Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Super Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired
  • Banned
HVAC scheduled to be replaced today with a slightly upgraded system using the current refrigerant. Keeping the current fan cabinet along with the current electric heating components.

Dryer/Accumulator failed a couple of weeks back, at the end of our cooling season thankfully. Condenser-heat pump unit is 11years old. Original HVAC is nearly 23 years old.

Developed a minor roof leak during the recent tropical storm-23 yo roof. Itā€™s been through a few hail storms too. Shingles didnā€™t fail-vent seals around the vent pipes are dry rotted.

Contractor has been selected and currently waiting to be scheduled for a complete roof replacement on my house and one of my out buildings. Some ceiling repair necessary too.

New territory for me as I either rented or sold my homes previously long before they required any major work.?
Sponsored

Fordup

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Lariat Crew , 1966 Chevrolet Biscayne
Occupation
Retired YouTube Creator
I finally installed my new heat pump water heater. Propane went to $4.99 a year ago and is going higher so I decided to try something different. New water heater only costs 10% of what we spent on propane for hot water so far.

Synfulz

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX4 Diesel :)
Occupation
Retired Powerplant Operator
Vehicle Showcase
I finally installed my new heat pump water heater. Propane went to $4.99 a year ago and is going higher so I decided to try something different. New water heater only costs 10% of what we spent on propane for hot water so far.
I had one of those in my house in Oregon. Works very well and saved me about $20+ a month on electric over the old school type.

Fordup

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Lariat Crew , 1966 Chevrolet Biscayne
Occupation
Retired YouTube Creator
I had one of those in my house in Oregon. Works very well and saved me about $20+ a month on electric over the old school type.
Right now it looks like it will save us about $65 a month over propane.

OP
OP

Progeny2021

Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
  • Banned
Truly interesting! Down here, natural gas service is common, so gas tankless heaters are the current rage. I donā€™t have gas service (propane is available) and replaced my electric water heater with same last year.ā˜ŗ

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
We are building a house currently. HVAC company who installed the split-system gas unit informed us that the unit has a 10 yr warranty parts an labor..Except we will have to pay for the replacement new refringent if it leaks out for Any reason. Noice.

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor
Home ownership is always an adventure, but one I prefer to renting.
We've owned our current home for two years and have spent a boatload of cash to bring it up to reasonable standards:
New roof underlayment and repair (tile roof) on day 2 of ownership
Various plumbing issues and leaks repaired on day 2
25 yr old carpet replaced with ceramic tile
Inside repainted completely
Outside repainted completely
Garage cabinetry removed and walls repaired/repainted completely
All windows and patio door replaced with energy efficient windows and door

There have been some minor things done too, but in the grand scheme of things we think we are pretty much done until something breaks. Now we are hoping to just relax and enjoy the house til we retire and move to higher and cooler ground.

OP
OP

Progeny2021

Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
  • Banned
Home ownership is always an adventure, but one I prefer to renting.
We've owned our current home for two years and have spent a boatload of cash to bring it up to reasonable standards:
New roof underlayment and repair (tile roof) on day 2 of ownership
Various plumbing issues and leaks repaired on day 2
25 yr old carpet replaced with ceramic tile
Inside repainted completely
Outside repainted completely
Garage cabinetry removed and walls repaired/repainted completely
All windows and patio door replaced with energy efficient windows and door

There have been some minor things done too, but in the grand scheme of things we think we are pretty much done until something breaks. Now we are hoping to just relax and enjoy the house til we retire and move to higher and cooler ground.
Dang! Sounds like you bought a ā€˜budget busterā€™ (labor of love) but you made it ā€˜your homeā€™. Congratulations!ā˜ŗ

OP
OP

Progeny2021

Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
  • Banned
We are building a house currently. HVAC company who installed the split-system gas unit informed us that the unit has a 10 yr warranty parts an labor..Except we will have to pay for the replacement new refringent if it leaks out for Any reason. Noice.
You are still coming out ahead. I paid $200 to service my previous unit with one pound of R-22 a few months agoā€¦.first and only time refrigerant has been added since the unit was installed in 2011.

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor
Dang! Sounds like you bought a ā€˜budget busterā€™ (labor of love) but you made it ā€˜your homeā€™. Congratulations!ā˜ŗ
It was a surprise in many ways, but should not have been. The people we bought it from were ancient and moved immediately into an assisted living facility. Their son, who "watched over" their assets and things took the cheap way out on many things and we really could not see what was what until we began to live in the home ourselves. Then it all became apparent. Much of what we did was personal preference, and some was known about through the initial home inspection...which are fine as far as they go but do not take the place of inspections done by actual vendors that specialize in things (roofing, plumbing, HVAC, etc.)

OP
OP

Progeny2021

Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Update: HVAC installed on monday - normally solid owner/tech set the outside unit crooked and left the government yellow power consumption sticker laying on the ground - came back out tuesday and corrected the issues.

Roofing crew of 7 came out Tuesday morning early, worked really well together, paid attention to detail and finished the entire job by 1430. Only the owner spoke english.

I'm now seeking estimates to get everything outside 'soft washed' as was last done about 3 years ago. Decks-porches-outside woodwork get cleaned-resealed every two years. Decks get washed once a year after the pollen run is finished - somewhat late this year.

Getting off to a rough start with the washing firm due this morning to provide an estimate....

OP
OP

Progeny2021

Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
House washing was completed friday. Guy brought his girlfriend and their infant along - she helped when she wasn't tending to the baby. They did a good job overall. Everything came in at under $9,000 ($8,750). I'm happy. Now , get to work on the inside....:party:
Sponsored