Having an issue, maybe?

livetoski78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT, 2020 Explorer ST
Occupation
Software Engineer, EMT, Amateur Rocket Scientist
So…I’m looking for some insight into this. I feel like I have what amounts to some driveline “slop”. I’m not sure if this is normal on these trucks, or this is a start to bigger problems. I had a 2006 Dakota that ended up having to have the drive shaft and rear end replaced after similar symptoms. When I take off from a start and brake to a stop, there is a noticable delay->clunk as the truck settles in to either accelerating or coming to rest. I’m not sure if this is just extreme softness in the beginning travel of the shocks, or if something is loose in the drivetrain, like a U-joint or engine mount. Perhaps it’s an issue with the FX4 off road package? There’s only 7800 miles on the truck, so it shouldn’t be wear. I’m taking it in for the first oil change soon and to have the recall addressed and I want to have a brain cell for what I’m telling them to check out.
Sponsored

Muscleford

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat, 84 & 85 5.0 Merc Capri,14 Fusion
Occupation
Retired
Sounds like perhaps a bad u-joint.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
So…I’m looking for some insight into this. I feel like I have what amounts to some driveline “slop”. I’m not sure if this is normal on these trucks, or this is a start to bigger problems. I had a 2006 Dakota that ended up having to have the drive shaft and rear end replaced after similar symptoms. When I take off from a start and brake to a stop, there is a noticable delay->clunk as the truck settles in to either accelerating or coming to rest. I’m not sure if this is just extreme softness in the beginning travel of the shocks, or if something is loose in the drivetrain, like a U-joint or engine mount. Perhaps it’s an issue with the FX4 off road package? There’s only 7800 miles on the truck, so it shouldn’t be wear. I’m taking it in for the first oil change soon and to have the recall addressed and I want to have a brain cell for what I’m telling them to check out.
Take a look through this thread here.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/how-to-lubricate-your-driveshaft-slip-joint.16648/

OP
OP

livetoski78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT, 2020 Explorer ST
Occupation
Software Engineer, EMT, Amateur Rocket Scientist
Thanks! Good to know. I’ve had more than a few 4/AWD vehicles and this definitely doesn’t feel normal, especially given my experience with the Dakota (was a piece of crap by the way!)

Progeny2021

Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Super Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired
Number one, the stock shocks are crap, unless Ford is now installing something better than what my 2019 came with. Definitely get it checked out ASAP as you don't want the driveline to let go at the worst time.