First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
RETIRED!!!!
From everything I have read on the subject, it is also somewhat random how much it affects a given individual at a given time.
It really affected my wife. Couple years ago, we did several hikes in Colorado. Came home and took my PT test for work. Barely even broke a sweat. I can see why the Olympic training center is in Colorado Springs
Sponsored

RangerTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
Burpees... high rep... no equipment needed.

Done it all in my life. Gyms... sports... fighting... yoga... running... I have not done anything that compares to straight up old school calisthetics.

https://www.youtube.com/c/IronWolf84 When I first discovered these, my goal was to hit 50 burpees by the time I hit age 50. At the time, it was about 4 months. I hit my goal. Now, two years later, I am doing multiple sets of 50 almost daily. Never felt better.

...your mileage may vary...

Last edited:

Squatchranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger lariat
Vehicle Showcase
I have an enclosed squat rack with safety bars. No spotter needed for squats and bench presses and I put an extra bar across the top for pull-ups and chin ups. Also a bunch of free weights and a dip bar. Simple and effective.

I had more in NJ (cable stuff) and I was able to get a lot of equipment used that ended up being people's clothes racks. So there are some good deals out there used. I've got a single door garage but wide as a two-doors so it's got room for both the truck and weights and workbench. I didn't think I could have room without backing the truck out but a bit of organization made it happen because it's really not good to start and stop the truck everyday like that.

Also I swear by Sole treadmills as they are tough enough for HIIT and go up to 12mph/15% incline now. I bought two over my lifetime, the original still works I just gave it to my Dad. I think it's over 10 years old now? Many of the used treadmills, in-store ones and amazon ones aren't actually designed for running because the band is so small. The Soles are and they start at $1k. Though pounding your knees on a treadmill isn't the best thing if you are older or heavier. I am getting away from it, instead doing just hiking outside or walking with the incline up and a backpack full of bricks. It still gets the heart rate up eventually and is much easier on the knees. HIIT is pretty hard on them.
Honestly spin bikes are a great move too they are way easier on the joints and you can burn a ton of calories and do a lot of great work in even just 30 minutes and with the different positions you do in classes or routines you work all the leg and even core muscles really well. My mom does it religiously and to her credit the results she has gotten speak for themselves shes in fantastic shape

Squatchranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger lariat
Vehicle Showcase
We do hike about 5-10 miles most days with the dogs, or at least did until my hip went bad (we also snowshoe our favorite trails when there is too much snow to hike with just our ice cleats.).

For me, I can stay in decent shape hiking. But most of my life I always hit the gym and did both aerobic and strength/flegibility workouts, usually 3-4 times a week, call it an hour and a half all in, coming, going, etc. When we would travel, I always packed at least my TRX kit and got some basic strength training in when a gym wasn’t convenient. Truth be told, I probably was a bit of an endorphin junky.

When COVID hit, the gym kind of went south and I (like pretty much everybody) thought it would pass pretty quickly and I would be back to the old routine. As time wore on and I started to hear people who should know say it wasn’t going away ever, I was like, “damn, I am going to need a new plan”.

Right around that time, my hip really started to get bad (like 8-9 on that doctor cartoon scale they have) and I basically shut down. My wife kept going, out the door each morning with the dogs, me just laying around taking meloxicam, celebrex, etc.

So now, it has been well over a year (actually more like 19 mos) since I last could hike (let alone a do anything strength wise). This morning I was at PT and they put me on a stationary bike, very low drag setting and after about 10 mins my legs felt weak, like I ran say 10 miles.

I used to have very strong legs, rocking the plate rack up when doing squats on a machine with the pin in the bottom plate. My legs have totally atrophied in less than maybe 18 mos, I kind of look like a concentration camp victim, granted not 5 years in a concentration camp, but my knees do kind of bulge out slightly from my legs now.

At my age, it is going to take some serious work, just to get back to half where I was before this whole episode started and truth be told, I may never get there, which kind of bums me a lot. Anyway, that’s why I need to get things dialed at home.

Sorry for the long winded answer, seems I am stuck on TMI.
Not gonna lie a spin bike would work great there is a ton of flexibility you can use it at low resistance and set your pace then progressively ramp up in intensity and time the entry threshold is super low and for me personally with my recovery from my break its been extremely helpful, also as you get more adept the different positions and movements you do in classes or even by yourself are great to work out your lower body and core

TXRangerTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Tremor
Occupation
Retired
Treadmill, pullup and dip station, resistance bands, floor.
Run, walk, pushups, pullups, burpees for most of the work.
Chinups, dips and bands for additional exercises and to target certain muscle groups.

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
Treadmill, pullup and dip station, resistance bands, floor.
Run, walk, pushups, pullups, burpees for most of the work.
Chinups, dips and bands for additional exercises and to target certain muscle groups.
Man, I’m worn out just reading this.?

TXRangerTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Tremor
Occupation
Retired
Man, I’m worn out just reading this.?
It's a mild routine really. Usually not all are done in one routine. Lots of break in between sets too.
Normal routine would be:
run/walk
pull ups
push ups for 2X pull ups totals
bodyweight squats for 3X the pull ups totals
or burpees for 2X to 3X the pull ups in place of push ups/squats
feeling good then add in:
chin ups
dips for 2X the chin ups
knee raises for 3X the total chin ups
next day do the same with chin up and dips if not done the 1st day or just rest day, mild walking

burpees, pull ups, or push ups done randomly throughout any day

Sophia0110

First Name
Sophia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3
Occupation
IT
I don't have a gym, my husband barely allowed me to put a ping pong table Killerspin in the basement. And then only because he likes to play, soooo I won't have my own gym any time soon.

TXRangerTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Tremor
Occupation
Retired
I don't have a gym, my husband barely allowed me to put a ping pong table Killerspin in the basement. And then only because he likes to play, soooo I won't have my own gym any time soon.
You can do a lot of stuff that does not need much if any equipment. Exercise bands don't take up much room at all and be used anywhere.

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
Well, when we built our house(32 years ago) my husband wouldn’t allow me to put anything on the walls. :rolleyes: Nothing. I finally just put up what I wanted. There’s no “allowing” anything under our roof anymore. We’re a team.:)

Fordup

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Lariat Crew , 1966 Chevrolet Biscayne
Occupation
Retired YouTube Creator
Well, when we built our house(32 years ago) my husband wouldn’t allow me to put anything on the walls. :rolleyes: Nothing. I finally just put up what I wanted. There’s no “allowing” anything under our roof anymore. We’re a team.:)
Happy wife, happy life :sun:.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
?I wonder why?:shock::oops:?

Tracy's Crooked Ranger.jpeg
Sponsored