Is this true? MUST finish drain and refill in 10 mins or RISK involved

SemperVee

First Name
Dar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 LARIAT. 2019 Ranger XLT Traded in.
Vehicle Showcase
Just watched this and wonder if this affects us in North America?

Sponsored

u wish u could ride

First Name
robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 xlt in blue
Occupation
building maintenance
I don’t think they use our 2.3 in I think it’s a diesel? Or v 6

viperwolf

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Everest 4x4 Titanium BI Turbo, 2015 Ford Ecosport Titanium
Occupation
Retired Military
Regardless, Oil changes are fun to do on your own vehicle. It never takes 10 mins to drain oil from my experience. I use that time to look at the filter and inspect the oil and area around it.
Now, when the dealer forces you to let them change bc of warranty stuff, this should not be legal in any country.(Referring to dealership I have to deal with here) I hate dealerships so called techs touching my vehicle here. They dont give a crap about what they are doing, absolutely no pride in their work. They have no idea what a freaken torque wrench is(sarcasm) and believe in infinite tight. I know this from personal experience and talking to the techs. The customers are not protected from the dealership itself.

Last edited:

I_smell_like_diesel

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat
Occupation
Self Employed
Just a simple lesson to never assume you know everything! I was instructed in trade school to always refer to all the resources available to you. All our tests were open book because of this. I have see stuff like this first hand....

I worked with an old school mechanic about 8 years ago. He was given an oil change and brake inspection on a second gen Ford Focus. He was doing his job inspecting the whole car and found it had a front main seal leak. He up-sold the customer on it and they bought the job. Instead of looking up the proper procedure, he just started busting everything apart. He started pulling the crankshaft pulley off, heard a ratcheting/slipping noise, and thought nothing of it. He finished the job and started the car but it wouldn't start. We found that the crankshaft is not keyed and uses a metallurgical friction fit to hold the timing chain sprocket in place. The engine was damaged beyond repair, due to damage to the cylinder head and pistons. He ruined an engine because he just assumed every engine is built like and old school American V8.

Assuming, will at the very least, make an a$$ out of yourself and maybe other people too :wink:

lohchief

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 CC.
Occupation
Disabled/retired
Vehicle Showcase
I'm an old harley wrench.Built them,fixed them,rode them,owned my own shop. My rule of thumb: ALWAYS use the shop manual. Nobody remembers everything.

chuck stein

First Name
chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma-now-gone
This issue appears to be normal for Ford's DuraTorq diesel engines !! No self priming pump !!

As the comments on the video say, very dumb design. How could you prime the pump if it fully drained out? I guess Ford just tells everyone to "move fast" when changing the filter?

viperwolf

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Military
Great, now I have to explain to the dealer that its needs to be done in 10 mins. I seriously doubt they follow that rule, why did they design it this way. What the heck would be the benefit?

OP
OP
SemperVee

SemperVee

First Name
Dar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 LARIAT. 2019 Ranger XLT Traded in.
Vehicle Showcase
Just an FYI I found. My whole adult vehicle owning life I ALWAYS did my own oil changes but it was a leap of faith to begin with anyway - going with this engine as I have always been a Chevy V8 Guy. Had my Avalanche 15 years, but I really like my Ranger. My XLT came with 3 years of oil changes at no cost to me (That I know of) It wasn't on the contract to purchase I signed. When I questioned it and said I would rather have the $398 they charged back to service for it they said they backed out of their cost and it was a present to me, no charge. Use it or not, no difference. So with 6-7 quarts of mobile 1 and a oil filter is on them for awhile... :^)

Last edited:

Marshal.

First Name
Marshal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger, 1979 Mazda rx7
Great, now I have to explain to the dealer that its needs to be done in 10 mins. I seriously doubt they follow that rule, why did they design it this way. What the heck would be the benefit?
Because they didn’t. It doesn’t apply to the 2.3 EcoBoost

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Folks,

We do not own Mazda, so not applicable.

I change my own oil...even my Cat C7, which takes 19 quarts of oil... I have all day as a retired person...although I have to say the cranky 70 old body complains about sliding under the truck....sigh! :(

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

viperwolf

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Military
Well my Everest has the Bi Turbo Ranger Raptor engine, so unfortunately, it does apply to me.

viperwolf

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Military
Hi Folks,

We do not own Mazda, so not applicable.

I change my own oil...even my Cat C7, which takes 19 quarts of oil... I have all day as a retired person...although I have to say the cranky 70 old body complains about sliding under the truck....sigh! :(

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Yeah, I was injured twice in Iraq, both were bad but the last did me in. I have pins in my spine,2 spinal cord simulators, and tore up muscles. Some weird nerve damage that never worked out, so it takes a little effort to do things. I use to just get stuff done, now I have to work smart to work less. So even though my age is not bad yet, I understand what you mean.

Dropper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Excursion, F350 soon to be ranger owner
Yeah, I was injured twice in Iraq, both were bad but the last did me in. I have pins in my spine,2 spinal cord simulators, and tore up muscles. Some weird nerve damage that never worked out, so it takes a little effort to do things. I use to just get stuff done, now I have to work smart to work less. So even though my age is not bad yet, I understand what you mean.
thanks for your sacrifice for our freedom and democracy.
Sponsored