Gears disappear

jpboats

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat , Blue
why do the gear numbers disappear in sport mode?
Sponsored

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
They reappear only when you're in "Manual" mode. I don't know why specifically they are gone in sport mode, but if you tap the + or - the gear indicator will reappear. It will then require you to manually shift until you exit S mode, or hold the + for a few seconds.

Hope that helped at least a little.

CoastieN70

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariet
Occupation
Retired
They reappear only when you're in "Manual" mode. I don't know why specifically they are gone in sport mode, but if you tap the + or - the gear indicator will reappear. It will then require you to manually shift until you exit S mode, or hold the + for a few seconds.

Hope that helped at least a little.
I believe he meant the vertical display on the right screen 1 bottom, 10 top that pops up when you press the manual shift button (+/-) while in the "D" mode.
In the Sport mode (S) the gear currently displays in red on the left screen and the rt screen numbers display is no longer active.

Also, if you have the gear pattern in the rt screen and push the +/- button on the shifter, the display will disappear.

chasvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
I believe he meant the vertical display on the right screen 1 bottom, 10 top that pops up when you press the manual shift button (+/-) while in the "D" mode.
In the Sport mode (S) the gear currently displays in red on the left screen and the rt screen numbers display is no longer active.

Also, if you have the gear pattern in the rt screen and push the +/- button on the shifter, the display will disappear.
The purpose of the Gear Display in D is so you can restrict how high it can shift. Press + or - to display the gear list and then press - and the highest gear will be reduced by 1 each time you press - . You can increase the highest gear as needed back to 10.

CoastieN70

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariet
Occupation
Retired
The purpose of the Gear Display in D is so you can restrict how high it can shift. Press + or - to display the gear list and then press - and the highest gear will be reduced by 1 each time you press - . You can increase the highest gear as needed back to 10.
Wow! I did not know this, I must "play" tomorrow... :)

Deleted member 1634

Has anyone figured out why the gear indication column goes away sometimes, but stays other times? I don't need to press the + every time I go into drive for it to show up, including after shut down and restart. Sometimes it "remembers" my past "setting" and just shows it to me automatically next time I drive away. Other times it resets back to hiding the gear indications and I need to hit the + again to show me. And to make it even more confusing it seems like it only hides it the times when I'm watching for it to come up. haha

Ranger8729

First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Ranger & 2019 Ranger
Has anyone figured out why the gear indication column goes away sometimes, but stays other times? I don't need to press the + every time I go into drive for it to show up, including after shut down and restart. Sometimes it "remembers" my past "setting" and just shows it to me automatically next time I drive away. Other times it resets back to hiding the gear indications and I need to hit the + again to show me. And to make it even more confusing it seems like it only hides it the times when I'm watching for it to come up. haha
I have found if my stop is less that 10 mins, it will "remember" that i want the gear indicator active when I restart. After that it defaults back to being off.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Mine always seems to disappear no matter how long/short it is when I turn it off. I'm so use to hitting the + now it's just part of my routine, hit the +.turn off traction control, turn on radio and press mirror button. lol

Deleted member 1634

I have found if my stop is less that 10 mins, it will "remember" that i want the gear indicator active when I restart. After that it defaults back to being off.
Mine always seems to disappear no matter how long/short it is when I turn it off. I'm so use to hitting the + now it's just part of my routine, hit the +.turn off traction control, turn on radio and press mirror button. lol
Interesting. I'm pretty sure mine will automatically come back after stops longer than 10mins. Sometimes days later it seems, but certainly after hours of sitting.

So no real consensus on this yet then it seems. haha

mgallo13

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 MM Focus ST (sold), 2020 MM Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Financial Controller
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 2016 F150 XL 2.7TT super crew for work with the old 6spd, and the gear indicator (1-2-3-4-5-6) displays the same way- press plus or minus on the column shifter and it shows up. However, on my 2020 ranger they disappear after putting it in park. Pretty annoying, but certainly not the end of the world. Just wish there was a way to get it to stay.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
On my Lariat they show up in the tach display as numbers when I am in S. It's disorienting.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
On my Lariat they show up in the tach display as numbers when I am in S. It's disorienting.
Yes if you're in S and hit the + button the gears and tach will show up in the left cluster. But if you put it in S and don't hit the + they won't show up. In D the show up on the right cluster if you press the + but mine disappears every time I exit the truck and get back in. Damn this is confusing. lol

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
Yes if you're in S and hit the + button the gears and tach will show up in the left cluster. But if you put it in S and don't hit the + they won't show up. In D the show up on the right cluster if you press the + but mine disappears every time I exit the truck and get back in. Damn this is confusing. lol
I would totally want Ford/FORSCAN to make the right hand side display of the gears always display.

I could even see some curve the indicator and subtle animation a bonus.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I would totally want Ford/FORSCAN to make the right hand side display of the gears always display.

I could even see some curve the indicator and subtle animation a bonus.
I really don't understand why they didn't have them permanently on the gauge cluster? :crazy: At least have the option to turn them on/off in the setting like some of the other features.

Last edited:

Mobius97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat Fx4-Lotus Evora-Lotus Elise-BMW X7 M
I turned these on for the first time last week for fun. to see what the trans was doing. I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to turn them off during my 3hr trip. Now ever since doing that.....the gear numbers (in right screen) come and go randomly. I can drive for 15 mintue to the store...nothing. Next day same trip they are there. Go figure.
Sponsored