January 2021 Consumer reports, just received

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
CR back before the Internet had some major clout. Every business on the planet was looking for a gold star from them. Then things changed, and not for the good of the consumer. The mafia comment earlier in this thread eludes to that somewhat. CR to me is like Snopes, swallow it if you must but I bet it will be bitter all the same.
CR mostly read by old farts nowadays, big loss in subscribers but you can donate to them in your will . below from

https://www.cjr.org/business_of_news/consumer-reports-wirecutter.php

"Another ongoing challenge is the older demographic of much of CR’s readership. In 2008, the average age of a CR print subscriber was 60, and that of the average online subscriber 50. By 2016, those ages had risen to 65 and 56, respectively. (Part of CR’s revenue includes a planned giving department, which encourages readers of the print magazine to remember the organization in their wills through bequests and gifts of assets.) "
Sponsored

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Lol! It was a little over 6K back then. That particular one was the split window fastback with a 427cu dual quads and a 4 speed stick. Headers with glass packs and side pipes! All factory delivered. My older sisters boyfriend was the only certified mechanic in the Boston area at the time. The pictures are of his car

GaryMc

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat RWD, 2019 Lincoln Nautilus
Occupation
Retired
Have to wonder if the Gladiator displaced the Pontiac Aztek , I wasn't aware that consumer reports made subjective styling comments.

I'd have to give high marks for cool names to the Matador and Gladiator, they suggest bravado, whilst the Ranger name suggests someone who aimlessly wanders around in a forest.
Unless you are from TEXAS, then they are the top law enforcement group in the state. OR the baseball team, which definitely doesn't get very high ratings either right now. :)

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
Unless you are from TEXAS, then they are the top law enforcement group in the state. OR the baseball team, which definitely doesn't get very high ratings either right now. :)
Now the light bulb came on regards the mention of Chuck Norris upstream in this post - he was a TV Texas Ranger - duh !
However for Chuck Norris fans he did sell out and lend his signature to the Tacoma:

“Tough as Chuck” Tacoma ad is the most meta meta Chuck Norris spot yet.

1610404689073.png

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Consumer Reoprts isn’t worth the paper it’s printed on these days. Most of the content is written and reviewed by people that only have a liberal arts degree and still don’t know how to use a can opener. I think everyone here can agree, they don’t have a clue and never will.

NooTrucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab
Occupation
Real Estate Appraiser
I would have to believe it has more to do with the overall ranking of vehicle issues in the past couple of years as reported by owners in the survey than the camera issue alone. The Ranger received marks just slightly above the GM products, I think that should be embarrassing for Ford but like many on here I too don't put much if any stock in CR, I would tend to believe the folks who do aren't very knowledgeable as it pertains to evaluating automobiles.

But if we see a big surge in Gladiator sales then maybe CR stills has a lot of believers and I'll have to eat a copy of the publication.

I completely gave up on CR when some yrs back they choose Subaru Legacy as the car of the year
I owned a 2011 Subaru Legacy, and my son has it now. It was the most reliable car I've ever owned, no problems at all. Boring? Yes. But dependable and competent, for sure.

Having said that, I'm not about to defend CR's methodology, nor their advice. I used to subscribe years ago, but decided to stop wasting my money.

I bought a Ranger because it was the right vehicle for my needs. I

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
CR creates an answer or opinion. Then they created the data to support the answer. Awful organization in my opinion.

Ford Execs met with CR staff. I will not share internal documents, but the adjectives Arrogant and Self Absorbed apply as I recall...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

that408guy

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
CR creates an answer or opinion. Then they created the data to support the answer. Awful organization in my opinion.

Ford Execs met with CR staff. I will not share internal documents, but the adjectives Arrogant and Self Absorbed apply as I recall...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
It almost hurts your head to figure out how they come up with their conclusions. Kickbacks is my only conclusion.

Trustable

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
After looking at what they say for things like vacuums, washing machines, and appliances; I don't think I could take a word CR said seriously. When I bought a washing machine earlier this past june, it seemed their highest rated was the lowest reviewed on every distributor site, independent review, or forum. I dont know if the only people who help create their ratings are only people with bad experiences, but it seems that way. Cant speak to their rating on the ranger since I don't have one yet, but some of their vehicle ratings have been so out there I wonder if they do any research.

gfitzge2

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS, 2019 Ranger, 2021 Mustang Mach 1
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Vehicle Showcase
I'd have to give high marks for cool names to the Matador and Gladiator, they suggest bravado, whilst the Ranger name suggests someone who aimlessly wanders around in a forest.
?

rangers.jpg

gfitzge2

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS, 2019 Ranger, 2021 Mustang Mach 1
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Vehicle Showcase
Nope, that belongs to

D803A8B3-D645-42EA-89BD-DC887E219C28.jpeg

916EA33E-6B76-4E4D-A1E4-5F56447057AD.jpeg
1612458891658.png

1 and 2 or 2 and 1. I don't know but these two are definitely in my top five.

As far as CR goes I quit subscribing years ago because my personal experience with products they reviewed didn't match their opinions. IMHO they are irrelevant in todays world.

Last edited:

shred5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
I would have to believe it has more to do with the overall ranking of vehicle issues in the past couple of years as reported by owners in the survey than the camera issue alone. The Ranger received marks just slightly above the GM products, I think that should be embarrassing for Ford but like many on here I too don't put much if any stock in CR, I would tend to believe the folks who do aren't very knowledgeable as it pertains to evaluating automobiles.

But if we see a big surge in Gladiator sales then maybe CR stills has a lot of believers and I'll have to eat a copy of the publication.

I completely gave up on CR when some yrs back they choose Subaru Legacy as the car of the year

I agree with allot of this. I have never like consumer reports but I admit I have not looked at it in a very very long time.

That said the Gladiator probably has less issues because it has less sales.

Sad for me to say but I really would not rate Ford much higher than GM right now.
I stayed away from GM for a very long time because of issues and denying them and never fixing them.

What I see with the Ranger is the shudder which Ford refused to acknowledge for along time Deny saying it is a characteristic of the truck. They finally have some fix for it.

People with fuel in the oil not being taken care of. Denying anyone has a issue when it is clear some do. Fix the problem.

The remote app Ford pass is garbage.

Same when I owned my Focus. Ranger was me giving Ford a second chance.

Problems do not bother me because all manufacturers have some. What bothers me is when they deny the issue and do not take care of those that have them.

Honestly I never wanted to own a Chevy out of warranty after being burned twice by them. I always liked Ford as a company because even if they had a problem they took care of it before. We have owned allot of Escapes even when they were more truck like. Ford took care of the issues or had a recall. We no longer own a Escape and the Ranger may be the last Ford ever. I just feel so sorry for those with fuel in the oil. What do you do now it is on record because it will hurt trying to sell it being on record.

I would not doubt the rating Ford has on the Ranger. I hope Ford changes and stops this denial. Problems do not bother me, Not owning up to them does.

What good is Fords warranty.
Sponsored

Last edited: