. That is where all the complexity comes in. Doing it only in one city isn't really making it autonomous, it is just memorizing that particular city. I'm oversimplifying it, but that isn't truly autonomous software they are using.
Oh believe me I get that, but, you are an individual who forms thoughts for yourself, unfortunately a vast majority of our population will be led by the nose until the individuals who think for themselves are grossly outnumbered, I would expound on this but there are political boundaries on this site......
Sponsored