Fresh Prinsu Rack Couple Issues

Stevescootz

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Hey guys! Just got the prinsu rack installed, and I’m stoked on how it looks!
but I was shocked by how loud the wind is @ highway speeds.
All the reviews I read online mentioned they barely noticed it….
So.. I’m curious to hear other peoples reviews of it.
Was I being unrealistic of how quiet it would be?
Or Possibly installed incorrectly?
With the way it’s installed on a ranger the front to back adjustment is non existent, but it Seems like I could lower the wind fairing a little to make a better seam between cab and the rack as well.
Another thing that I didn’t realize til
I got home is the shop didn’t replace the gutter moulding, did you guys just chop it up and 3m it down? It looks horrible without it!
any tips are greatly appreciated!

7A68DDB5-7006-4629-9F57-924B981A8DCD.jpeg

6B6106D3-A093-4669-BF20-2D8E80682CA3.jpeg

C70536DF-789B-4DB4-AFAB-B5F2B484B08E.jpeg
Sponsored

irv0735

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ranger Lariat Tremor
Yes, cut the original molding and tape or glue back in place. One section they could have used a factory bolt to help hold back down.
For wind noise, you are missing the leading edge trim. It goes on the lower edge of the wind deflector and makes a big difference.

OP
OP
Stevescootz

Stevescootz

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Yes, cut the original molding and tape or glue back in place. One section they could have used a factory bolt to help hold back down.
For wind noise, you are missing the leading edge trim. It goes on the lower edge of the wind deflector and makes a big difference.
That’s great news. I spoke to the shop and they are going to fix both of those things for me ASAP

Danager

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Edge
Occupation
Manager
Get the noise trim. I did not have it for the last 6 months and the noise was terrible at highway speeds. I was expecting typical wind noise, but not the howling I got. Ordered the trim a few weeks ago and it came in last week. It makes a huge difference. Still some wind noise, but that is reduced and the frequency/pitch is more bearable.

As for the gutter trim, it isn’t necessary but looks way better when it is in place. I measured and carefully cut mine so I could reuse the entire length. I would strongly recommend that if at all possible.
245111E9-EE43-4DA0-9DD9-25624E33E795.jpeg
AEE714E7-53EF-424E-A330-6373A75F74B8.jpeg
1CC1B8C8-7D88-41A6-96EF-CB2F6279CB78.jpeg

OP
OP
Stevescootz

Stevescootz

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Get the noise trim. I did not have it for the last 6 months and the noise was terrible at highway speeds. I was expecting typical wind noise, but not the howling I got. Ordered the trim a few weeks ago and it came in last week. It makes a huge difference. Still some wind noise, but that is reduced and the frequency/pitch is more bearable.

As for the gutter trim, it isn’t necessary but looks way better when it is in place. I measured and carefully cut mine so I could reuse the entire length. I would strongly recommend that if at all possible.
245111E9-EE43-4DA0-9DD9-25624E33E795.jpeg
AEE714E7-53EF-424E-A330-6373A75F74B8.jpeg
1CC1B8C8-7D88-41A6-96EF-CB2F6279CB78.jpeg
nice man that looks awesome. I’m glad to hear the trim will help, I got on the highway and was like…… wtf is that. Almost like it was howling/whistling lol

Otirado

First Name
Octavio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Occupation
Locksmith
Hey Guys,

Not happy with mine as well, crazy wind noise at highway speed, maybe making a better wind deflector?

IMG_7333 copy.jpg

OP
OP
Stevescootz

Stevescootz

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Hey Guys,

Not happy with mine as well, crazy wind noise at highway speed, maybe making a better wind deflector?

IMG_7333 copy.jpg
I’ve read that moving the light bar back and the first cross bar back helps as well.
also lowering the deflector if you can

Danager

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Edge
Occupation
Manager
Hey Guys,

IMG_7333 copy.jpg
Looks like you have the trim on already? The more likely culprit is the light bar. I’m not much help there.

Before a road trip at Christmas, I ran painters tape from the 1/2 way point on the Prinsu deflector down to about 2” from the top of the windshield. Worked so well that I wrapped that with black Gorilla tape and left it on there through the end of February. I considered making my own deflector out of black lexan, similar to the Yakima/Thule offering for their racks/baskets. Maybe something you want to consider.

Sharp truck!

Otirado

First Name
Octavio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Occupation
Locksmith
Yea, I was thinking the same, thanks greatly appreciated. I will try and post findings.

lazynorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger Crew Cab XLT FX4
Occupation
Public Health
In Subaru land, its well know roof baskets - including Prinsu - are way noisier than aerodynamic cross bars or bare roof. You'd think for the price and complexity of install they'd be quieter but that's apparently not the case. The Instagram crowd does not mention this when showing their ornaments.

OP
OP
Stevescootz

Stevescootz

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Following up. Got the noise reducing trim, makes a world of difference with the shuttle/howl. I think it still may be possible to lower it closer to the cab, but we will see. I’m sure once things are mounted it’ll be the least of my worries. Lol

4B3B889A-BE29-410F-B873-711A75AC9229.jpeg
120AE274-8A9D-4C9C-B1B7-CA30605301C0.jpeg

Tremors

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Xlt FX-4
Following up. Got the noise reducing trim, makes a world of difference with the shuttle/howl. I think it still may be possible to lower it closer to the cab, but we will see. I’m sure once things are mounted it’ll be the least of my worries. Lol

4B3B889A-BE29-410F-B873-711A75AC9229.jpeg
120AE274-8A9D-4C9C-B1B7-CA30605301C0.jpeg
Couple of questions, did the noise reducing trim come with your prinsu rack or did you have to Jerry rig something to help with noise? And how high up does the rack sit above your antenna? From the pictures in this thread it looks like the rack sits a little below the antenna.

OP
OP
Stevescootz

Stevescootz

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Couple of questions, did the noise reducing trim come with your prinsu rack or did you have to Jerry rig something to help with noise? And how high up does the rack sit above your antenna? From the pictures in this thread it looks like the rack sits a little below the antenna.
The noise reducing trim made an incredible difference, no whistling or howling anymore.
I will say there is still some noise in certain conditions... and at high speeds you will def hear it.
and yes it sits below the antenna.. by quite a bit. I now have a pelican case mounted on there and even thats still lower than the antenna.

Otirado

First Name
Octavio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Occupation
Locksmith
Hey guys! Just got the prinsu rack installed, and I’m stoked on how it looks!
but I was shocked by how loud the wind is @ highway speeds.
All the reviews I read online mentioned they barely noticed it….
So.. I’m curious to hear other peoples reviews of it.
Was I being unrealistic of how quiet it would be?
Or Possibly installed incorrectly?
With the way it’s installed on a ranger the front to back adjustment is non existent, but it Seems like I could lower the wind fairing a little to make a better seam between cab and the rack as well.
Another thing that I didn’t realize til
I got home is the shop didn’t replace the gutter moulding, did you guys just chop it up and 3m it down? It looks horrible without it!
any tips are greatly appreciated!

7A68DDB5-7006-4629-9F57-924B981A8DCD.jpeg

6B6106D3-A093-4669-BF20-2D8E80682CA3.jpeg

C70536DF-789B-4DB4-AFAB-B5F2B484B08E.jpeg
Don’t remember exact size, but I drilled 1/2 or 5/8 hole for spacer ( a little lager then spacer )did not cut as the instructions said

There are a lot of variables, speed and wind conditions
Try painters tape, hopefully you may find issues and if You have a light bar that may contribute

Hope this helps
Sponsored