I will keep my gas powered Ford Ranger until the wheels fall off.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
According to Al Gore, we ran out of fossil fuel 20 years ago...
Sponsored

CrazyIvan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
I'll throw this out there again (since this topic has been hashed many times on this forum in the past) for all those opposed to battery electric vehicles.

What do you think should be the alternative? We only have a few decades of oil/gasoline left, so continuing the course with ICE's is not a long term option. So something needs to change and happen. If not BEVs, then what? And I'm serious here.

**And to be clear, BEVs are not my favorite solution, I'm more in the Hydrogen camp. But nevertheless, BEVs are better than not changing anything and being SOL when the tap runs dry.
At this point I am not concerned about running out of fossil fuel. I am more concerned with the future where summer weather lasts 6 or more months out of the year.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
According to Al Gore, we ran out of fossil fuel 20 years ago...
That was only a prediction and once Al was exposed as to how high his electric bills were ($30k/yr) he cut the usage which has greatly extended the longevity of fossil fuels .

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
That was only a prediction and once Al was exposed as to how high his electric bills were ($30k/yr) he cut the usage which has greatly extended the longevity of fossil fuels .
His inconvenient truth...

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
So your answer to my question is to just keep going status quo then?
I didn't say that...I did say we should have anti gravity Jetson cars... ?

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I'd like to ride fossil fuels until we're truly out (and not sitting on billions of barrels in reserve). During this time I'd like everything to transition to nuclear (LFTR) -> Hydrogen fuel cel ->mild hydrogen/electric hybrid.

It's the only way we can generate enough energy (or release/capture and reform as we all know energy isn't created).

Capturing enough solar to power the worlds cars is currently, and for the foreseeable future impossible. And the windmills are lazy bastards that like to sit unused for days (here in Michigan). There is a line of them on Maui too that I watched not move (not even once) for two weeks over Christmas/New Years this year.

KNI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Raptor 2021
What do you think should be the alternative? We only have a few decades of oil/gasoline left, so continuing the course with ICE's is not a long term option. So something needs to change and happen. If not BEVs, then what? And I'm serious here.
1. Hydrocarbons are the most convenient energy storage medium for handling, storage and energy density.

2. Electricity is the most convenient way to move things with it's high torque, instant response and energy efficiency.

3. Reducing CO2 emissions is requirement for car manufacturers in many countries.

4. Diesel/gasoline are not pure and contain non-favorable external elements.

5. Batteries & Electricity suck at providing heat.

So let's tackle em all.

My proposal is that we use hybrids cars. We utilize clean enough hydrocarbons so that we can utilize Solid oxide fuel cells (SOFC) to generate electricity which then propels the cars though electric motor(s) and reduction gears (opposed to having a gear box). For short term energy storage (SOFC -> Motor / Braking regeneration) we should utilize water based super capacitors.

In cold climates the SOFC will generate adequate heat for the happy passengers.

And since it's politically viable to make this endeavor CO2 negative, we generate those hydrocarbons out from thin air with electricity generated through renewable sources with power-to-x (P2X) techniques and pump the excess to ground to lubricate the tectonic plates. P2X "solar-wells" we build to middle east so that we can keep the political climate, economy and oil tankers as is.

Win-Win...

Everyone drives electric, CO2 emissions are zero and oil industry keeps the jobs.

Avanti

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Retired
Itā€™s very simple - if EVs were better than gasoline vehicles, then the government would not have to make the latter illegal or unaffordable.
I really like the simplicity of the EVs. And 1 hour recharge or 1/2 partial recharge is great to alleviate worries about accidentally exhausting the battery. But those kind of recharge times are not acceptable for road trips. Anything more than 5 minutes is too long. The Tesla Super Charger has a maximum current of 525 amps. I think that pretty much maxed out cables thickness for a recharger connection. Seems like the 480 volt charger would need to be increased to 3000 volts. You probably would be required to empty the vehicle and stand in a blast shelter for the 5 minutes.
As far as towing with an EV, if gas engines are made illegal there probably wonā€™t be anything left to tow.

OP
OP

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Content Provider For SPAM
Vehicle Showcase
I already have a cybertruck on order
Where is your Ford Motor Company loyalty?

I can almost assure you that Barnum Bailey Elon Musk will do a specifications Cybertruck "bait and switch" and this truck will not be the same during his first introduction. :devil:

BTW - Inquire at your local bank for more funds to pay for this truck. Elon also accepts bitcoin
but the IRS will be on your tail :frown:

Last edited:

DeathRanger

First Name
Peyton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Sport 4x4
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
Where is your Ford Motor Company loyalty?

I can almost assure you that Barnum Bailey Elon Musk will do a specifications Cybertruck "bait and switch" and this truck will not be the same during his first introduction. :devil:

BTW - Inquire at your local bank for more funds to pay for this truck. Elon also accepts bitcoin
but the IRS will be on your tail :frown:
I like Rangers. Only vehicles I've ever owned and driven. My loyalty towards Ford is in the Electric Ranger I've been wanting since the 1st one nearly 21 years ago. Since that doesn't exist, I'll have to look elsewhere for a vehicle

The previous tesla vehicles have gone into mass production and were almost identical to the design drawings. I'm not worried about bait and switch. Just a nice electric truck with 400-500 miles range and ability to occasionally tow something

PL8SWPR

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger XLT, '18 Mustang GT, '14 Ford Explorer
At this point I am not concerned about running out of fossil fuel. I am more concerned with the future where summer weather lasts 6 or more months out of the year.

Climates change. It happens. If it didn't, we'd be wearing winter coats in July...

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Dam...climate changing again...it's getting warm and the sun's setting later...Stop this...I'll pay anything...

DeathRanger

First Name
Peyton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Sport 4x4
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
Solar panels aren't much help in Ohio...it's only sunny 4 days a year.

EV's of some design are probably the future but these artificial dates an early mandates aren't practical. There are many drawbacks to the current tech an lack of charging facilities. I'm not opposed to owning one I just don't want one forced on me that doesn't meet my needs....an these nut jobs in charge now want to shut down oil production BEFORE there's a practical solution in widespread use.
Sponsored