Intermediate Right turn grind?

remtv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT , 2001 Subaru Outback
Occupation
Engineer, Student
Drove the 80 miles to the dealer I purchased it from, they told me it will be 24-72 hours till they take a look at it, I had asked when I made the appointment if they had loaners and was told probably not but I forgot to ask anyway:rolleyes:, I will update with what they say, hopefully its not " we can't replicate sorry"
Sponsored

remtv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT , 2001 Subaru Outback
Occupation
Engineer, Student
Well got an update, dealer called me telling that they didn't hear it, I sent my video and they said they are going to check some more. Got a call back and the found the sound was actually coming from the left wheel (should have checked lol) The inside finder liner was coming off and missing some of the plastic pins so the wheel has been just rubbing against it, he said it actually wore a hole through it and they are ordering a new one which should be in tomorrow.

Edit: welp looks like new eta is Tuesday for parts and then however long it takes them to fix it:rolleyes: , I would mind so much if they had provided a loaner since we had alot of appointments this upcoming week so that sucks.

Last edited:

Tazmanken

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired
I
So today while going to lunch with my family I was making a right turn and out of no where I heard a grind and felt it coming from the front drivers side tire.
Any idea or advice would be great.
Have a all stock 2020 Ranger and it does this, when I make a left turn it sounds like the edge of the tire rubs the mudflap but I don't see anything rubbing. Won't take it to the dealer until it does it all the time or brakes.

Rocketeer61

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I have had this happen to me as well on a 2020 FX4, around 3 times on a new truck, less than 1,000 miles. Always turning right out of a parking lot from a stop. I noticed it has always been when there's a slight downward angle coming out of the lot. I slightly lift my foot off the gas pedal then re-apply, and the noise goes away.
That's what mine does!

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
Mine doesn't do this, but I wonder if it might be a locking hub that is not fully unlocking? Way back in the WARN manual hub days, they might not have released when you turned them back to 2WD. But then if you backed up for ~30ft in 2WD they would fully disengage.

Rocketeer61

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I have had this happen to me as well on a 2020 FX4, around 3 times on a new truck, less than 1,000 miles. Always turning right out of a parking lot from a stop. I noticed it has always been when there's a slight downward angle coming out of the lot. I slightly lift my foot off the gas pedal then re-apply, and the noise goes away.
That's exactly what mine is doing. 2020 STX 4x4.

Matsterious

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Big Bend 2.7L Mid Package 4.27
Mine has done this 3 times. Pulling out of my parking garage turning right and it sounds like grinding. Almost like two spinning gears aren't seated and are trying to come together (if that makes sense). Make me feel a little better knowing thisnt isn't just my stock 2021 fx4.

Pinbalz

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
Occupation
Service
I think I have what you have... Mine sounds way louder and way clunkier and my vehicle will actually halt to a stop a little if I force acceleration hard enough... I read somewhere about sand or debris getting where the brake rotors are, sort of makes sense. Mine will only happy every once in a long while now. Happened pretty consistently first 6 months but I try to replicate it the same way and same areas it used to happen and I can't get it to happen. I also took vehicle into dealer for service check and they said it was all good but keep note if I can make it happen consistently.

EDIT: My hard grinding sound will come from left front tire wheel well area and only coming off of driveways in a full lock right turn.
I have brand new 2021 Tremor and I am getting this. If I back out of driveway turning 3/4 to full right turn onto narrow street, grinding. Have not yet tried the other way yet. Only when backing up. Truck has 101 miles on it. May take to dealer.

Pinbalz

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
Occupation
Service
Well got an update, dealer called me telling that they didn't hear it, I sent my video and they said they are going to check some more. Got a call back and the found the sound was actually coming from the left wheel (should have checked lol) The inside finder liner was coming off and missing some of the plastic pins so the wheel has been just rubbing against it, he said it actually wore a hole through it and they are ordering a new one which should be in tomorrow.

Edit: welp looks like new eta is Tuesday for parts and then however long it takes them to fix it:rolleyes: , I would mind so much if they had provided a loaner since we had alot of appointments this upcoming week so that sucks.
Mine sounds like the front driver as well. I originally thought tire was hitting well. Maybe/Maybe not…hmmm.

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Mine sounds like the front driver as well. I originally thought tire was hitting well. Maybe/Maybe not…hmmm.
Yeah I stopped caring because the dealer just goes, I will note it and then if it continues then we can do something about it. I know if I bring it in it won't be replicated for some reason. It comes and goes, sometimes its there, sometimes its not. Weird as heck.

Peter949

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
Out of curiosity. Have you guys got more updates? Mine binds/halts when make a sharp right with a little dip.

Matsterious

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Big Bend 2.7L Mid Package 4.27
Out of curiosity. Have you guys got more updates? Mine binds/halts when make a sharp right with a little dip.
Mine happens if i take hard right turns down a big dip. I noticed the traction control light flickered (like 1 milasec) when it happened. I think its the truck taking over b/c it thinks something bad is happening as i turned right down hitting that bump. It happened 3 times and now I go even slower so it won't happen.
Sponsored