First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Ranger FX4 Lariat (totaled), 23 Audi Q5
Occupation
Automating Buildings and confusing humans
I do work in downtown Orlando.... My wife asked if a walker was playing tricks on me.... It seriously looked like a weave.

@RANGER PRIDE... I wondered if I should even take it in, runs absolutely fine.
You been going down to South OBT? Was in Orlando back in 1985 for Navy nuke power school.

MORPHINE

First Name
Jess
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT Ranger
Occupation
Firefighter Paramedic
You been going down to South OBT? Was in Orlando back in 1985 for Navy nuke power school.
That is indeed where I drive through on the way to work and it is indeed never boring LOL. You see quite a feww "Wigs n weaves" on the trail lol.... Thanks for your service, my family served at McCoy before it was Orlando Airport. I served in the Army (infantry) in Iraq and then later in Afghanistan.

Muffler Update: Dealer confirmed that it is indeed glass pack from the muffler and that they have seen it several times before. I asked about replacing it so it is OEM (just to see what they say) and they said nope. This is a CPO with an additional Premium Care extended warranty..... and prepaid maintenance program. I made my case about it only having, 40,200 miles and zero rust, and was met with another big nope. I love my ranger but am not impressed. May cancel my new Bronco order and reach out to corporate. Not because but needs fixed, but because they refuse to back a product. @Ford shame lol.

MORPHINE

First Name
Jess
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT Ranger
Occupation
Firefighter Paramedic
Im not sure what they need to back, mufflers are a consumable part.
they dont last forever, and you got 40k out of yours. pretty good if i may say.

theres numerous members here who have removed exhausts for aftermarket,
see if you can get one for free and see if your dealer will at least install it for no labor as a good will gesture.
With all due respect, if every Ford muffler failed at 40,000 miles, it'd be a problem. While it is a consumable, it's a steel part that should not fall apart under the conditions I've driven it in or under general driving conditions.
Having a vehicle that's 3 years old with zero rust, driven in Florida and taken extremely well care of ...... I don't think it's unrealistic to expect it to last longer and not fall apart as it's literally a steel part. Some people are perfectly content with substandard performance, maybe you are but I am not that type of person.

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
Im not sure what they need to back, mufflers are a consumable part.
they dont last forever, and you got 40k out of yours. pretty good if i may say.

theres numerous members here who have removed exhausts for aftermarket,
see if you can get one for free and see if your dealer will at least install it for no labor as a good will gesture.
They certainly don't last for ever but they should last the life of the vehicle which also doesn't last for ever.

Every vehicle I have purchased since the mid 80s has had a stainless steel exhaust and I have never had to replace a factory exhaust and I live in New England where they salt the roads.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Add me to the "mufflers aren't exactly wiper blades" camp that would be both shocked and unhappy if the muffler on a new car only lasted 40k. I think the last time I replaced a muffler was on an 83 Toyota with 150k miles. Like everything else in a car, they've gotten better over the years.

Tra1969

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor 501A and Tow
Occupation
Senior Manufacturing Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase
Did anyone ever find out what purpose the spring flapper in the middle of the muffler does???

Potlickr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Ironworker
The flapper is there to control drone at low Rpm.

GM also does this on their trucks with active fuel management. It helps eliminate drone when in V4 mode vs V8…

they started doing this in 2014 after so many complaints from customers that owned 2008-13 models because they could detect the transition between V4 and V8

The Rangers must have it because of the low RPM torque they produce. My truck loves to lug.

TJC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 Miata, 05 Ranger 4x4, 20 Ranger 4x4, 23 CX-5
I had a friend (weapons officer on nuke sub) who took his Nuke engineering training in Idaho near Yellowstone Nat'l Park. This was in the late 70's. He was interviewed by Admiral Rickover and was surprised to be accepted. He told me Rickover was tough as nails.
Sponsored