Got my new Ranger a few days ago, should I keep the purchased extended warranties / maintenance?

What should I do given my situation?

• Total voters

alazar14

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger (2019), Chevrolet Camaro 2002 Anniversary Edition
Hi all,

I picked up my ranger a few days ago, and it has been good so far. One thing I discovered after leaving the dealership was that the price I paid for the extended warranties was quite a bit more than what I should have. I was unaware that I could haggle these prices as much as I did with the truck, so when they offered me a $300 "discount" if I took them, I accepted. Sadly, I fond out that I probably overpaid a combined $1500- $2000 for these.

Fortunately, in CA, there is a 30 day window where for $100 processing fee, they refund the extended warranties no questions asked, no worries about prorated nonsense so long as I haven't gone in for service. The issue is, I have to refund both of them at the same time.

Here's what I paid.

Warranty 1 - Ford Premium Care, $0 deductible, Covers bumper to bumper 7 years or 100,000 miles (I will reach the years first, I don't drive much). I paid $2360 (For this one, though it is overpriced, I do not think it is completely unreasonable).

Warranty 2 - Ford Premium Maintenance Plan - Covers all maintenance needs (and apparently alternator falls into this as well?) for 7 years or 75,000 miles. Cost $2340.

These overlap with the included 3 years 36,000 bumper to bumper and 5 year 60,000 powertrain. In other words, Warranty 1 really just covers the last 4 years bumper to bumper.

What do you guys think? Should I go back and cancel, and try to find a better deal elsewhere? There are some horror stories of my dealership being difficult to work with with regard to cancellation of these insurance plans. I read a few reviews on the dealership's google page that say it took people months to get their money back, and many days of contacting dealership.

I got the warranties for 2 reasons (1) The damn Ecoboost and all the electronics in modern cars/trucks that are prone to fail, and (2) I'm a teacher, and, quite frankly, I didn't want to worry or spend a long time shopping around for mechanics and good prices when/if something happened to the truck.
Sponsored

Cape Cruiser

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
31 Ford-20 Ranger Lariat FX4- 19 Ranger Lariat 4x2
Occupation
retired mechanic
Hi all,

I picked up my ranger a few days ago, and it has been good so far. One thing I discovered after leaving the dealership was that the price I paid for the extended warranties was quite a bit more than what I should have. I was unaware that I could haggle these prices as much as I did with the truck, so when they offered me a $300 "discount" if I took them, I accepted. Sadly, I fond out that I probably overpaid a combined $1500- $2000 for these.

Fortunately, in CA, there is a 30 day window where for $100 processing fee, they refund the extended warranties no questions asked, no worries about prorated nonsense so long as I haven't gone in for service. The issue is, I have to refund both of them at the same time.

Here's what I paid.

Warranty 1 - Ford Premium Care, $0 deductible, Covers bumper to bumper 7 years or 100,000 miles (I will reach the years first, I don't drive much). I paid $2360 (For this one, though it is overpriced, I do not think it is completely unreasonable).

Warranty 2 - Ford Premium Maintenance Plan - Covers all maintenance needs (and apparently alternator falls into this as well?) for 7 years or 75,000 miles. Cost $2340.

These overlap with the included 3 years 36,000 bumper to bumper and 5 year 60,000 powertrain. In other words, Warranty 1 really just covers the last 4 years bumper to bumper.

What do you guys think? Should I go back and cancel, and try to find a better deal elsewhere? There are some horror stories of my dealership being difficult to work with with regard to cancellation of these insurance plans. I read a few reviews on the dealership's google page that say it took people months to get their money back, and many days of contacting dealership.

I got the warranties for 2 reasons (1) The damn Ecoboost and all the electronics in modern cars/trucks that are prone to fail, and (2) I'm a teacher, and, quite frankly, I didn't want to worry or spend a long time shopping around for mechanics and good prices when/if something happened to the truck.
Check out the forum extended warranty and you will see prices from Flood Ford. I paid 700 for 6 years 75,000 mile 100 deductible, I would cancel it at that price. Good luck

Reactions: Doc

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
I think a extended warranty on the Ranger is a good idea, I'd cancel what you bought and buy it again from Flood Ford. Even paying the $100 processing fee to cancel, you'd still save hundreds or thousands on the same plan from Flood Ford.

The maintenance plan is another story, if you were going to do all of the maintenance yourself anyway, then it's way more expensive than DIY. But if you planned to let the dealer take care of it, you might save money by prepaying for the maintenance plan.

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
I have owned over a dozen new Fords and none has had unscheduled maintenance costs in the first 100,000 miles.
Emissions and drivetrain are covered for 60,000miles anyway as are bumper to bumper expenses for 36,000miles.
Are you going to sell this truck before 100,000miles?
Is the warranty transferable?
I would just set aside $5000 in a dedicated savings account to cover the warranty costs, then if not spent during the warranty period, use the money for anything you please!!:like::clap::party::beer::rain::cool::champagne:

$5000 is 20% of my purchase price and worth consideration!
I didn't vote on the survey because every person has different risk tolerance.

Last edited:

khyros

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Crewcab FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Holy flying chickens Batman, that's a lot of money. Your 75k maintenance package is going to include 7 oil changes, 3 cabin air filter replacements, 2 engine air filter replacements, and 2 fuel filter replacements (er, pretty sure these are diesel only though). Oil changes with semi-synthetic are typically ~$50, cabin air filter replacements ~$30, engine air filter ~$20, for a total of $430... and that's assuming you hit the 75k mark. Even if my numbers are low and you double the cost, that's still $860 of maintenance (spread out over 7 years, so you'd have to discount it back to today's cost if you wanted a true apples to apples comparison), and you're paying $2340. But perhaps I'm over simplifying things, because you stated something along the lines of it covers the alternator... even though the alternator isn't a serviceable item (at 150k you're supposed to replace the belts, but the alternator doesn't have a replacement schedule).

As for the extended warranty, if you're confident that you'll hit the years first, then you're basically saying that you're extending your powertrain warranty from 5 years to 7 years for $2360. They call it bumper to bumper, but from what I've seen, it'll be hard to get them to honor a bunch of stuff such as squeaks and rattles in the interior, it's really more of a "functional" warranty at that point (ie, windows don't go up/down). But the most expensive repair would be ~$3000 to rebuild a trans... But that's highly improbable. I would personally say that it's not worth the $$ on a chance that my vehicle has an issue.

All that being said... if you crash the vehicle tomorrow, you're out that $4500. If you wait until you have an issue, it's likely <$4500.

Edit: PS - It's my understanding that you can buy the extended warranty at any time, as long as it's still under factory warranty. So you can get a 2 year 11 month feel for your vehicle before you decide if you feel like it's going to be worth it to get the extended warranty.

Last edited:

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Holy flying chickens Batman, that's a lot of money. Your 75k maintenance package is going to include 7 oil changes, 3 cabin air filter replacements, 2 engine air filter replacements, and 2 fuel filter replacements (er, pretty sure these are diesel only though). Oil changes with semi-synthetic are typically ~$50, cabin air filter replacements ~$30, engine air filter ~$20, for a total of $430... and that's assuming you hit the 75k mark. Even if my numbers are low and you double the cost, that's still $860 of maintenance (spread out over 7 years, so you'd have to discount it back to today's cost if you wanted a true apples to apples comparison), and you're paying $2340. But perhaps I'm over simplifying things, because you stated something along the lines of it covers the alternator... even though the alternator isn't a serviceable item (at 150k you're supposed to replace the belts, but the alternator doesn't have a replacement schedule).

As for the extended warranty, if you're confident that you'll hit the years first, then you're basically saying that you're extending your powertrain warranty from 5 years to 7 years for $2360. They call it bumper to bumper, but from what I've seen, it'll be hard to get them to honor a bunch of stuff such as squeaks and rattles in the interior, it's really more of a "functional" warranty at that point (ie, windows don't go up/down). But the most expensive repair would be ~$3000 to rebuild a trans... But that's highly improbable. I would personally say that it's not worth the $$ on a chance that my vehicle has an issue.

All that being said... if you crash the vehicle tomorrow, you're out that $4500. If you wait until you have an issue, it's likely <$4500.

Edit: PS - It's my understanding that you can buy the extended warranty at any time, as long as it's still under factory warranty. So you can get a 2 year 11 month feel for your vehicle before you decide if you feel like it's going to be worth it to get the extended warranty.
FYI Flood Ford charges $880 for the same 7 year/75K mile premium maintenance plan that @alazar14 bought. According to your own math, that's a good deal since you calculated the same services a la carte would be roughly $860.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/thre...-you-buy-a-extended-warranty.1068/#post-11797

OP
OP

alazar14

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have owned over a dozen new Fords and none has had unscheduled maintenance costs in the first 100,000 miles.
Emissions and drivetrain are covered for 60,000miles anyway as are bumper to bumper expenses for 36,000miles.
Are you going to sell this truck before 100,000miles?
Is the warranty transferable?
I would just set aside $5000 in a dedicated savings account to cover the warranty costs, then if not spent during the warranty period, use the money for anything you please!!:like::clap::party::beer::rain::cool::champagne:

$5000 is 20% of my purchase price and worth consideration!
I didn't vote on the survey because every person has different risk tolerance.
Honestly, my mother kept her 1988 Chevrolet S10 pickup 4cyl, and it is still running today, 170,000 miles later. Keeping in mind that truck was a non turbocharged 4 cylinder engine, and the fact the transmission on that truck is manual, I absolutely do not expect my truck to last that long. Still, I would like to keep the Ranger for at LEAST 10 years/120,000, if the Ecoboost survives that long.

I have, currently, no plans to sell the truck. And yes, the $4700 is basically 20% of what I paid for the truck as well.

The reason I bought these warranties is because I am a teacher, and I honestly no longer have time to do my own maintenance like I used to, nor do I have time to worry about finding a good mechanic that won't cheat me with unnecessary repairs. I figured if it is going to cost Ford money to fix it, they prob don't want it to mess up.

Still, I think I will end up canceling it. Wondering just how safe it is to buy from Flood Ford given the fact they are in Rhode Island, and I am in California (its not like I can check in with them if I have any issue).

I should also mention that I am an extremely risk averse person. I drive 60 MPH on my 2002 Camaro, rarely do I go over 65, and I avoid driving at night ... lol.

Last edited:

DHare

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat - Saber; 2020 Ford Edge - Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired
Cancel them. If you start having problems before the basic warranty is up, you can always buy the extended warranty then, or just trade off or sell the truck.

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Honestly, my mother kept her 1988 Chevrolet S10 pickup 4cyl, and it is still running today, 170,000 miles later. Keeping in mind that truck was a non turbocharged 4 cylinder engine, and the fact the transmission on that truck is manual, I absolutely do not expect my truck to last that long. Still, I would like to keep the Ranger for at LEAST 10 years/120,000, if the Ecoboost survives that long.

I have, currently, no plans to sell the truck. And yes, the $4700 is basically 20% of what I paid for the truck as well.

The reason I bought these warranties is because I am a teacher, and I honestly no longer have time to do my own maintenance like I used to, nor do I have time to worry about finding a good mechanic that won't cheat me with unnecessary repairs. I figured if it is going to cost Ford money, they are only going to do the repairs that are necessary.

Still, I think I will end up canceling it. Wondering just how safe it is to buy from Flood Ford given the fact they are in Rhode Island, and I am in California (its not like I can check in with them if I have any issue).
This is what shows up in my Ford Pass app. I bought from Flood Ford and can use the warranty at any Ford dealership.

Of course do your own research about buying a warranty online, but it’s the exact same Ford warranty sold by your original dealership.

DC709F55-E188-42E6-B69B-0D4CDB4A191D.png

OP
OP

alazar14

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is what shows up in my Ford Pass app. I bought from Flood Ford and can use the warranty at any Ford dealership.

Of course do your own research about buying a warranty online, but it’s the exact same Ford warranty sold by your original dealership.

DC709F55-E188-42E6-B69B-0D4CDB4A191D.png
I mean, that looks legit. Man, I just hope that the process of canceling the warranties is not a complete nightmare like some people have said it has been for them. For most folks who seem to be posting about having problems, they were trying to cancel after the 30 day cancellation window, and had to get a prorated amount back.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford

The reason I bought these warranties is because I am a teacher, and I honestly no longer have time to do my own maintenance like I used to, nor do I have time to worry about finding a good mechanic that won't cheat me with unnecessary repairs. I figured if it is going to cost Ford money to fix it, they prob don't want it to mess up.

I should also mention that I am an extremely risk averse person. I drive 60 MPH on my 2002 Camaro, rarely do I go over 65, and I avoid driving at night ... lol.
Keep in mind that the S-10 4CYL had oversized rings because the pistons didn't match the bore.
Also the drive train on the 4Cyl S-10 was better suited to a Chevette.
Also keep in mind that you have just bought a Ford.
I trust the Ecoboost technology....don't worry ....the 2.3L Ecoboost is a FAR better engine than the 2.0L 4CYL in the S-10,
and the new 10SPD automatic is going to prove to be a breakthrough in service and reliability.
If this is your first Ford, expect to be WOWED!

Formula Indy

First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
I took the price list off the forum post with me to negotiate the price. Worked like a charm. I would go back in and ask for a price adjustment or you will return it.

OP
OP

alazar14

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They wouldn't price adjust it, so I returned both. They had me fill out a piece of paper and sign, basically saying that I changed my mind, and would cancel both extended warranties. I did get a copy of that paper, but there was nowhere for the salesman to sign on it, which is concerning. Further, I hope they don't attempt to retaliate by raising my APR from 0% because they are mad I cancelled the policy. The policies were in no way part of the APR negotiation, nor does it explicitly state in my contract that my APR would be increased if I cancelled extended warranty. What the finance guy said would happen is my payments would stay the same, but the total due would go down by the $4700 cost of the two warranties. Does that sound normal?

OP
OP

alazar14

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Keep in mind that the S-10 4CYL had oversized rings because the pistons didn't match the bore.
Also the drive train on the 4Cyl S-10 was better suited to a Chevette.
Also keep in mind that you have just bought a Ford.
I trust the Ecoboost technology....don't worry ....the 2.3L Ecoboost is a FAR better engine than the 2.0L 4CYL in the S-10,
and the new 10SPD automatic is going to prove to be a breakthrough in service and reliability.
If this is your first Ford, expect to be WOWED!
To be fair, this is the first non Chevy product my family has ever seen. My mom has always bought Chevy vehicles since the mid 70s, and my dad as well. I own 2 Camaros, and my dad at one point had an old C/K work truck and a 1990 Camaro before passing away. We have always heard mixed things about Ford's reliability, especially with the ecoboost engines. Then again, our sources of info have been quite bias (e.g., my friend has worked at Toyota and Mazda dealerships most of his adult life). Still, my buddy who used to be a Ford Service guy at our local dealership did tell me to watch out for the Ecoboost engine's "Crud buildup" on intake valves. Something about it being a problem on all direct injected engines, and the turbo making the problem that much more likely to happen. He recommended installing a catch can as soon as my warranty expires, and to have them cleaned before the 60,000 miles are up on the powertrain.

Correction (edit)! I just remembered my dad did own a Ford Ranger, I think it was a 1995 one, pretty old truck. It got stolen within two weeks of him buying it used around 2004. That's why I didn't remember it!

I guess we will see where long term reliability falls with the truck though! I'm happy with it so far. The only issue I've noticed is there is a bit of a buzzing sound when I accelerate in low gears, I'm assuming this is normal because it goes away once I'm past first and second gear. Feels a bit like the engine is working quite hard to get up to speed on those first two gears. Almost like its being forced to go faster than I'd want it to go given how much I'm pressing the throttle.
Sponsored

Last edited: