Is changing to the locking diff from xlt sport plug and play?

OP
OP

xxEMOxx

First Name
Katie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Crew 4x4 XLT Blue
Occupation
Bars!
Vehicle Showcase
The Ford Performance leveling kit is the Fox kit. If I'm not mistaken I think Stage 3 has it at the lower price that you would get using your pass rewards but your choice. I considered the Fox kit but I wanted to bring the rear up as well and that is why I chose Old Man EMU.
Yeah, I did see that just have to see if it voids my warranty.

If I still lived in southern NV I'd consider a rear end lift cause of all the BLM roads but for farmland 31s are fine, I mostly want the leveling kit for aesthetics, and the skid plates for rocks, corn stalks, and DEER, cause little bastards just love to jump infront of cars here!
Sponsored

Reactions: Doc

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Yeah, I did see that just have to see if it voids my warranty.

If I still lived in southern NV I'd consider a rear end lift cause of all the BLM roads but for farmland 31s are fine, I mostly want the leveling kit for aesthetics, and the skid plates for rocks, corn stalks, and DEER, cause little bastards just love to jump infront of cars here!
It shouldn't void your warranty. I work at ont of the Ford Dealers in Colorado and when there is a lift we dont void a warranty unless we can somehow prove that it cause the problem and that is a rare case.

SOHK_Alumni

First Name
Win
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2019 Ranger FX4, 2002 Vanden Plas, 1977 Eclat
Occupation
Glorified Mechanic
Get a torsen limited slip...no wires, no pumps, and between that and traction control you should be good to go.
Where did you find one for the G5 Ranger?

Michel Jeanneau

First Name
Michel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX FX4 the black beast
Last edited:

Michel Jeanneau

First Name
Michel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

SOHK_Alumni

First Name
Win
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Glorified Mechanic

milehibry

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
While we are on the subject of rear axles....
Is there ANYONE that makes a posi(limited slip) or true locker(non-air) for our base rear axle.
I don't like nor desire an electric locking diff.
Too many limitations, top speed, $$$, and as stated above, w/o a hard to find complete axle swap.
I've had many earlier Rangers that I did Explorer limited slip/disc brake axle swaps.
Old school technology and labor.
Very simple and wonderful results.
I prefer a non locker because I miss having a "limited slip/posi" in the winter.
Not looking for serious off road traction.
Just everyday "winter traction"!
What model is our stock axle and any ideas?
Thanks, milehibry

SOHK_Alumni

First Name
Win
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Glorified Mechanic
While we are on the subject of rear axles....
Is there ANYONE that makes a posi(limited slip) or true locker(non-air) for our base rear axle.

Thanks, milehibry
No "off the shelf" options that I've found, and the like the new Ranger, the new Colorado and Canyon guys are looking too.

Only path I can see for the Dana 44A Advantek/M220 is a Jeep JL or JT spec LSD carrier from Crown or Dana and custom axle shafts to marry the Jeep spec carrier to the Ford housing.

Not insurmountable but, to add spice to the sauce, it's my understanding Ford uses welded ring gears so a new ring and pinion set would have to be part of of the equation.

I'm paranoid enough to probably want two sets of axle shafts so when a rear wheel bearing does fail, I'd have a new shaft waiting in the wings.

So, LSD carrier, about $550, ring and pinion set, $350, bearings and shims, $150 and axle shafts about $400. Call it $1600 all in.

To trim the costs, find a take off ring/pinion/lsd carrier set from someone who added taller gears and a locker to a new Wrangler or Gladiator.

OP
OP

xxEMOxx

First Name
Katie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Crew 4x4 XLT Blue
Occupation
Bars!
Vehicle Showcase
The gladiator was actually one of the other trucks I looked at, just Jeep didn't seem very motivated to want to move units and work with me, unless they where bleh base models that basically negated the point of a gladiator.

With as long as the Ranger has been out in international markets Im shocked there isnt more options for the rear end, but then again we Mericans! Tend to go over board, buy a 35k truck, add 20k mods, then change our minds and do it all over again, so I suppose its only a matter of time, probably 2-3 years for aftermarket support to ramp up. I wouldn't be amazed if by Sema this fall we start seeing alot more accessories rolling out.

That is of course if Ford doesn't drop a refresh/style change on us for 2021.

jleds

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Get a torsen limited slip...no wires, no pumps, and between that and traction control you should be good to go.
Would you happen to know of any companies that currently make a torsen diff for the Ranger?

Michel Jeanneau

First Name
Michel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Would you happen to know of any companies that currently make a torsen diff for the Ranger?
Nope...they make one for the DANA 44 on the jeeps but I am told those have the wrong shaft spline count

SOHK_Alumni

First Name
Win
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Glorified Mechanic
Have to admit, getting a Ford 8.8 TracLok carrier and housing machined to accept the 80mm axle tubes is a path I'm considering.

Just gotta take a bit of a weekend to crack open the rear diff and measure and count the splines.

Will answer the question on Jeep vs Ford shafts and if the Dana or Crown carrier is a possible and if the 8.8 would mate up to the Ford shafts as well.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Have to admit, getting a Ford 8.8 TracLok carrier and housing machined to accept the 80mm axle tubes is a path I'm considering.

Just gotta take a bit of a weekend to crack open the rear diff and measure and count the splines.

Will answer the question on Jeep vs Ford shafts and if the Dana or Crown carrier is a possible and if the 8.8 would mate up to the Ford shafts as well.
If I remember correctly the non locker diffs run a 32 spline on the Ranger and the e locker diffs run a 31 spline. If you get an e locker from one that came with it you could change the axles as well but then just need to hook up a power and ground to operate the locker. Or just go air locker since it is available. As for a torsen diff I do know it is in discussions at Ford Performance at this time. I found out this morning and mentioned to them how a bunch of us would be interested. Hopefully that will help but no promises.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
there's a ROW ranger on the saeb.net forums where someone swapped an entire axle assembly from a locker truck to a non-locker truck and used Forscan to turn it on.

But IDK if our harness has all the pluggy spots for the locker to hook up,

You're options could also include "buy a full rearend off a parted out truck with a locker, and wire an on/off switch.

in addition to the Eaton TracLock, and ARB air Locker that is available. (I don't have links, but they exist)
Sponsored