First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
I used our local YMCA for years and it fit my needs perfectly. It had the Jacobs Ladder (IMO, the greatest single piece of fitness equipment ever invented), battle ropes, Bulgarian Bags, treadmill and of course the Free weights. Everything I needed in one place with plenty of room for the Ropes, etc.

When Covid hit, my YMCA routine went out the window. Shortly thereafter my hip started hurting so it didn't matter.

I personally do think Covid is very likely with us for the duration, so I need to focus on a home workout from now on.

We have a large storage room that I was using a little bit as my "Covid free, delusionary PT will fix my hip right up area."

Currently in the storage area I have a really old stationary bike, a weight bench, some dumbbells and a lot of elastic loops and bands (kind of isometric stuff). I will never have the room for the Battle Ropes, unless I am willing to back the vehicles out of the garage each time I want to use it (probably not happening), so those are bye, bye for me now. No way to get the Jacobs Ladder up into the storage room, even if I could find a good used one to buy (new is crazy expensive).

Any ideas on what you use for your home gym would be appreciated. It won't be long before I need to get back at it.
Sponsored

Bob902

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
RETIRED!!!!
I've got a Bowflex and some free weights in the basement. Nice cuz I don't have to wait in line of drive anywhere. And I try to walk at least six miles a day. Not much, but it works for me.

OP
OP
deleriumtremor

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
I have and use a set of resistance bands as I build for strength. I am unable to do cardio so I like being able to use the bands as nothing else is needed to work the major muscle groups.
I too like the bands, it is amazing actually how much you can accomplish with them. I could upgrade in that area with just a few anchors. Before I quit of my hip, when I used a single length, I would put a knot in it and close it in the door, which worked great unless Mary came in when I had it stretched tight... :0

OP
OP
deleriumtremor

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
I've got a Bowflex and some free weights in the basement. Nice cuz I don't have to wait in line of drive anywhere. And I try to walk at least six miles a day. Not much, but it works for me.
Yeah, I am pretty done with gyms, for a lot of reasons.

In recent years, like the last 10 or so, we have walked/hiked between 5 and 10 miles a day. Partly for our fitness and also really for the dogs. Our current dogs have always gotten that treatment since they were pups (Mary has solo'ed it with them since my hip went pear shaped), they go ape if they get more than a one day off. We can't leave them alone in the house when they are like that. They are like, "it's payback time!"

Bob902

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
RETIRED!!!!
Yeah, I am pretty done with gyms, for a lot of reasons.

In recent years, like the last 10 or so, we have walked/hiked between 5 and 10 miles a day. Partly for our fitness and also really for the dogs. Our current dogs have always gotten that treatment since they were pups (Mary has solo'ed it with them since my hip went pear shaped), they go ape if they get more than a one day off. We can't leave them alone in the house when they are like that. They are like, "it's payback time!"
My dogs get cranky if they don't get their walks.?

SigOris

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Lariat Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired
I used our local YMCA for years and it fit my needs perfectly. It had the Jacobs Ladder (IMO, the greatest single piece of fitness equipment ever invented), battle ropes, Bulgarian Bags, treadmill and of course the Free weights. Everything I needed in one place with plenty of room for the Ropes, etc.

When Covid hit, my YMCA routine went out the window. Shortly thereafter my hip started hurting so it didn't matter.

I personally do think Covid is very likely with us for the duration, so I need to focus on a home workout from now on.

We have a large storage room that I was using a little bit as my "Covid free, delusionary PT will fix my hip right up area."

Currently in the storage area I have a really old stationary bike, a weight bench, some dumbbells and a lot of elastic loops and bands (kind of isometric stuff). I will never have the room for the Battle Ropes, unless I am willing to back the vehicles out of the garage each time I want to use it (probably not happening), so those are bye, bye for me now. No way to get the Jacobs Ladder up into the storage room, even if I could find a good used one to buy (new is crazy expensive).

Any ideas on what you use for your home gym would be appreciated. It won't be long before I need to get back at it.
You really don’t need to invest a lot other than a quality cardio machine when you can’t outside. I had a Nordic Track in the past and liked it. I now have a gym quality elliptical I was able to get when my wife’s property she managed bought new equipment and I got in on the buy. I’ll wager FB marketplace and Craig’s List has stuff for since people are going back to gyms.

Midnightmoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Crew 4x4 XLT
Full discosure before I say anything else. I am curretnly the board vice president (former past president) of a large reginal YMCA. Avid fitness nut and have been lifting and training for well over 30 years.

With all of that said, when covid hit and the state shut our facilities down, I went out an purchased a spin bike and an of all things, one of those "Total Gyms" that Chuck Norris and Christy Brinkley advertise on TV. I have used that Total Gym daily ever since and would recommend one to anyone, even at an advanced fittness level. Even now that our facilities are open, I do 90%+ of my strenght training on that Total Gym. Excellent, simple, and very well designed.

OP
OP
deleriumtremor

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
You really don’t need to invest a lot other than a quality cardio machine when you can’t outside. I had a Nordic Track in the past and liked it. I now have a gym quality elliptical I was able to get when my wife’s property she managed bought new equipment and I got in on the buy. I’ll wager FB marketplace and Craig’s List has stuff for since people are going back to gyms.
Truth be told, I do have enough space in the garage for even my favorite cardio machine (the Jacobs Ladder), but it means moving things around and reallocating some stuff to the storage shed that I have dreams of one day weaning myself off of.

I think with what looks like a looming recession, one that might actually turn out to be a dilly, maybe I will get a chance to buy one use. I think if I found one on sale and the price was right, I would compromise and pull the trigger,

I do have to start watching Craigslist. I don't, never have and never will be a FB member, I wonder if I can shop the marketplace without membership, my bad boy side coming out... :)

OP
OP
deleriumtremor

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
Full discosure before I say anything else. I am curretnly the board vice president (former past president) of a large reginal YMCA. Avid fitness nut and have been lifting and training for well over 30 years.

With all of that said, when covid hit and the state shut our facilities down, I went out an purchased a spin bike and an of all things, one of those "Total Gyms" that Chuck Norris and Christy Brinkley advertise on TV. I have used that Total Gym daily ever since and would recommend one to anyone, even at an advanced fittness level. Even now that our facilities are open, I do 90%+ of my strenght training on that Total Gym. Excellent, simple, and very well designed.
I love our local YMCA. It is an old building that is a labyrinth of halls and rooms. Way back when we moved into the area, when I joined, it took me maybe 3 visits before I was sure I wasn’t going to get lost moving from one activity to another.

We have a very modern, pretty much state of the art facility out in Eagle. It isn’t a bad drive at all for an old retired guy, and yet, the old downtown Y was my preference. Maybe because it just feels like the Y’s I was used to from my past.

I will always keep my membership, but think I am probably never going back, at least and unless, the virus that causes COVID mutates itself away like the original SARS virus did.

Bummer really.

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
I have an enclosed squat rack with safety bars. No spotter needed for squats and bench presses and I put an extra bar across the top for pull-ups and chin ups. Also a bunch of free weights and a dip bar. Simple and effective.

I had more in NJ (cable stuff) and I was able to get a lot of equipment used that ended up being people's clothes racks. So there are some good deals out there used. I've got a single door garage but wide as a two-doors so it's got room for both the truck and weights and workbench. I didn't think I could have room without backing the truck out but a bit of organization made it happen because it's really not good to start and stop the truck everyday like that.

Also I swear by Sole treadmills as they are tough enough for HIIT and go up to 12mph/15% incline now. I bought two over my lifetime, the original still works I just gave it to my Dad. I think it's over 10 years old now? Many of the used treadmills, in-store ones and amazon ones aren't actually designed for running because the band is so small. The Soles are and they start at $1k. Though pounding your knees on a treadmill isn't the best thing if you are older or heavier. I am getting away from it, instead doing just hiking outside or walking with the incline up and a backpack full of bricks. It still gets the heart rate up eventually and is much easier on the knees. HIIT is pretty hard on them.

Midnightmoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Crew 4x4 XLT
I love our local YMCA. It is an old building that is a labyrinth of halls and rooms. Way back when we moved into the area, when I joined, it took me maybe 3 visits before I was sure I wasn’t going to get lost moving from one activity to another.

We have a very modern, pretty much state of the art facility out in Eagle. It isn’t a bad drive at all for an old retired guy, and yet, the old downtown Y was my preference. Maybe because it just feels like the Y’s I was used to from my past.

I will always keep my membership, but think I am probably never going back, at least and unless, the virus that causes COVID mutates itself away like the original SARS virus did.

Bummer really.

A lot of people feel the way you do. We are back to approx 70% of the usage rate that we were before COVID. From what we have been able to tell from other Y's, we are actually doing better than most.

What we have done is try and rapidly add as many outdoor activities and programs as possible. For example, we always had a very strong indoor Pickleball program. Just this summer, we are building 3 outdoor courts that should be completed by the end of the month (weather permitting). We also have a nearly 1/2 mile outdoor walking track, hold classes/activities in our outdoor pavillion, etc. We are even offering online classes, health coaching, etc.

One more suggestion for those purchasing home equipment, there are many companies that offer online content (Peloton is probably the most well known) as a subscription. Your local Y or community fittness facility may offer the same or similar onlilne content at a fraction of the cost and without long term committments. Not all are the same, but ours for example offers a Y-Ride or Y-Row program at no cost to our members, including online content. Definitly someting to research before contracting with a service.

OP
OP
deleriumtremor

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
I have an enclosed squat rack with safety bars. No spotter needed for squats and bench presses and I put an extra bar across the top for pull-ups and chin ups. Also a bunch of free weights and a dip bar. Simple and effective.

I had more in NJ (cable stuff) and I was able to get a lot of equipment used that ended up being people's clothes racks. So there are some good deals out there used. I've got a single door garage but wide as a two-doors so it's got room for both the truck and weights and workbench. I didn't think I could have room without backing the truck out but a bit of organization made it happen because it's really not good to start and stop the truck everyday like that.

Also I swear by Sole treadmills as they are tough enough for HIIT and go up to 12mph/15% incline now. I bought two over my lifetime, the original still works I just gave it to my Dad. I think it's over 10 years old now? Many of the used treadmills, in-store ones and amazon ones aren't actually designed for running because the band is so small. The Soles are and they start at $1k. Though pounding your knees on a treadmill isn't the best thing if you are older or heavier. I am getting away from it, instead doing just hiking outside or walking with the incline up and a backpack full of bricks. It still gets the heart rate up eventually and is much easier on the knees. HIIT is pretty hard on them.
I have an old Trotter (actually is a Cybex, the first one they brought out after acquiring the Trotter brand). It is fairly new by Trotter standards miles wise (I did buy a new belt for it just before I decommissioned it). and is commercial grade, with power incline and decline, etc.

It is in storage as it really didn’t do me much good as my joints can’t take the pounding running hands out. That is why I fell in love with the Jacobs ladder. I can really stress the aerobic side and also give my lower body a strength stress workout. When I was really hitting it, climbing a couple thousand feet on that ladder was serious aerobic stress. The good news is it really didn’t impact my joints at all.

Maybe I will move that treadmill over from storage and give it a try in steep incline mode and walking fast. I am not sure how high it will go, but for sure at least like 12 degrees. It also has programs (or will memorize one you do as you go), to simulate a rugged terrain run.

It will fit in the storage room, although I will need 4 very young, very strong men to get that thing up a flight of starts, it is extremely heavy.

Thanks for jogging my memory, that may just fit the bill. Worth a try versus laying out thousands for a used Jacobs Ladder, if I ever did find one. :)

PS - Just went and checked, the one I have has an analog in their current commercial line called the 600T. It does do up to 15 degrees incline, so I will definitely give it a shot. Thanks.

Last edited:

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
jogging my memory :)
Nice one lol

As far as moving the treadmill, when I moved my older one into my Dad's basement I just took the whole thing apart. Did the same when I put it in my basement in my old house prior. No way was it going down there complete.

Motor was heavy but small, bottom frame and twin rollers as well, so everything was manageable by me alone. I took pics of the number of threads on adjustment screws to reassemble and I carried it down easily piece by piece.

OP
OP
deleriumtremor

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
Nice one lol

As far as moving the treadmill, when I moved my older one into my Dad's basement I just took the whole thing apart. Did the same when I put it in my basement in my old house prior. No way was it going down there complete.

Motor was heavy but small, bottom frame and twin rollers as well, so everything was manageable by me alone. I took pics of the number of threads on adjustment screws to reassemble and I carried it down easily piece by piece.
Yeah, I thought of that pun after I was slowly heading down for a bite to eat. What is they say about the pun, the lowest form of humor?

I will take a look at pulling it apart. I do have the upper part off the bed frame as it was a simple four bolts and a plug. I have had the motor cover off as I had to replace the main board once a long time ago. As I recall, that motor is a big old tubular shaped monster. Probably moveable by me But I bet it weighs like 100lbs.

Anyway, another good suggestion to give me something to do as I am waiting to be able to fire it up and get on.

Worst case, there are some high school kids up the road who are pretty buffed (HS Football players), I can probably talk them into moving it for me worst case.
thanks bud.
Sponsored