Having trouble getting my ball joints to break free

Ds_2020Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL FX4
Ive bought 3 ball joint separators(not forks) and none are large enough to clear the ball joint studs. Any tips on getting these to break free? Im kinda stuck in the middle of trying to do my suspension because I cant get these to break free. Thanks
Sponsored

OP
OP

Ds_2020Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL FX4
Went and purchased a couple gear pullers, those didnt work. Bought a 2lb hammer as I feel im at the last resort and it seems to work for people on you tube, but not working for me. Seriously at a loss here.

Mellow

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Sport Lariat 2WD Plat. White
My driver side popped off without much effort but the pass side was tough, had to bang on it pretty good with a dead blow hammer before it would come loose.

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
Went and purchased a couple gear pullers, those didnt work. Bought a 2lb hammer as I feel im at the last resort and it seems to work for people on you tube, but not working for me. Seriously at a loss here.
I used a gear puller for the tie rod end and ball joint. Hammer by itself didn't work.
That said, I had the whole knuckle off and still couldn't push the lower control arm down far enough to get the strut out. In real life it doesn't work like the YouTube videos. Saving up my money to pay a shop to do it.

NotBudule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
Hit it harder !!! , and cuss at it , spray it , beat on it, when you are hitting it , you may have to brace it somewhat, if the suspension is absorbing all the blows ... profanity usually gives me the victory in the end , that plus throwing the old one up against something...

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
It sounds like you’ve tried just about everything shy of an air chisel with a fork. Of course, a shop would have that at their disposal and it would be off in no time.

Situations like this sure make me appreciate the aluminum knuckles on my 2019. I hope you get over this hurdle and get your suspension finished.

NotBudule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
if you didn't break the pullers, you can put them back on and torque them down and then tap on it , tighten , then tap ... heat ,if you got a heat gun , or use this as an excuse to get some air in your garage ...

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
5lb hammer and some sharp blows has always worked. Use some thread penetration juice first and add it a few times before you walk it. It will pop off

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
I generally use some heat along with the blows of the hammer.

Steel expands more slowly than cast iron or aluminum.

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
5lb hammer and some sharp blows has always worked. Use some thread penetration juice first and add it a few times before you walk it. It will pop off
When I leveled my Tremor a couple of hard smacks with a 5 lb hammer worked like a charm to separate the ball joints. I used a tie rod puller on the tie rod ends.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase