kayla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford ranger
Occupation
teacher
I have a 2020 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4.
I live at elevation and when I go uphill on the paved road and get to my location I have been noticing a smell coming from the vehicle. I have looked underneath and not noticed any dripping oil or fluids.
Anyone have any experience with this?
Sponsored

OP
OP

kaylawiz

First Name
kayla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford ranger
Occupation
teacher
Good point. Hope there's no sweaty crack under my rig!
Smells like fluid such as oil or something coming from the engine. I cannot locate the source directly-under the vehicle or under the hood. I have been trying to do so every time I get to the top of the hill. I have had 2 oil changes so far and no leftover residue on the pan or bolts.

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
How many miles currently? If you're only at a couple hundred yet, it might be the "new equipment smell" still burning off.

OP
OP

kaylawiz

First Name
kayla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford ranger
Occupation
teacher
How many miles currently? If you're only at a couple hundred yet, it might be the "new equipment smell" still burning off.
I have 12,000 miles so I think the new smell is gone now.
Seems to only do it on uphills when going over a pass.
Have not smelled it when running around town. It it not coming from the a/c or heater it is coming from outside the vehicle. I will go up one of the passes today and try to pinpoint it better.
Thank you for all the help!

sreiser3

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
One more on smells with ac https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/ac-odor-issue.3944/
I've noticed similar. I've got 14k on mine (bought it at 10k). Just went on a road trip to Shenandoah and NC. A lot of hills. I thought it was coming from someone elses brakes or something. But I smelled it off an on throughout the trip. I have a shit sense of smell, so trying to pinpoint when its actually happening is going to be a struggle.

wmadoty

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Technology Manager
One more on smells with ac https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/ac-odor-issue.3944/
I've noticed similar. I've got 14k on mine (bought it at 10k). Just went on a road trip to Shenandoah and NC. A lot of hills. I thought it was coming from someone elses brakes or something. But I smelled it off an on throughout the trip. I have a shit sense of smell, so trying to pinpoint when its actually happening is going to
I wonder if this could be residual oil from a change running onto a hot part when climbing or descending a grade?

Toytec

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT 302a S/cab 4X4 w/diff lock MG
Occupation
Automotive technician, Retired.
Vehicle Showcase
I think I get what you're getting at and I get it too. Enough gets. What it reminds me of is a leaky valve cover dripping on to a hot exhaust manifold, and it enters the intake vents.
Of course it isn't, and this is only occasionally while my Spidey sensors are tingling, but I just chalk it up for being my first direct injection motor with turbo. Just nature of the beast.

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
Could it be that every now, and then you're getting a whiff of hot catalytic converter out of the exhaust? That's all I got since others have mentioned everything else I can think of in my old worn out mind. I have nothing to compare it with as my special order Ranger hasn't been built yet.

NVHoonigan

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
I have 12,000 miles so I think the new smell is gone now.
Seems to only do it on uphills when going over a pass.
Have not smelled it when running around town. It it not coming from the a/c or heater it is coming from outside the vehicle. I will go up one of the passes today and try to pinpoint it better.
Thank you for all the help!
I live a few feet below you in Carson City and frequently visit Tahoe. Have never had a smell going over any of the passes or up to the lake and back.

OP
OP

kaylawiz

First Name
kayla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford ranger
Occupation
teacher
I live a few feet below you in Carson City and frequently visit Tahoe. Have never had a smell going over any of the passes or up to the lake and back.

Howdy Neighbor!
I have noticed it when I am going up over Spooner Pass and Mt Rose. Only driving uphill for less than 10 min. I cannot smell it aside the vehicle. I only notice when I stop and get out. Smells like something burning but again no drips on the bottom of the components underneath. I cannot pinpoint a location either.
I am baffled.

OP
OP

kaylawiz

First Name
kayla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford ranger
Occupation
teacher
I've noticed similar. I've got 14k on mine (bought it at 10k). Just went on a road trip to Shenandoah and NC. A lot of hills. I thought it was coming from someone elses brakes or something. But I smelled it off an on throughout the trip. I have a shit sense of smell, so trying to pinpoint when its actually happening is going to be a struggle.
I have not noticed it smelling in the vehicle when driving, only when I stop and get out at the top of a pass. If I drive up over the pass and do not get out I do not notice it. Seems to only smell when exiting the vehicle.
Sponsored