How often should the fuel pump prime itself when the truck is just sitting there?

Dinglehead

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat FX4
....because I’ve heard it make that little clickwhrrrr sound about 5 times in the last hour while working out in the garage.

there’s no way that’s normal right? What’s going on here?
Sponsored

Samsquanch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Expedition XLT
A few people have noticed this recently as well. See the “fuel in oil” thread. When they eventually resolve that issue I won’t be surprised if this is related.

Can’t be normal to have the fuel pump constantly priming like that but it seems to be common. I was in the driveway the other day and heard mine going off.

OP
OP
Dinglehead

Dinglehead

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat FX4
A few people have noticed this recently as well. See the “fuel in oil” thread. When they eventually resolve that issue I won’t be surprised if this is related.

Can’t be normal to have the fuel pump constantly priming like that but it seems to be common. I was in the driveway the other day and heard mine going off.
For some reason it seems to be doing it really frequently now. I wonder what the hell is going on.

Samsquanch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Expedition XLT
For some reason it seems to be doing it really frequently now. I wonder what the hell is going on.
Prob worth taking it to the dealership. Maybe you have a leaky injector or something. If pressure can’t be maintained it might just keep priming. Just a guess on my part.

Dahveed

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x4 / 2020 Ford Edge ST-Line
Occupation
Pharmacy Consultant
Did you have your keys on you? Since you have a Lariat I assume it has Intelligent Access. It may be priming the pump when it detects the fob nearby. My XLT primes when I open the door.

Toytec

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT 302a S/cab 4X4 w/diff lock MG
Occupation
Automotive technician, Retired.
Vehicle Showcase
If you only knew how much fuel pressure is in a direct injection pump. Remember, our trucks don't have port injection and a low pressure fuel pump.
Short story: it primes when it needs to.

OP
OP
Dinglehead

Dinglehead

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat FX4
If you only knew how much fuel pressure is in a direct injection pump. Remember, our trucks don't have port injection and a low pressure fuel pump.
Short story: it primes when it needs to.
Ive been paying attention today. I put my keys in the house and have heard it prime 5 times so far throughout today no door opening or anything.

why would it need to prime so frequently when not being used?

OP
OP
Dinglehead

Dinglehead

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat FX4
Oil level seems normal but definitely has a gas smell. Nothing too overwhelming but it’s there.

myothercarizahearse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX 4x4 w/ GFC V2, 1987 Caddy hearse
Occupation
Unretired
I have never heard any clicks coming from my truck when around it other than unlocking the doors. I have XL trim with no fancy electronics. the oil has always had a slight gas smell but stays at a constant level. so far 2 oil changes down and haven't had strange dirty oil coming out at ~5000 miles each

Toytec

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
"why would it need to prime so frequently when not being used?"

I can't answer that. It's all in what the monitors see in the engine computer. I can tell you this, my truck does it too as I'm in the garage a lot myself. But I pay it no mind.
Do you have leaky injectors? I can't answer that either, but I do know what a super rich cylinder is like on initial start up and my truck has never done it.

So, if you're concerned, take it in. If I was there I'd have a scan tool in hand looking at all the parameters of cold start up, such as injector volume, o2 sensor readings, cylinder imbalance, and fuel pressure. Then I compare this to another same vehicle just to show you it's characteristic of the truck. You can quote me on that to the service writer.

SymChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4 / 2017 Escape SE FWD
Just wondering, but is it only, always the high-pressure fuel pump (hpfp) that is “doing it’s thing”?

I was seeing over in the Bronco Sport forum of how a “fan” sound coming from the front was part of the headlamp assembly. Apparently it can run for upwards of 20 minutes and is to prevent inside condensation. That’s a new thing I’ve just discovered.

With all these electronic components I’ve always figured it’s a few things going on to prepare itself for driving.

Kinda like your dog getting the leash and dropping it at your feet...

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Has there been actual confirmation that the periodic noise is priming the fuel pump? Maybe is just waking up periodically checking for software updates or other self diagnostics?

Toytec

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Exactly.
Another thing is a timer built in the ECM to run a "self check" of the evaporative emissions system. This will occur exactly 5 hours after vehicle has been driven.
Sponsored