Help me buy my first topper

Count Desmondo

First Name
Desmondo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Supercab
My ARE CX Classic arrived yesterday. For those who are interested, it was exactly 5 months from order to delivery. Among other options, I ordered the windoors as I want access to the truck from the sides.
My DAC tent had already arrived a few weeks ago, so tomorrow is "practice putting the tent on the truck" day. My cot, mattress, storage totes, etc. are ready so I'm off next week for my first back-country trip.

Installed Canopy_1e.jpg
ov 4 last year and it arrived January 28 (so about 12 weeks).
What topper dealer did you order from? I'm looking to order 1 at some point soon. Thanks!

overland_dog

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I ordered my topper in May 2021 and it arrived in October 2021. I love it and it was totally worth the wait! I opted for the OTR color option and a carpeted liner with some other accessories. It’s the ARE V series.

901CC7E3-5009-46DA-BA3D-5A7CE13B43C8.jpeg

DA1EAEF9-4084-4F5F-A284-7CD09A52C880.jpeg

1A4E1B31-76FD-45D0-AE0E-2B00391FC4F7.jpeg

177840FD-0BB7-44C4-8FB3-0C1607696799.jpeg

doug910

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger, '02 BMW 540i
Occupation
Engineer
I ordered my topper in May 2021 and it arrived in October 2021. I love it and it was totally worth the wait! I opted for the OTR color option and a carpeted liner with some other accessories. It’s the ARE V series.

901CC7E3-5009-46DA-BA3D-5A7CE13B43C8.jpeg

DA1EAEF9-4084-4F5F-A284-7CD09A52C880.jpeg

1A4E1B31-76FD-45D0-AE0E-2B00391FC4F7.jpeg

177840FD-0BB7-44C4-8FB3-0C1607696799.jpeg
Extra brownie points for including doggie pics. He's got his own hotel room!

Dr3wDrop

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat Tremor
Does anyone know if a Leer 100R cap for a F150 will fit a ranger?
I only ask because I found one locally for a 2015-2020 F150 with a 5.5' bed that is a paint match.

Last edited:

JBro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 XLT FX4
Occupation
Army veteran/student
Does anyone know if a Leer 100R cap for a F150 will fit a ranger?
I only ask because I found one locally for a 2015-2020 F150 with a 5.5' bed that is a paint match.
Ranger beds are either 60" or 72".

Lostsoul

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat supercab
Occupation
Retired
I bought a 2019 supercab in August. Now I must have a topper (cap, camper top, etc).
I have been watching videos and searching for thoughts, opinions, and experiences anywhere I can, including you tube and any parking lot, as well as google.

My conclusion is that many people have quality and leaking problems with the toppers, no matter the brand. I am trying to prepare for that eventuality.

I will be buying a midrise style topper with opening side windows. Windows that open hatch style, not just sliding.

I am located in South West Florida. My question is:

Can anyone recommend a good cap dealer in Florida? (based on personal experience. I can google) I am willing to travel to get good service. Leer, ARE, Ranch, they all seem the same to me. Any others?

I had a 2005 Ranger with a cheap aluminum top, with side hatch windows, and it never leaked in 12 years!

To complicate matters, I am putting my house up for sale and hope to be permanently leaving Florida for Maryland or Delaware before next summer.

I have seen at least 100 guys complaining about leaks and poor quality on these toppers.

I may copy and paste this on another thread. I hope this is not breaking rules or impolite. after all, I am a nice guy.

Lostsoul

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
The most important thing in my opinion is to figure out how high you need the cap to be. Leer has 3 heights; cab high (100 series), mid high (180 series), and high (122). However, it looks like only the 100 series is available so far for the new Ranger. But I'd check with Leer or a dealer to be sure.

I'm partial to the mid high myself; IME cab high is too low as the rear door hinge (and therefore tallest cargo) is below the top of the cab height.

After that, the different letters in Leer's models deal with the type of side windows and rear glass. After that, there are a whole bunch of options to add, but only you will know what you want of need.

I'm waiting on a mid height Jeraco brand cap myself, and they won't be available until late winter.
Joe, how did the Jeraco cap work out. I am in Florida and there are no Jeraco dealers in the state. When I was in Maryland, where I bought my Ranger, I looked at a used Jeraco that was supposed to fit the Ranger.... nope, it was marked wrong.
In mt search for a cap, I have not seen mention of a Jeraco.

CP0861

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat Supercrew
I bought a 2019 supercab in August. Now I must have a topper (cap, camper top, etc).
I have been watching videos and searching for thoughts, opinions, and experiences anywhere I can, including you tube and any parking lot, as well as google.

My conclusion is that many people have quality and leaking problems with the toppers, no matter the brand. I am trying to prepare for that eventuality.

I will be buying a midrise style topper with opening side windows. Windows that open hatch style, not just sliding.

Can anyone recommend a good cap dealer in Florida? (based on personal experience. I can google) I am willing to travel to get good service. Leer, ARE, Ranch, they all seem the same to me. Any others?

I had a 2005 Ranger with a cheap aluminum top, with side hatch windows, and it never leaked in 12 years!

To complicate matters, I am putting my house up for sale and hope to be permanently leaving Florida for Maryland or Delaware before next summer.

I have seen at least 100 guys complaining about leaks and poor quality on these toppers.

I may copy and paste this on another thread. I hope this is not breaking rules or impolite. after all, I am a nice guy.
If Maryland or Delaware are your 2 options, I'd probably recommend Delaware because it's cheaper to live in.

If you choose Maryland, you're going to get waaaaay more bang for the buck on the Eastern Shore (the part of Maryland east of the Chesapeake Bay - minus Cecil County, we don't count that, haha).

Or if you value peace and quiet and want a slightly cheaper housing market, check out the Eastern Shore of Virginia.

If you have any questions about the area, feel free to reach out. I live near Denton, MD on the middle of the DelMarVa peninsula. I know the shore as well as anyone...from top to bottom. I've worked in all the counties at one point or another and used to be a licensed real estate appraiser and sales agent for a brief time.

As for the topper, I got an ARE with windoors...matching paint, led light, electric lock. Installed and out the door was like $3600 from a dealer in Millsboro, DE. Water gets in around the back hatch, but it's not bad. The quality is ok. The paint wasn't a perfect match, but I'm probably the only one who notices the difference.

Truck with topper.jpg

Lostsoul

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
If Maryland or Delaware are your 2 options, I'd probably recommend Delaware because it's cheaper to live in.

If you choose Maryland, you're going to get waaaaay more bang for the buck on the Eastern Shore (the part of Maryland east of the Chesapeake Bay - minus Cecil County, we don't count that, haha).

Or if you value peace and quiet and want a slightly cheaper housing market, check out the Eastern Shore of Virginia.

If you have any questions about the area, feel free to reach out. I live near Denton, MD on the middle of the DelMarVa peninsula. I know the shore as well as anyone...from top to bottom. I've worked in all the counties at one point or another and used to be a licensed real estate appraiser and sales agent for a brief time.

As for the topper, I got an ARE with windoors...matching paint, led light, electric lock. Installed and out the door was like $3600 from a dealer in Millsboro, DE. Water gets in around the back hatch, but it's not bad. The quality is ok. The paint wasn't a perfect match, but I'm probably the only one who notices the difference.

Truck with topper.jpg

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club

I have a tonneau on mine but after installing it I can see how those and toppers can leak because the front bulkhead is significantly lower than the bed sides. I used the foam strip and corner pieces that came with the tonneau and haven't had any issues.
I had a Ranch cap on my old Sport Trac. I used two layers of foam cap/topper tape on the bed sides, not just for sealing but to keep the cap off the exterior bed hooks that Sport Tracs have.
I got the Ranch cap used, only because the price was good and the color matched, I wasn't really looking for one. IMO Leer and ARE are top shelf stuff, Ranch toppers cost less but they look a little cheaper too with window frames instead of flush-fit glass. Quality and structurally it was perfectly fine and did not leak.
You can also get tailgate seals. Tip: it doesn't rain as much or as hard in MD or DE as it does in FL, on the other hand there is winter.
Unless it was mentioned earlier, you will need to wire the third brake light in the cap. Easiest way, I've done it, is to get a 4-pin trailer harness and tap off the trailer plug. Run the wires up into the cap and you will need a third brake light module from Amazon, costs about $18, to keep the topper's brake light from blinking with the turn signal.

OP
OP

RMD3819

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT

FWIW I am happy with my LEER after several years. Still has minor leaks but I just live with it. i don’t carry anything back there that can’t get a little wet. Other than that the paint hasn't faded, hatch and locks work fine. No complaints about quality beyond what was mentioned.

Mr.Mel

First Name
Mel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT, 1965 Mustang
Occupation
Selling Stuff
I think leaking is not so much a Cap / Topper issue but more from the tailgate which has massive gaps at each end and rain coming down the back window gets funneled to each side and drains through the big gaps into the bed. My Leer has been great once I figured out the back door was too high to leave open and pull out of the garage. Crunch...!
Sponsored