I will keep my gas powered Ford Ranger until the wheels fall off.

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Content Provider For SPAM
Vehicle Showcase

I am very much surprised how the BEV (Battery Electric Vehicle) group is telling everyone to jump aboard and buy one. California senators want all NEW vehicles to be BEV by 2035.

BEV good issue:
1. Rid this country off of dirty fossil fuels which supposedly affects "climate change"

BEV bad issues - IMHO:
1. Only 2-3% (now) of all car/trucks sold in the US are BEVs. This leaves millions of ICE vehicles.
2. The BEV cost compared to ICE (Internal Combustion Engine - gasoline/diesel powered)
vehicles are thousands dollars higher in cost.
3. The Lithium BEV battery loses 40% mileage range during cold weather.
4. The Lithium BEV battery has a finite number of charge/discharge cycles before expiring. Replacement of this battery pack will cost thousands and the BEV trade in will sink value. Forget about buying a used BEV!
5. Imagine, through government laws, that require all vehicles to be a BEV, the power grid in this country cannot withstand the load and will collapse when millions of BEVs are connected for charging.
6. Lithium, used in BEVs, will be in short supply and this commodity price will rise dramatically due to many automotive suppliers chasing an ever depleting supply of Lithium.
7. Thousands employees of automotive suppliers and manufacturing will lose their employment due to less man hours/parts to build a BEV.
:cool:
Sponsored

Last edited:

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman

I am very much surprised how the BEV (Battery Electric Vehicle) group is telling everyone to jump aboard and buy one. California senators want all vehicles to be BEV in 2035.

BEV good issue:
1. Rid this country off of dirty fossil fuels which supposedly affects "climate change"

BEV bad issues - IMHO:
1. Only 2-3% (now) of all car/trucks sold in the US are BEVs. This leaves millions of ICE vehicles.
2. The BEV cost compared to ICE (Internal Combustion Engine - gasoline/diesel powered)
vehicles are thousands dollars higher in cost.
3. The Lithium BEV battery loses 40% mileage range during cold weather.
4. The Lithium BEV battery has a finite number of charge/discharge cycles before expiring. Replacement of this battery pack will cost thousands and the BEV trade in will sink value. Forget about buying a used BEV!
5. Imagine, through government laws, that require all vehicles to be a BEV, the power grid in this country cannot withstand the load and will collapse when millions of BEVs are connected for charging.
6. Lithium, used in BEVs, will be in short supply and this commodity price will rise dramatically due to many automotive suppliers chasing an ever depleting supply of Lithium.
7. Thousands employees of automotive suppliers and manufacturing will lose their employment due to less man hours/parts to build a BEV.
:cool:
Just so you know "all new cars," not "all cars."

Our next new family car will be a baby 'zilla powered Mustang GT God willing. Gotta get one while we can.

California sets the tone on this. Nothing we can do to stop it, just gotta prepare.

OP
OP

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Content Provider For SPAM
Vehicle Showcase
Our next new family car will be a baby 'zilla powered Mustang GT God willing. Gotta get one while we can.
The government $6500 rebate should be good for the first 200,000 Mustangs built by Ford. :like:

codestp202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
I love my truck, but I'm extremely excited about an electric daily, I would also love to have an electric dirtbike. The ease of use, lack of maintenance, instant torque, and stealth of EV's is hard to argue with. Also, quite a few of your points I believe are not accurate. I've had so many ICE cars/trucks/motorcycles and I will always love them, but there is no denying EV is the future for 99% of people. Collectors and enthusiasts will absolutely hold onto ICE vehicles.

1.That's not an issue, simply a statistic
2.New technology is always expensive; look at solar and how far the prices have dropped as development increased, cost of scale, ect
3.EV's definitely suffer in the cold, but with battery warming, pretty sure company's are reducing the issue. I don't think its anywhere close to 40% and this will be improved even more over time
4.Mileage may vary, but the Tesla's are running for well over 150k miles with only 10% battery degradation from what I've read. This should only get better as technology improves.
5.That is definitely an issue that needs addressing. But producing more energy is not an unsolvable problem whatsoever.
6. Sure, but they are constantly developing new battery tech. We may be able to move away from lithium based batteries to solid state.
7. Pretty sure they've debunked that EV will kill the job market. The jobs will shift to other parts of the renewable energy sector.

This post sounds like people who yelled about how their horses will never be replaced with a Model T Ford. I am far from an EV fanboy, but seeing what it's done to e-mtbs, electric dirtbikes, standard passenger vehicles, there is so much potential in the EV market.

Also, putting climate change in quotations is a huge red flag for this post.

Here are some quick links I found to read up on. There's a lot more info out, and I think its clear that many automakers are still in their infancy on EV technology. Imagine how much better the tech will be in just 5 years.

https://electrek.co/2020/06/12/tesla-data-battery-degradation-limited-mileage-packs-equal/

https://electrek.co/2020/06/06/tesla-battery-degradation-replacement/

https://www.driveelectricvt.com/win...nside of the,lead to further range reductions.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
EV's have their advantages an disadvantages. Most EV fans under report the impact of all the mining an disposal of the items in the batteries. California already has rolling black outs an brown outs. Wait until a few million more people plug their car in every night.

I haven't flown in years, I always travel by car an the lack of charging stations an charging time makes EV's less practical for interstate travel. MY Elon Musk worshiping nephews talk about these networks of rapid chargers coming but right now we can't generate the power for them IF they are built. How many millions of Americans live in multitenant building with no way to charge an EV overnight.
I do like the lack of maint.

NNayak

First Name
Neel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat RTR
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
Having driven several EVs owned by friends and by my place of work, I am personally very excited to own an EV pickup truck. Some pros, as I see them, are:
  • Throttle response and torque delivery at low RPMs
  • High peak torque
  • Higher control frequency allows finer traction control, or more effective off-road traction control
  • Flexibility in motor packaging allows increased ground clearance
  • More compact powertrain allows for more on-vehicle storage
  • Reduced mechanical complexity theoretically results in less required service.
The big downside for me at the current point in time is the uncertainty surrounding effective ranges while towing loads -- I'd like to be able to tow my track car (which is and will remain an ICE vehicle:)) around without range anxiety.

I was hoping that the Tesla Cybertruck would fit the bill, but I cant get over the looks and clear usability issues with that vehicle. It looks like it was designed for the Hummer H2 market rather than for groups of people who want utility from their pickups. I'm pretty excited about the Rivian offerings but its unclear if that company will be able to meet its production targets.

Unfortunately, I think EVs have an image problem in this country, which IMO is partially due to a certain group of people who associate their vehicles with their masculinity...

Last edited:

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Unfortunately, I think EVs have an image problem in this country, which IMO is partially due to a certain group of people who associate their vehicles with their masculinity...
I think the problem is it seems most EV an hybrid drivers have a superiority complex about they're better than everyone else because they're saving the world. No one wants to be one of those a holes

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
EVā€™s have their place but will only be a portion of what will come. Weā€™re probably going to see hydrogen, more LNG and ICE. There is only so much rare earth materials available. Itā€™s all about carbon footprint and returns on lifecycles.

NNayak

First Name
Neel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat RTR
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
I think the problem is it seems most EV an hybrid drivers have a superiority complex about they're better than everyone else because they're saving the world. No one wants to be one of those a holes
I too remember that very hilarious South Park episode, but I don't think that stereotype necessarily applies universally anymore. In my experience (I know, I know, anecdotes...) the hybrid owners I know fall into three categories:

• People who don't give an F about cars and just want the cheapest to operate appliance available
  • People who care about cars and are car enthusiasts, but want something cost effective to operate on a daily basis so they can focus more funds on the cars they care about
  • People who care about the environment and the implications of continued dependence on fossil fuels (which btw there is nothing wrong with...). Can't speak for everyone, but in my personal circle this category does include hunters/outdoorsmen/conservationists who certainly aren't the self-congratulatory type you are describing.

codestp202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
I have my doubts that hydrogen will take off. Toyota is selling their hydrogen car at a huge loss. I think the market is shifting towards EV as being the primary propulsion for vehicles. I'm sure we'll see something else eventually come out, but EV is definitely going to be the next primary drivetrain in vehicles.

2020FRL

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat, 2014 Harley Tri Glide
Occupation
Retired
Electric Car.jpeg

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
The government $6500 rebate should be good for the first 200,000 Mustangs built by Ford. :like:
Yeah, I think you misunderstood my post. Not looking for an electric vehicle just yet myself. The baby 'zilla I mentioned is the Coyote replacement. A downsized version of the 7.2 Godzilla engine. It'll probably be the last V8 Ford developes.

Unless there are government rebates for fun cars I don't know about.

NNayak

First Name
Neel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat RTR
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
I think the point of this image is to remind everyone that a portion of our electricity is generated by fossil fuels, but I think a nuance that gets lost often is that stationary gas and coal generation is significantly more thermally efficient than a mobile IC engine without exhaust energy recapture.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
One of my nephews has a Tesla S an one has a hybrid (an a full size GM suv) an they are all about alternative energy an EV's an if you even question the green new deal you're a hate monger an anti science. They're really smart guys in their 30's that got hooked an won't even listen to another point of view on the topic. My opinion is it's way too early to ditch carbon energy...the technology an infrastructure doesn't exist yet an won't for decades. IF you find one you like that fits your needs an you can afford it enjoy yourself. I'd own a Tesla S too, it's a nice car but not in the cards for me.

Swishpapasweets

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT,1998 Ford Ranger XLT
EVs have their place but to completely remove ICE engines is asking or trouble. even if range of EV were 500+ you still have issues getting it charged when it runs dry and long wait periods vs just dropping gas to get you home in a shorter amount of time. I wouldnt mind using an ev for a daily once i find one thats cheap enough and simple enough to work on
Sponsored