Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Escape, 2016 Odyssey
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
File this under "Things To Keep Busy With In Quarantine"...

Perhaps this is old news to some of you, but an idea struck me tonight. I have service records with dates and mileage. Also I periodically take pictures of my dash, usually to brag to my buddy with a coyote F-150 about the great mileage I'm getting. Annnnnd I'm kind of a data nerd. So what if I put all that together...

1586840338510.png

1586840275517.png

By solving the trendline equation, I can project that I will drive 17,452 miles per year (I'll check that next month) and I will hit 100,000 miles in March 2025.
Sponsored

IL8APEX

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Don't forget the "Covid-19 Work From Home" correction. I think I've started my truck twice this month so far.

-T

Murphie

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4X2, 2023 Hyundai Santa Fe
Occupation
Financial Auditor - Retired

Perhaps this is old news to some of you, but an idea struck me tonight. I have service records with dates and mileage. Also I periodically take pictures of my dash, usually to brag to my buddy with a coyote F-150 about the great mileage I'm getting. Annnnnd I'm kind of a data nerd. So what if I put all that together...

1586840338510.png

1586840275517.png

By solving the trendline equation, I can project that I will drive 17,452 miles per year (I'll check that next month) and I will hit 100,000 miles in March 2025.
I do something very similar with my 'service record' worksheet. As a fellow data nerd, I may need to incorporate your trendline idea into mine.

Deleted member 1634

Welcome fellow data nerds. I've been keeping a record using Fuelly. Unfortunately I started late. 2 months and 6332 miles after purchase. Fuelly can combine a lot of different data. Mileage, time, distance, type of driving, amount of fuel, money spent, etc.

Here's my odometer graph to date, exporting data from my Fuelly account. I extrapolated between purchase date (5/24/2019) and first record date (8/1/2019). The slope has definitely tapered off since around November, when our non-winter travel season ended. Little spike around Christmas travels. And a very sharp plateau over the last month or so, for obvious reasons. I was on track to average ~30k per year, but with recent events restricting our travel/trips for the foreseeable future, and my wife's new car that we'll use for our non-camping/non-adventuring trips instead, my average will go down significantly.

1586873989681.png

pa-fatboy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2016 Mustang GT Premium, 1966 Mustang Convertible C Code, 2019 Ford Fusion, 2005 Ford Focus ST
Vehicle Showcase

Perhaps this is old news to some of you, but an idea struck me tonight. I have service records with dates and mileage. Also I periodically take pictures of my dash, usually to brag to my buddy with a coyote F-150 about the great mileage I'm getting. Annnnnd I'm kind of a data nerd.

I have been doing something something like this for a long time now. Although, I have to admit, I have been slacking off with my Ranger.

I save all gas receipts and write down my mileage. Once a month or so I type them into a spreadsheet including mileage, gallons used, cost per gallon and a code for gas station.

My buddy owns the local Sunoco and I like to inform him how many miles per gallon I get from his gas versus others.

I also record any amount for service, insurance, upgrades and registration for my vehicles.

I get the true cost per mile to operate. Average miles between oil changes. Cost to insure per mile...

I started it in 2005 because gas was getting high. It skyrocketed to nearly $5 gallon. People were saying it would never go down again. I drove ~75 miles a day going to work and home. My DD was a Ford Explorer 5.0 awd. Gas mileage sucked! I think it was around 13 mpg. I bought a Ford Focus ST. I started the spreadsheet to see just on the price of gas per gallon, how long it would take to break even. You know that Focus ST never got better than 27 mpg? Even on long highway pulls I never hit 29 mpg. The SS is on my computer, but I think it was like 3 years to break even on switching vehicles.

Tracking data and being nerdy with it can be fun. Since I don’t drive to work anymore, I stopped tracking mpg and all the rest. I do have a folder where I keep all upgrade and service receipts together.
Sponsored