Infotainment Screen went black while driving.

Dustoff262

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat, black package
While driving today, I notice the infotainment screen was frozen and wouldnt let me switch audio sources. Then 5 minutes later, it went black, as if it was totally off. I stopped, turned off the vehicle and then restarted in hopes it was a glich that would reset itself but to no avail. Has anyone else had this problem. I have a 2020 Ford Ranger Lariat.
Sponsored

rausa64

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
While driving today, I notice the infotainment screen was frozen and wouldnt let me switch audio sources. Then 5 minutes later, it went black, as if it was totally off. I stopped, turned off the vehicle and then restarted in hopes it was a glich that would reset itself but to no avail. Has anyone else had this problem. I have a 2020 Ford Ranger Lariat.
Good morning,

My glitch occurred when my vehicle either attempted or was connected to my house WiFi. I have no idea why it was behaving the way that it was. The only way I was able to "nail" down the problem was that we also owned a 2018 Ford Escape with the Sync 3. It was acting peculiar, but not in the same manner as the Ranger. When I removed them both from the house WiFi, all returned to normal and has been normal.
HTH.
v/r,
Rich

Deleted member 1634

Mine has done this a couple times in the last few days. I've just let it be when it happens and it's come back on it's own after anywhere from 10-30 seconds. If it persists after the update I plan to apply here within the next couple days, then I'll consider bringing it up at my next oil change in a couple weeks.

2019 XLT, not connected to wifi

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Dustoff262

Dustoff262

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would have no idea how to disconnect it from the wifi because the screen is blank and since its a touch screen, no buttons are available.

Adventure Ranger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariate Crew Cab FX4 Sport
Occupation
Heavy Equipment / Truck shop Foreman
Vehicle Showcase
That happened to me once, right after I plugged my I-phone8 into the USB under the dash. I realized that my phone was locked up as well. It didn't come back after disconnecting my phone, had to shut down the truck and let it sit for a minute to power everything down. Then once I restarted it worked fine, made sure it was good before plugging in my phone again. hasn't happened since.

rltriumph

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Pipefitter
Welcome to sync 3. The newer vehicles aren't nearly as bad a s those a few years ago. My wifes 2017 escape is either possessed or jus a POS. Did a several hundred mile trip with no radio, nothing because it decided to have a time out.

jss81258

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat 4x4, 2004 Chevrolet Corvette Z06
Occupation
Fixed equipment inspector
Have you guys tried a soft reset when this happens? Hold down the power button and fast forward button for something like 5 seconds and it should reboot. Mine has had the habit of going to the Nav screen and won't show the menu bar. Soft reset seems to cure it at least until the next time. Mine also had some sort of over the air update. Don't know if that had anything to do with it.

OP
OP
Dustoff262

Dustoff262

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just went out to try the soft reset and before I could do it, it is working now. I scheduled an appt with the dealer on Thursday for oil change and to check the infotainment. Even if its working now, no telling why it took a time out and if it would do it again.

Found a youtube post that had the same problem.

rdgallo

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4X4
Occupation
Retired Caterpillar, Inc. Senior Quality Engineer
I have a 2020 Ranger that the screen has gone black on me two times. Both times it came back on after i shut the truck off for at least 5 minutes and restarted it. If I shut it off and then immediately restarted it, It would remain black. Have any of you had the dealer tell you the cause and then fix it?

OP
OP
Dustoff262

Dustoff262

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When I took it to the dealer. They did a master reset of the infotainment and havent had a problem since. Your 2020 ranger should be under warranty.

OP
OP
Dustoff262

Dustoff262

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sync 3.4 and says its up to date

BGRanger

First Name
Brendan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
I had this problem today. The screen just went black. But the backup camera was working. So I did a soft reset - volume plus fast forward for several seconds, then sync rebooted and the screen came back up with a brand new UI. Seems like I received an update. Kind of awkward to have to do it this way though
I had this problem, black screen even though the backup camera was working, which seems to have occurred coincidentally with a sync 3 software update. I did a soft reset - volume and fast forward together for several seconds, and it rebooted with a brand new UI.

jkaluski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Instead of waiting 5 minutes, I shut off the truck, key out, and open the driver door as if I'm getting out. That seems to shut it down completely, at least for me. I then close the door and start the FFR as normal, then the screen comes back as if it didn't just screw me over on the 401.
Sponsored