Markbe35

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Super Crew
Hey Everyone,

I installed new rear Bilstein shocks this weekend and made a small mistake on the divers side. I placed the nut on the bolt at the bottom and missed placing it in the sleeve. I didn't notice the error until after tightening the bolt completely, crushing the sleeve. I tried repairing it but one side is too folded in. Everything tightens up OK but the nut loosens a bit while driving (clearing what the sleeve helps prevent).

So what are my options? I was thinking of simply adding blue thread locker to replace the intended purpose of the sleeve to prevent the nut from loosening. Is this enough? Other options?

Thanks,
Sponsored

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ‘23 Macan,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
You should be able to bend the tab out slightly and install it correctly.

OP
OP

Markbe35

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You should be able to bend the tab out slightly and install it correctly.
I was able to fix the top of the tab and the left side to a point. The right side is crushed completely. I'm not able to move it at all.

OxyGenIII

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus ST maybe Ranger in a couple days.
Try adding a small lock washer on the outside and worst case, a new nylon lock nut. Both together should prevent what the tab is designed to do.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
See if you can get a big flat blade screwdriver in there and pry it up.

If that's not possible, I'd get the correct size Nylock nut and install that with a washer.

OP
OP

Markbe35

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See if you can get a big flat blade screwdriver in there and pry it up.

If that's not possible, I'd get the correct size Nylock nut and install that with a washer.
Would thread locker not work here, maybe in addition to a lock washer?

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Would thread locker not work here, maybe in addition to a lock washer?
Thread locker will certainly work, it's just gonna be a lot harder to remove if ever needed.

The Nylock nuts also hold well in areas that are subject to vibration since they damp a lot of it out and I don't think those bolts are torqued all that tight.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
I did this too an it was above the exhaust so it was too tight to mess with bending it back out so I just put a little blue loc tite on it an it's been a year. If I ever do a cat back I'll straighten it out then.

In my defense the exhaust was in the way of seeing it LOL. Word of advise do the drivers side first to get a good view before doing the passenger side.

OP
OP

Markbe35

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I did this too an it was above the exhaust so it was too tight to mess with bending it back out so I just put a little blue loc tite on it an it's been a year. If I ever do a cat back I'll straighten it out then.

In my defense the exhaust was in the way of seeing it LOL. Word of advise do the drivers side first to get a good view before doing the passenger side.
Good to know, thanks for replying.

For me, I was trying to get the bolt through when the shock slipped out. The nut dropped at the same time and I didn't put enough focus on that side leading to the error.

I will use the blue loc tite and see how it goes.

OP
OP

Markbe35

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Have you tested the torque on that bolt to see if it is still good? Or use a paint pen?

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
Have you tested the torque on that bolt to see if it is still good? Or use a paint pen?
Nope but I'd notice the difference if one of the shocks wasn't connected. I over tightened them...I used my German torque wrench...."Goodentight"
Sponsored