Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
Nice one lol

As far as moving the treadmill, when I moved my older one into my Dad's basement I just took the whole thing apart. Did the same when I put it in my basement in my old house prior. No way was it going down there complete.

Motor was heavy but small, bottom frame and twin rollers as well, so everything was manageable by me alone. I took pics of the number of threads on adjustment screws to reassemble and I carried it down easily piece by piece.
I remembered I kept the file on my treadmill, found it and unfortunately it is the Cybex 900T. The maximum elevation gain is a 20% grade, not 15 degrees. If my math is right, it looks closer to 12 degrees than 15 degrees. :(. I can’t complain as I bought it over 20 years ago and we all 3 got a lot of use out of it.

I will move it over anyway and give it a try, even if it isn’t enough elevatin gain longer term, likely will be adequate to get me going for the rest of this year.

Again, thanks much for the ideas.
Sponsored

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
I remembered I kept the file on my treadmill, found it and unfortunately it is the Cybex 900T. The maximum elevation gain is a 20% grade, not 15 degrees. If my math is right, it looks closer to 12 degrees than 15 degrees. :(. I can’t complain as I bought it over 20 years ago and we all 3 got a lot of use out of it.

I will move it over anyway and give it a try, even if it isn’t enough elevatin gain longer term, likely will be adequate to get me going for the rest of this year.

Again, thanks much for the ideas.
No prob. That should still be fine if you do the backpack with bricks in it. It is pretty easy to load it up to 40lbs or so which will make a big difference.

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
Full discosure before I say anything else. I am curretnly the board vice president (former past president) of a large reginal YMCA. Avid fitness nut and have been lifting and training for well over 30 years.

With all of that said, when covid hit and the state shut our facilities down, I went out an purchased a spin bike and an of all things, one of those "Total Gyms" that Chuck Norris and Christy Brinkley advertise on TV. I have used that Total Gym daily ever since and would recommend one to anyone, even at an advanced fittness level. Even now that our facilities are open, I do 90%+ of my strenght training on that Total Gym. Excellent, simple, and very well designed.
I second that. The total Gym is great. I’ve had one for about 20 years. Same one. Great quality.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Why not pick up a hobby to get your workouts in? Hiking, kayaking, mountaineering, whatever.

I say this because even as a high-school athlete I always struggled with "working out." It always seemed to be such a chore. Such a rigid commitment, you know.

I'm lucky in that my semi-retirement job gives me all the working out I need. I can say that I'm probably in the best shape of my life at 45. But if it weren't for my employment change I wouldn't have done the work to get into this shape.

As I progress through the company and work less, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna need to do something to keep up with my own expectations. Everybody here does it, but I think I'm gonna try to start knocking Colorado 14ers off my list. I did one as a kid, Shavano, 52 to go!

OP
OP
deleriumtremor

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
Why not pick up a hobby to get your workouts in? Hiking, kayaking, mountaineering, whatever.

I say this because even as a high-school athlete I always struggled with "working out." It always seemed to be such a chore. Such a rigid commitment, you know.

I'm lucky in that my semi-retirement job gives me all the working out I need. I can say that I'm probably in the best shape of my life at 45. But if it weren't for my employment change I wouldn't have done the work to get into this shape.

As I progress through the company and work less, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna need to do something to keep up with my own expectations. Everybody here does it, but I think I'm gonna try to start knocking Colorado 14ers off my list. I did one as a kid, Shavano, 52 to go!
We do hike about 5-10 miles most days with the dogs, or at least did until my hip went bad (we also snowshoe our favorite trails when there is too much snow to hike with just our ice cleats.).

For me, I can stay in decent shape hiking. But most of my life I always hit the gym and did both aerobic and strength/flegibility workouts, usually 3-4 times a week, call it an hour and a half all in, coming, going, etc. When we would travel, I always packed at least my TRX kit and got some basic strength training in when a gym wasn’t convenient. Truth be told, I probably was a bit of an endorphin junky.

When COVID hit, the gym kind of went south and I (like pretty much everybody) thought it would pass pretty quickly and I would be back to the old routine. As time wore on and I started to hear people who should know say it wasn’t going away ever, I was like, “damn, I am going to need a new plan”.

Right around that time, my hip really started to get bad (like 8-9 on that doctor cartoon scale they have) and I basically shut down. My wife kept going, out the door each morning with the dogs, me just laying around taking meloxicam, celebrex, etc.

So now, it has been well over a year (actually more like 19 mos) since I last could hike (let alone a do anything strength wise). This morning I was at PT and they put me on a stationary bike, very low drag setting and after about 10 mins my legs felt weak, like I ran say 10 miles.

I used to have very strong legs, rocking the plate rack up when doing squats on a machine with the pin in the bottom plate. My legs have totally atrophied in less than maybe 18 mos, I kind of look like a concentration camp victim, granted not 5 years in a concentration camp, but my knees do kind of bulge out slightly from my legs now.

At my age, it is going to take some serious work, just to get back to half where I was before this whole episode started and truth be told, I may never get there, which kind of bums me a lot. Anyway, that’s why I need to get things dialed at home.

Sorry for the long winded answer, seems I am stuck on TMI.

Bob902

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
RETIRED!!!!
After my back surgery, my surgeon told me I couldn't walk enough. Said no more running, but walk, swim or bike ride as much as I want.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
We do hike about 5-10 miles most days with the dogs, or at least did until my hip went bad (we also snowshoe our favorite trails when there is too much snow to hike with just our ice cleats.).

For me, I can stay in decent shape hiking. But most of my life I always hit the gym and did both aerobic and strength/flegibility workouts, usually 3-4 times a week, call it an hour and a half all in, coming, going, etc. When we would travel, I always packed at least my TRX kit and got some basic strength training in when a gym wasn’t convenient. Truth be told, I probably was a bit of an endorphin junky.

When COVID hit, the gym kind of went south and I (like pretty much everybody) thought it would pass pretty quickly and I would be back to the old routine. As time wore on and I started to hear people who should know say it wasn’t going away ever, I was like, “damn, I am going to need a new plan”.

Right around that time, my hip really started to get bad (like 8-9 on that doctor cartoon scale they have) and I basically shut down. My wife kept going, out the door each morning with the dogs, me just laying around taking meloxicam, celebrex, etc.

So now, it has been well over a year (actually more like 19 mos) since I last could hike (let alone a do anything strength wise). This morning I was at PT and they put me on a stationary bike, very low drag setting and after about 10 mins my legs felt weak, like I ran say 10 miles.

I used to have very strong legs, rocking the plate rack up when doing squats on a machine with the pin in the bottom plate. My legs have totally atrophied in less than maybe 18 mos, I kind of look like a concentration camp victim, granted not 5 years in a concentration camp, but my knees do kind of bulge out slightly from my legs now.

At my age, it is going to take some serious work, just to get back to half where I was before this whole episode started and truth be told, I may never get there, which kind of bums me a lot. Anyway, that’s why I need to get things dialed at home.

Sorry for the long winded answer, seems I am stuck on TMI.
That makes complete sense to me. Once that level of fitness is lost it's gonna take some work to get back.

And with being mid rehab some of those activities are surely gonna be limited.

Last edited:
OP
OP
deleriumtremor

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
That makes complete sense to me. Once that level of fitness is lost it's gonna take some work to get back.

And with being mid rehab some of those activities are surely gonna be limited.
For me, the most vexing thing about aging isn't that I no longer need binoculars to see my expiration date. It is the realization (pre-hip issues) that I had to work pretty hard, just to stay even strength/endurance wise. The funny thing is the aerobic seemed a little easier to maintain.

With the halt of anything conditioning wise, the atrophy in both my legs in the last 18 months is kind of stunning. I know getting back to just where I was before my hip starting killing me is going to be a genuine challenge.

I was thinking over night about your 14'er idea.

There is a book called Seven Summits I read just after it was published, I think. It was about these guys who all were active climbers who decided they were going to be the first to climb the highest peaks in each of the continents. When I read it, I remember getting all fired up about doing something like that myself. Luckily Mary had already started to become indignant at drive-by climbers despoiling Everest, so she kind of heckled me out of the notion.

There is a PBS like series produced locally here on Idaho outdoor activities. A part of one episode was about locals who are doing all the 14'ers here in Idaho. I can't remember how many 14'ers there are (definitely not 52 ;)).

Both Mary and I were fascinated by that segment. I saw it just after my hip really halted me in general, so it was more of a, "that is something wish I would have done.. ". It seems I am healing pretty fast now (pretty sure the Prednisone is playing a role in that) with the only pain in my hip being remnants of the surgery, pain that is fading pretty fast.

Maybe we should start a thread on hobby climbing like your 14'ers? You could kick it off with a recount of your first summiting and then maybe do a chronicle of the next one coming and summiting it as you go. Might become a thing around these parts. ;)

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
For me, the most vexing thing about aging isn't that I no longer need binoculars to see my expiration date. It is the realization (pre-hip issues) that I had to work pretty hard, just to stay even strength/endurance wise. The funny thing is the aerobic seemed a little easier to maintain.

With the halt of anything conditioning wise, the atrophy in both my legs in the last 18 months is kind of stunning. I know getting back to just where I was before my hip starting killing me is going to be a genuine challenge.

I was thinking over night about your 14'er idea.

There is a book called Seven Summits I read just after it was published, I think. It was about these guys who all were active climbers who decided they were going to be the first to climb the highest peaks in each of the continents. When I read it, I remember getting all fired up about doing something like that myself. Luckily Mary had already started to become indignant at drive-by climbers despoiling Everest, so she kind of heckled me out of the notion.

There is a PBS like series produced locally here on Idaho outdoor activities. A part of one episode was about locals who are doing all the 14'ers here in Idaho. I can't remember how many 14'ers there are (definitely not 52 ;)).

Both Mary and I were fascinated by that segment. I saw it just after my hip really halted me in general, so it was more of a, "that is something wish I would have done.. ". It seems I am healing pretty fast now (pretty sure the Prednisone is playing a role in that) with the only pain in my hip being remnants of the surgery, pain that is fading pretty fast.

Maybe we should start a thread on hobby climbing like your 14'ers? You could kick it off with a recount of your first summiting and then maybe do a chronicle of the next one coming and summiting it as you go. Might become a thing around these parts. ;)
You might want to rethink that. A lot of them here are tame enough that a determined person even post hip surgery could do it. I'll bet Idaho has a couple you guys could do together after some rehab.

If I ever get started it'll be a while, but you can bet there will be a thread about it.

OP
OP
deleriumtremor

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
You might want to rethink that. A lot of them here are tame enough that a determined person even post hip surgery could do it. I'll bet Idaho has a couple you guys could do together after some rehab.

If I ever get started it'll be a while, but you can bet there will be a thread about it.
Pretty sure we will hit one in the not too distant future, especially since you reminded me.

I forgot to mention the other old guy thing, memory deficiency, although Mary is razor sharp in that department, so is her mother in her mid-90's, so maybe more of a mental laziness thing.

The only negative I got from that video I saw on Idaho 14'ers are the peaks here are a lot less beauty inspiring than the ones you have to choose from in CO. But 14K is 14K, the average person starts feeling the effects in the oxygen department above 10K.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
Pretty sure we will hit one in the not too distant future, especially since you reminded me.

I forgot to mention the other old guy thing, memory deficiency, although Mary is razor sharp in that department, so is her mother in her mid-90's, so maybe more of a mental laziness thing.

The only negative I got from that video I saw on Idaho 14'ers are the peaks here are a lot less beauty inspiring than the ones you have to choose from in CO. But 14K is 14K, the average person starts feeling the effects in the oxygen department above 10K.
I hope to avoid major memory problems. My wife's memory is horrible already due to medical problems. If I join her we'll be totally lost.

Yep. Altitude sickness can really suck. For me it just sucks the energy out of me. Definitely a good idea to take it slow and steady. When we did Shavano as a kid it was a 2 day hike with camp halfway up.

A guy I work with has probably done 40-45 of them. I'll definitely get some advice from him before I give her a go.

OP
OP
deleriumtremor

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
I hope to avoid major memory problems. My wife's memory is horrible already due to medical problems. If I join her we'll be totally lost.

Yep. Altitude sickness can really suck. For me it just sucks the energy out of me. Definitely a good idea to take it slow and steady. When we did Shavano as a kid it was a 2 day hike with camp halfway up.

A guy I work with has probably done 40-45 of them. I'll definitely get some advice from him before I give her a go.
I remember feeling stricken when you posted about your wife’s surgeries, when you were giving me advice about t(e meds. I remember thinking hard, trying to remember if I had been crying about my hip replacement. Childs play compared to real medical issues. I sure hope she is well now.

I was always lucky with regard to altitude effects. The FAA mandated supplemental oxygen rules always seemed ultra conservative, but everyone is different. I have known guys that couldn’t read the smaller gauges on the panel above 10K without supplemental.

Bob902

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
RETIRED!!!!
I know the first time I went hiking out west, that altitude hits hard. Especially for a Midwestern flatlander.

OP
OP
deleriumtremor

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
I know the first time I went hiking out west, that altitude hits hard. Especially for a Midwestern flatlander.
From everything I have read on the subject, it is also somewhat random how much it affects a given individual at a given time.
Sponsored