Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
When we picked up our brand spanking shiny new 2019 Ranger SuperCab at the dealership the "Miles To E " display showed "0 " miles of fuel remaining, and the out of fuel chime was ringing.

We drove about 3 blocks and filled up the tank with 91 Octane Top Tier gasoline.

It took 18.524 gallons before it shut off the pump. Fuel capacity per page 319 of the owners manual is 18.8 gallons.

18.8 - 18.524 = 0.276 gallons remaining.

My old Bronco owners manual said that if you run it dry on gas it would require at least 5 gallons to start the truck. Had a 32 gal tank so I never let it run out.

Filled my Ranger Thurs when it showed 4 miles til empty and I put in 18.4 gallons. Bought mid grade for $1 off the price with my kroger points

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
Well, they usually don't bother with the washer fluid or tire pressure either. Too busy giving it a quickie wash and putting shiny crap on the tires...because of course the most important thing is how it looks
There is a lube shop near me that does top off the washer fluid as part of their oil change, but they dilute it with water; a lot of water. I had it freeze and couldn't use the washer until I got home and thawed it out with a hair drier. I sucked out most of it with a turkey baster and refilled it.
I don't use them anymore :mad:.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
There is a lube shop near me that does top off the washer fluid as part of their oil change, but they dilute it with water; a lot of water. I had it freeze and couldn't use the washer until I got home and thawed it out with a hair drier. I sucked out most of it with a turkey baster and refilled it.
I don't use them anymore :mad:.
An independent shop or nationwide?

One thing to keep in mind, and I apologize if you already know this, the washer fluid you see at places like Walmart on sale on an end cap state right on them + 32 F. Sure, you'll find windshield washer fluid that's good for freezing temp's.. but you have to know what you are buying.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
An independent shop or nationwide?

One thing to keep in mind, and I apologize if you already know this, the washer fluid you see at places like Walmart on sale on an end cap state right on them + 32 F. Sure, you'll find windshield washer fluid that's good for freezing temp's.. but you have to know what you are buying.
The place is now a Shell Rapid Lube, used to be a Valvoline place. Don't know if they changed ownership or just the franchise.

-20ÂşF washer fluid is the minimum I've ever seen around here. -35ÂşF is also available widely.
289562_usn.jpg
2612800.jpg

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
The place is now a Shell Rapid Lube, used to be a Valvoline place. Don't know if they changed ownership or just the franchise.

-20ÂşF washer fluid is the minimum I've ever seen around here. -35ÂşF is also available widely.
289562_usn.jpg
2612800.jpg
Splash +32.jpg

Craig

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
By scientific observation, the amount of gasoline in the filler neck is just enough to get you into trouble. :crackup: Especially in remote, desolate areas.

Usually between 1/10th -4/10ths, depends on whether your filler is leaning towards or away from the pump is what I usually get - away always puts a more full tank in.
A person could always carry two 4x4's to drive up on the drivers side to get more in. I Vietam we would rise up the filler side of a Huey to get more fuel in, but the circumstances were just a little different.

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
Disappointed in my Costco purchase of gas.
Clearly I couldn't top off the tank as much, and the fuel mileage this week is going in the dumps. Where I can normally squeeze in 4 days of driving to work before filling up, im barely going to get 2.5. Ugh.
That's the real story right there.......

Not how much gas can you fit in the neck, but how soon / easy gas stations are setting the sensor to click off. Costco is notoriously bad about it. They even have a goon-squad out there reminding people not to top off (Cave Creek and 101 Location). I fill up and when I get close to the shut off I voluntarily stop, count to 10, then start again on the low speed notch and take it up to the cut off.

Otherwise Costco cuts off early with a loud KERCHUNG! And before I can get my extra KERCHUNG KERCHUNG in there there's a guy standing there in a yellow vest.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
That's the real story right there.......

Not how much gas can you fit in the neck, but how soon / easy gas stations are setting the sensor to click off. Costco is notoriously bad about it. They even have a goon-squad out there reminding people not to top off (Cave Creek and 101 Location). I fill up and when I get close to the shut off I voluntarily stop, count to 10, then start again on the low speed notch and take it up to the cut off.

Otherwise Costco cuts off early with a loud KERCHUNG! And before I can get my extra KERCHUNG KERCHUNG in there there's a guy standing there in a yellow vest.
Is he social distancing and masked up? Go Karen on him as a diversionary action (while still topping off). It's 2020... ride the wave. :p

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
Is he social distancing and masked up? Go Karen on him as a diversionary action (while still topping off). It's 2020... ride the wave. :p
I've found a very effective phrase to get people to back off lately is a vague "They say I'm not, but I'm concerned I could still be contagious."

Craig

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
A person could always carry two 4x4's to drive up on the drivers side to get more in. I Vietam we would rise up the filler side of a Huey to get more fuel in, but the circumstances were just a little different.
Here is another suggestion, drive around till you run out of fuel. call a tow truck to tow you to the gas station, fill up truck, any thing over 18 gallions is the filler neck amount, Question solved
Sponsored