First Name
Theo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 SuperCrew
Occupation
Clinical Engineering
My wife spent 3 days convincing me to buy a used Ford Ranger and I have would have never guessed how important that decision would be. Ponchatoula got smashed my hurricane Ida, as in we got hit by the eye wall and tornado after tornado for over 6 hours. The story in the media is incorrect, Ida was a cat 5 as sensors at Port Fourchon clocked winds over 182 mph sustained. There is only one noise you heard after Ida and that was the sound of chainsaws for miles. Our neighborhood cut our way out to the main road. Off the main roads, If you did not have smaller 4x4 or ATV you were stuck because of downed and low hanging obstacles. I was able to use the ranger to get out and navigate the roads to find a tree crew with a crane crew in town. I had two trees on my house and might have lost a section if I would not have found them. They took over 7 tons of pine tree off my house. We are grateful to be alive and still have a standing house. Next our ranger allowed us to charge all the electronics, use the hotspot, check on family, and cooling down our children for a nap while my wife and I collected our thoughts for next steps. We survived charging electronics, Dewalt 20v batteries, helping family, and get supplies down small one lane path's through debris. Out of state Family showed up 4 days later with a generator and gas. I cannot be thankful enough for the fuel efficiency of that 2.3L, we lasted on that one tank of gas past the gas lines and into Baton Rouge to get more fuel for everything. We got power after 13 days and still no internet as I am on my phone hotspot. Our ranger was our life line, and the best purchase I have bought since her engagement ring.

We put every aspect of this truck to use after this storm. After the whole experience the only up grades I can see needing are one size tire up, bumper winch, and maybe the OME suspension upgrade. I love the look of all the mods I see on the forums here and was thinking hard on them, but mpg people have reported would not helped in how events played out. It would have cause even more stress and problems. I fully admit, I never own a 4x4 until this truck and have not been down all the trails many people on here have but this is how I see it. I did live though Hurricane Andrew and Katrina, this was 10 time worst for our area. We are still in survival mode down here and my mind might change later after your comments. However in the end I am grateful Ranger owner and believe it lives up to the " Built Ford Tough" Motto.
Sponsored

WOADKIL

First Name
Wil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Supercrew Cab FX4
Occupation
ENGINEER
My wife spent 3 days convincing me to buy a used Ford Ranger and I have would have never guessed how important that decision would be. Ponchatoula got smashed my hurricane Ida, as in we got hit by the eye wall and tornado after tornado for over 6 hours. The story in the media is incorrect, Ida was a cat 5 as sensors at Port Fourchon clocked winds over 182 mph sustained. There is only one noise you heard after Ida and that was the sound of chainsaws for miles. Our neighborhood cut our way out to the main road. Off the main roads, If you did not have smaller 4x4 or ATV you were stuck because of downed and low hanging obstacles. I was able to use the ranger to get out and navigate the roads to find a tree crew with a crane crew in town. I had two trees on my house and might have lost a section if I would not have found them. They took over 7 tons of pine tree off my house. We are grateful to be alive and still have a standing house. Next our ranger allowed us to charge all the electronics, use the hotspot, check on family, and cooling down our children for a nap while my wife and I collected our thoughts for next steps. We survived charging electronics, Dewalt 20v batteries, helping family, and get supplies down small one lane path's through debris. Out of state Family showed up 4 days later with a generator and gas. I cannot be thankful enough for the fuel efficiency of that 2.3L, we lasted on that one tank of gas past the gas lines and into Baton Rouge to get more fuel for everything. We got power after 13 days and still no internet as I am on my phone hotspot. Our ranger was our life line, and the best purchase I have bought since her engagement ring.

We put every aspect of this truck to use after this storm. After the whole experience the only up grades I can see needing are one size tire up, bumper winch, and maybe the OME suspension upgrade. I love the look of all the mods I see on the forums here and was thinking hard on them, but mpg people have reported would not helped in how events played out. It would have cause even more stress and problems. I fully admit, I never own a 4x4 until this truck and have not been down all the trails many people on here have but this is how I see it. I did live though Hurricane Andrew and Katrina, this was 10 time worst for our area. We are still in survival mode down here and my mind might change later after your comments. However in the end I am grateful Ranger owner and believe it lives up to the " Built Ford Tough" Motto.
Glad to hear you and yours are safe, and that the Ranger delivered for you!

Be safe!

BlackRanger01

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Super Cab 4x4
Occupation
IT

Nice story.. glad you all are OK.

Do you have the 120v outlet in the truck? I can imagine it'd help a lot.

Last edited:
OP
OP
sts90

sts90

First Name
Theo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Clinical Engineering
Nice story.. glad you all are OK.

Do you have the 120v outlet in the truck? I can imagine it'd help more if it doesn't.
Yes that is how we were charging the 20v Dewalt batteries.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
I’m glad you and your family are safe Theo. Sometimes, we take our daily drivers for granted and need a bit of a reminder of just how useful some of the Ranger’s features are, even something as simple as a USB port.

Thanks for sharing your story.

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat

Glad you and your family are okay and glad the Ranger was such a big help to you. God Bless you!

OP
OP
sts90

sts90

First Name
Theo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Clinical Engineering
Ford should do a commercial on you and your situation.
a little documentary type commercial.

Now granted many of the other trucks on the market could do the same, but they're pushing the new F150 as an electrical backupand contractor power source, this would segway nicely into that train of thought
not to mention the feel good vibe to it all.
That is a nice dream. I just wanted to share our family's story for a real life perspective. I hope it can help others in a decision make process. I can say that summing up that experience in words was hard. I did my best to not write a novel.

Ronbo

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4+
Occupation
Retired LEO Sgt., USAF & USA Veteran.
Vehicle Showcase
That is a nice dream. I just wanted to share our family's story for a real life perspective. I hope it can help others in a decision make process. I can say that summing up that experience in words was hard. I did my best to not write a novel.
Good story Theo. I can attest to the damage suffered in your area. I was one of those guys slinging a chain saw down there and removing trees from roads and homes. I was a bit south of you in Houma and Dulac. Just got back to my home Sunday. What a mess. Still no power when I left Houma and they were talking about maybe Sept 29th or so. l’ll probably be back down there cutting again on the 25th. Glad to hear your ok and that your Ranger was helpful.
Sponsored