Heat crack on windshield!

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
I parked my truck outside to wash it and by the time I was done I had a crack on the windshield! What are my chances of getting this fixed under warranty? The truck is always garaged and if it isn't I always open a window in this heat. I guess my windshield can't handle having the windows up for ~45 minutes to get a wash. It was only like 92 this morning too, not 100 like earlier in the week.

View attachment 143689
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I think the windshield is only covered for the first year. There could've been a small chip which you didn't see and the heat made it pop. Heck my garage is well over 100 this time of year and I've never had any issues.

OP
OP
MountainGoat

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think the windshield is only covered for the first year. There could've been a small chip which you didn't see and the heat made it pop. Heck my garage is over 100 this time of year and I've never had any issues.
Stress cracks iirc always start from the top or side like that. If it was in the middle maybe. It literally appeared in a second as I was washing, walking around the truck at the time.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Stress cracks iirc always start from the top or side like that. If it was in the middle maybe. It literally appeared in a second as I was washing, walking around the truck at the time.
They do but I was thinking more of a small stone chip that you didn't see and it popped from the heat. I had this happen back east and it was only upper 80's outside.

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
Interesting. My windshield has a very subtle crease in it on the top edge in almost the exact same spot as where your crack exits the top (only its on the drivers side). You can't see it at all unless the windshield is spotless and the light is just right, but a definite stress riser is there.

Having said that, I suspect you don't have a great chance of getting it fixed under warranty, regardless of the source of the crack.

Squatchranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger lariat
Vehicle Showcase
most states cover at least partially windshield replacements, florida for example is zero deductible if they don't cover it or give you problems go through insurance

OP
OP
MountainGoat

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Interesting. My windshield has a very subtle crease in it on the top edge in almost the exact same spot as where your crack exits the top (only its on the drivers side). You can't see it at all unless the windshield is spotless and the light is just right, but a definite stress riser is there.

Having said that, I suspect you don't have a great chance of getting it fixed under warranty, regardless of the source of the crack.
The only reason I figured I could is ever other car and truck I see is sitting out in the heat with the windows up all the time. I took care not to do that and it busted anyway. Sucks!

OP
OP
MountainGoat

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
dont most insurance plans have windshield coverage regardless of how it cracked?
being its considered a safety item
My comp is $1000, that's how I got my insurance down. At this point I'm going to get a price and maybe leave it, see if it doesn't get bigger. At least until the next hail storm...

most states cover at least partially windshield replacements, florida for example is zero deductible if they don't cover it or give you problems go through insurance
Doesn't seem like the case here. Is the windshield extra expensive due to the lane-keeping sensors, etc?

Last edited:

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
My comp is $1000, that's how I got my insurance down. At this point I'm going to get a price and maybe leave it, see if it doesn't get bigger. At least until the next hail storm...
Here mine is zero deductible . I would check with your insurance company because sometimes they have different deductibles for the glass and comp. I just had a chip repaired before going on vacation and IIRC he told me the windshield was around $1,000 because mine has the camera that needs recalibrating. Hopefully you can get it taken care of. Good luck!

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor
Well my insurance redirects to Safelite which has always been a ripoff. There is an old Dodge in a field nearby and the windshield looks pretty close in size so gonna try that.

View attachment 143690
I always use Safelite for windshield repairs. Excellent service always.
I have the glass coverage rider on my insurance and Safelite works with the insurance company to get my windshields repaired/replaced for "free" (keep in mind I do include the glass rider in my policy).

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat,MB GLK250,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
Looks like a chip at the right top? Could just be the picture.
Sponsored