How Do You Like Your AFE Intercooler Pipes?

Mustang2Ranger

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lariat-FX4,4X4,White Platinum; 06 Escape
I should have mentioned that I did charge pipes and my catless downpipe at the same time so it's quite possible (probable even) that the downpipe did far more than the charge pipes. All I know is that after installing both, the difference was night and day!
I was planning on doing the same thing. No issues with any check engine lights or anything? Engine computer adjusted fine?
Sponsored

Darek661

First Name
Darek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x2 Shadow Black
Occupation
Head of Engineering - Cook Spring Company
Vehicle Showcase
I was planning on doing the same thing. No issues with any check engine lights or anything? Engine computer adjusted fine?
I had to add a no fouler to the bottom O2 sensor otherwise it trips a check engine light for Catalyst efficiency error. After I put the no fouler in, no issues whatsoever. I'm also tuned by Unleashed Tuning but it's worth noting that no tuner that I know of will touch anything emissions related, hence why I have to use the no fouler. Either way though, even without a tune, you'd get a great boost in turbo spool from having less exhaust restriction. That said, I must warn anyone wanting to go catless, it is ridiculously loud!!! Like obnoxiously loud lol, I wrapped my downpipe to help eliminate any reverb or ringing and help with sound deadening. I also had to add a glasspack muffler or else it was just way too obnoxious, not loud in a good way, loud in a fart can ricey way lmao. But now with the glasspack and resonator, it sounds absolutely amazing to me.

Mustang2Ranger

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had to add a no fouler to the bottom O2 sensor otherwise it trips a check engine light for Catalyst efficiency error. After I put the no fouler in, no issues whatsoever. I'm also tuned by Unleashed Tuning but it's worth noting that no tuner that I know of will touch anything emissions related, hence why I have to use the no fouler. Either way though, even without a tune, you'd get a great boost in turbo spool from having less exhaust restriction. That said, I must warn anyone wanting to go catless, it is ridiculously loud!!! Like obnoxiously loud lol, I wrapped my downpipe to help eliminate any reverb or ringing and help with sound deadening. I also had to add a glasspack muffler or else it was just way too obnoxious, not loud in a good way, loud in a fart can ricey way lmao. But now with the glasspack and resonator, it sounds absolutely amazing to me.
Thanks for the info, so to clarify, you went with the Catless option? I see there is one with a high-flow cat, not the one you purchased correct?

MyK9_8it

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
USMC Veteran, current Secret Squirrel
Thanks for the info guys, I've been contemplating adding the charge pipes. I've already done exhaust and an AFE cold air intake. I traded in a '15 SHO for my Ranger, and miss the performance of the 3.5 EcoBoost, even in that heavy thing!

Darek661

First Name
Darek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x2 Shadow Black
Occupation
Head of Engineering - Cook Spring Company
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the info, so to clarify, you went with the Catless option? I see there is one with a high-flow cat, not the one you purchased correct?
Correct, I went with the catless option. I didn't see a need to go with a cat since I'm in Florida and we don't have emissions checks and I'm building my Ranger specifically to get every available ounce of power out of it lol

Mustang2Ranger

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Correct, I went with the catless option. I didn't see a need to go with a cat since I'm in Florida and we don't have emissions checks and I'm building my Ranger specifically to get every available ounce of power out of it lol
Nice, got it. Out here in CA I will go with the catted option and to avoid using the no foul. Even then I will still have to go somewhere to get it passed eventually come smog time

Thanks again for the info. Once my warranty is up I will probably tune it

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
Every time I think "I've done enough to be happy with my truck" some 'practical' upgrade pops up that will provide some absolutely rational benefit that I'll be wanting -

Kevin Franklin

First Name
Tinmender1963
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda FT500. Honda 700SC. 2019 Ford Ranger Sport. 2014 Ford Focus ST. 2017 Ford Escape Titanium. 1994 Ford Ranger Splash. 1986 Ford Mustang GT Splash
Occupation
Damn good question. A lot of different things
Vehicle Showcase
With the AFE sale promotion, I finally pulled the trigger on these pipes today and look forward to making the installation. That's a lie because I do not look forward to the cramped spaces, cut and gouged arms and hands, but I do look forward to the end result and besides they will look cool as hell, so I'll live with a few added scars and blood loss that I would have received doing something else anyway.

I will preface my comment about the usage of increased charge pipes with saying that the Ranger is my 7th turbocharged Ford product, so I have a little background on what works in general. Granted technology has changed tenfold since my first which was a 1979 Mustang Pace car (talk about a learning curve and many burnt pistons) but breathing is a primary building block for increased performance. Regardless of the order in which you do this, it will need to done to facilitate increased performance. If you are on the fence about these pipes, I believe this is an easy mod that will help the engine in several ways and as I said earlier, they will look super cool too!

Being a current owner of a Focus ST for over 5 1/2 years now, aftermarket charge pipes, an increased flow intake with ram air and aftermarket exhaust were my first mods. I knew going in that these would not increase HP and torque significantly, but what they did create was the ability to make HP and torque much quicker. Throttle response increased and spool up was much quicker which resulted in a faster car and better MPG. I later upgraded the intercooler and installed a very reputable and reliable tune. The results were amazing. I made mirror changes in the same order to my 2017 2.0 Escape and the results were equally impressive. The Ranger is slowly receiving the same treatment and as with the other cars, I will build my own intake/ram air system in the near future. Once the company the I use for my tunes finishes their development on the Ranger tune and intercooler, I will complete the transformation. I am anxious awaiting for that to occur and hopefully this will happen before the end of summer.
Well I finally got around to installing the AFE charge pipes. Overall, this is a good product. Can it be improved, absolutely. The clamps for the cold side are grossly under sized which becomes a major pain in the ass, your hands and will test your patience! This is my experience and I have been a professional automotive builder for the better part of almost 40 years, so be patient. I might add that the hot side was a breeze and it was so easy, that I fooled myself into thinking the cold side would be too ?

Did I notice a performance increase, yes in certain conditions. What I noticed most is acceleration during driving, not from a dead start, but when passing or merging onto the highway the truck is more responsive. Nothing head snapping, but there is a decrease in spool time which is what I had hoped for. It's not necessarily more HP and torque, it now just happens at a faster pace.

Was this a good investment for me, yes as I have several more performance modifications on the horizon and these charge pipes will make further enhancements even more effective. Oh and they look cool as hell!

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient
I've got the GFB DV+ myself and while these charge pipes go on my 'things I'd like to get ' list I don't know if I want issues with rubbing/contact with hood insulation. Really like to wait and see if AfE does any design update and quality improvements. After reading some commentary it may be possible replacing the intake side is the greater benefit. Were I a competitor perhaps I'd come up with a single oval-style piece with clearance and cost/I installation savings.

FL.ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
I self installed the pair of pipes, added GFB bypass valve and K&N filter...I'm sure there's a slight performance gain but I have no quantifiable means to determine this...that said, these are standard mods I've done my other tuner cars which have been dyno tested to clearly improve power... ?
Do you clear the hood insulation?

FL.ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Any updates on newer sized pipe from AFE?

FL.ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
I've got the GFB DV+ myself and while these charge pipes go on my 'things I'd like to get ' list I don't know if I want issues with rubbing/contact with hood insulation. Really like to wait and see if AfE does any design update and quality improvements. After reading some commentary it may be possible replacing the intake side is the greater benefit. Were I a competitor perhaps I'd come up with a single oval-style piece with clearance and cost/I installation savings.
They update the fitment?

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient
Will this fit with the boomba bov
I couldn't say, but since it fits between the blowoff and the charge tube I Would think It would but every attachment raises the height of all those components. It's already snug with just the valve on the stock setup.

FL.ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Any updates on the BOV clearance under the hood?
Sponsored