Front Camera Fault Service Required Warning Light

Voodoo Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4
I received this fault yesterday when starting my car in the morning. It was fine three days before when I last drove it. There are a couple of other threads on this but related to windshield replacement and alignment. I have a 2020 Ranger Fx4 Lariat with all options that has now 23,000 miles on it. I've cleaned the windshield and front sensors (they weren't dirty) and disconnected the battery for over 10 minutes and the warning light is still there. Anyone have any experience on this or know if there's a TSB on this? I'll make an appointment at my local dealer but I'm going to be happy if they tell me I have to pay for this repair. Any insight is appreciated.

tempImageIQCwvX.png
tempImageM8AgMo.png
Sponsored

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
Hook up Scanner and retrieve the codes, to pinpoint it down.
Multiple Modules communicate to it, and if it loses any input it defaults to failure mode.
Most likely a COM error.
Try a IPMA self-test with a scanner and see if it will reset.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
This might sound odd but check under the hood.

WHAAAAT?

The wire harness for the camera is up near the brake fluid reservoir. I had similar codes and opened the hood to find that some critter had feasted on the wire harness.

IMG_3534.jpeg

I hates meeses to pieces!

OP
OP
Voodoo Ranger

Voodoo Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4
Thanks for the responses. I checked my wiring by the brake reservoir and it looks fine. I noticed I have the same dead wire plug as Duke. I’ll do a scan at my local parts store and see what it shows.

I also found the article below and it talks about a module and sensor behind the front bumper. I didn’t know we had a sensor there, see the photo in the article, but I’ll go look as soon as it stops raining here. In the winter I mainly use my truck for skiing so there could be some salt/sand under there. I’ll report back.

https://www.motor.com/2021/08/ford-collision-avoidance-systems-part-1/

OP
OP
Voodoo Ranger

Voodoo Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4
Update: I took my Ranger to my local dealer and the module was faulty and needed to be replaced. The price for the repair was just over $1,000 with tax. When I dropped off my truck I talked to the service writer stating that even thought I was just out of the three year bumper to bumper warranty I felt it was a piece of safety equipment and Ford should cover it. So when he called me with the price of the repair he had for me the Ford customer assistance number and gave me a suggestion on how to proceed.

I called and the guy on the phone opened a case and said he thought Ford could provide "some" financial assistance on my part. I shared with with him that I had purchased 4 new Fords over the last decade and that I felt this was a safety concern and that Ford should cover all of it. He said he'd get back to me but never did.

The service writer finally got the approval for 100% of the repair several days later. So nine days later I have by truck back and it's working fine with no out of pocket. Here are the part number and the phone number to call:

Image Processing Module - KB3Z*19H406*CE Module

Ford Assistance - 800-392-3673

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase