I need a way to store my topper

Deleted member 1634

You're scaring me.... Aerospace safety factor is for things that fly into space... you can't build them to beefy... they'll never get off the ground.

Back here on Earth, for stuff on the ground, safety factors vary. It's rare to find anything with a safety factor less than 3, especially when injury to life, limb and property are involved. Elevators have a safety factor of 10:1. Pressure vessels have a safety factor of 3.5:1.

The issue with trusses is they are designed for environmental loads (snow, wind loads, etc.) along with the upper chords carrying the weight of the plywood and shingles (sometimes multiple layers of shingles). The lower chord of the truss is some times, not always, designed to support sheet rock and insulation.

So if you let the topper hang from the trusses... and then get a snow storm with high winds... is it still ok?
From experience I can pretty confidently say that there are some trusses that can support all that, yes. Maybe not trusses used in places where there's no extra snow load considerations or whatever, but I've done it and seen it done. When I was growing up we'd hang our large homemade wood canoe (probably in the range of 80lbs) from the rafters, as well as pile all the extra lumber and other seasonal gear up there as well. The trusses also supported our 16'x7' solid wood garage door when it was open as well. Not all hung from a single point obviously, but combined there was a lot of weight hanging or resting on the lower truss supports all the time. We would also get many feet of snow piling up on the roof every winter.

I wouldn't hang the topper, or anything around that weight, from a single point on a single truss. I'd distribute the load in much the same way that another poster mentioned with a beam or two across the trusses.

I think the beauty of this, or any other home project, is that we can each do what we want, you, me, OP, anyone. And in the end it only really affects the person doing it (and the others living there). If I screw up and my trusses collapse, that's my problem and my problem alone. It doesn't affect anyone else. That's what I feel gives me the freedom to experiment and try new ideas at home, my home. I wouldn't do it on anyone else's home, but I would support whatever they decided to do, even if I thought it was wrong (and I have many times), because it's their home.
Sponsored

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
I would support whatever they decided to do, even if I thought it was wrong (and I have many times), because it's their home.
That's a baffling comment and one that reinforces the old saying "Free Advice is Worth What You Paid For It". Caveat Emptor.

Last edited:
OP
OP
r1ch999999

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
AFAIK I have no center beam in my garage, and was told the trusses were really only designed to hold up the door and the sheetrock. I'd love to get rid of the sheetrock and add some supports.

Deleted member 1634

That's a baffling comment and one that reinforces the old saying "Free Advice is Worth What You Paid For It". Caveat Emptor.
I'm not saying I wouldn't divulge my concerns. I always do. But in the end, I can't force someone to do something, it's their choice. All I can do is give them the information and let them decide for themselves. Or at least that's my belief. I believe in teaching, not telling. You're free to disagree.

Also, this has nothing to do with future sale of the home. If it was me, I'd be taking all of the lifting equipment with me anyways.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
I'm not saying I wouldn't divulge my concerns. I always do. But in the end, I can't force someone to do something, it's their choice. All I can do is give them the information and let them decide for themselves. Or at least that's my belief. I believe in teaching, not telling. You're free to disagree.
I don't disagree at all... just responding to your words, which were:

I would support whatever they decided to do, even if I thought it was wrong (and I have many times), because it's their home.
Of course you can't force them to do anything. If somebody wants to do something dangerous though... "supporting their decision" isn't the phrase that comes to mind

Also, this has nothing to do with future sale of the home. If it was me, I'd be taking all of the lifting equipment with me anyways.
The hoist, sure. The wooden beams, not worth the effort.

AFAIK I have no center beam in my garage, and was told the trusses were really only designed to hold up the door and the sheetrock. I'd love to get rid of the sheetrock and add some supports.
Do you have attic access? A retrofit like we did for our Jeep hard top could be done without tearing out sheetrock.

Deleted member 1634

Of course you can't force them to do anything. If somebody wants to do something dangerous though... "supporting their decision" isn't the phrase that comes to mind

The hoist, sure. The wooden beams, not worth the effort.
Yeah, true. I guess "support" isn't necessarily the right phrasing, maybe "allow" or "not fight" is a better term.

Depends on the beam. I already built, installed, removed, and dismantled some homemade I-beams (pair of 2x6's separated by a pair of 2x4's on edge) to support the garage roof when we replaced that load bearing wall. Not perfect, but got the job done. I would probably do something similar (just not 12 feet long like those were) and just take that lumber with me too. I wouldn't leave perfectly good lumber like that, or leave the new owner with the liability of my homemade mess. haha You underestimate my will to do almost anything to save a buck or keep something remotely usable. haha Some would call it a problem. haha

OP
OP
r1ch999999

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
Do you have attic access? A retrofit like we did for our Jeep hard top could be done without tearing out sheetrock.
No, I don't.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
No, I don't.
Another option would be an engine hoist. I have one and have used it for a myriad of things other than hoisting engines. These hoists are made to be disassembled and take up very little floor space. I built a frame to use the hoist to lift sheathing... you could do something similar but more robust, to lift the topper off your truck.

Drywall Hoist Small.JPG

Last edited: