Prinsu roof rack install countdown, T minus 20 hours til the chaos ensues.

OP
OP
JACKSMYDOG

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
Im still trying to figure out why they didn't follow the curve of the wind fairing with the roof line and instead cut it upward on the ends leaving a huge gap on each side.

I'm guessing the wind fairing is a universal part for all kits, which is a shame. For that kind of money I would expect all the major parts to be designed for the application.

P-racks do look good though, but I just couldn't bring myself to spend that much on so little raw materials.
I don't get the up cuts at the end of the wind fairing either. Seal off 80% and leave the ends open?

I was this close to not doing it. I had planned a box mounted rack similar to yours, but also wanted to keep the DiamondBack and have the rear panel accessible. I've looked over all your rack build threads and I was really close to fabricating an original unit like you did.

The Prinsu on the roof, and FrontRunner racks are going on the tonneau, maybe today. It won't be ~10 feet of continuous, and the Prinsu will be about 4 inches higher so canoes won't be an issue when the truck flexes.
Sponsored

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
I don't get the up cuts at the end of the wind fairing either. Seal off 80% and leave the ends open?

I was this close to not doing it. I had planned a box mounted rack similar to yours, but also wanted to keep the DiamondBack and have the rear panel accessible. I've looked over all your rack build threads and I was really close to fabricating an original unit like you did.

The Prinsu on the roof, and FrontRunner racks are going on the tonneau, maybe today.
Well RCI does offer tonneau adapter brackets. Just me personally I plan on fabricating my own completely custom in-bed storage system which may or may not have clearance issues with a tonneau. I do like the fit and finish of the P-rack a lot. V3 of my rack (which I can start if my garage builders will show up this friggin' month) is going to get a lot more refinement and attention to detail. Im still struggling with a way to get the forward part of the rack to flow with the roof line of the truck and look more natural (like the P-rack), but I think in the end to do that I am going to have to drop the height of the side panels and actually cut the ones that flow over the cab. Can't really figure out a clean clever way to make a square part fit in a curved hole so to say.

Your truck looks great btw!

OP
OP
JACKSMYDOG

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Well RCI does offer tonneau adapter brackets. Just me personally I plan on fabricating my own completely custom in-bed storage system which may or may not have clearance issues with a tonneau. I do like the fit and finish of the P-rack a lot. V3 of my rack (which I can start if my garage builders will show up this friggin' month) is going to get a lot more refinement and attention to detail. Im still struggling with a way to get the forward part of the rack to flow with the roof line of the truck and look more natural (like the P-rack), but I think in the end to do that I am going to have to drop the height of the side panels and actually cut the ones that flow over the cab. Can't really figure out a clean clever way to make a square part fit in a curved hole so to say.

Your truck looks great btw!
Thank you.

Maybe just a facade piece on the outside of the rack to match the cab shape, similar to the wind deflector idea? Aluminum sheet cut in the idea of the Prinsu rails, and T-nuts to secure them? Hidea all the exposed track over the cab, and can slide them off if you need to use those tracks.

Or even better. 2 inch angle aluminum, attached to the bottom of the rail, then angled down at the outside line, and cut the bottom edge to match the cab shape?

OP
OP
JACKSMYDOG

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Final update to the Prinsu rack.

I had a broken Aluminum plus nut rattling around in my head liner, so I took it off today, peeled the interior again, and replaced it with a brass plus nut. While it was off I lowered the front angled cross bar, to bring the gasket a little tighter to the roof. Because it's angled, it's only 1/4 inch or so lower, but definitely a little bit quieter.

I also lowered the next cross bar back, and got some of the hardware built for my antenna mount, which I am really looking forward to installing. Five foot black Firestick going on the roof rack, no more drive-throughs ha ha ha.

The last thing I did, was to cover the two factory holes used to mount the gutter trim. Most of the gutter is covered by the rack, so you can only see a few inches at the front, and back. Gloss black 3M vinyl wrap, straight over the hole just to keep the water out. I hole punched a small piece of sheet metal to fit in the hole, and attached it from the underside, with another piece of vinyl wrap on the to hold it in place. It should last many years, as it's in a spot that should ever have any contact. Worst case scenario I may have to add a new piece of vinyl every year or two if the sun does cause it to degrade and crack.

Sardog

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
USN Aircrew
Thinking about getting this rack. Approximately how long does the Install take if I am fairly mechanically inclined?

OP
OP
JACKSMYDOG

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I'd say anywhere from 3-8 hours depending on if or how many problems you have with the plus nuts, and assuming you have a second set of hands to help with loading and removal as required.

If I were to do it again, I'd either get on the phone to Prinsu and insist they provide 4 extra brass plus nuts, or order extras on Amazon. You'll want spares on hand when you get under way. They claim the brass don't fit in all 10 holes, but I made them work in the bad spots, 1 on each side.

Danager

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Edge
Occupation
Manager
I'd say anywhere from 3-8 hours depending on if or how many problems you have with the plus nuts, and assuming you have a second set of hands to help with loading and removal as required.

If I were to do it again, I'd either get on the phone to Prinsu and insist they provide 4 extra brass plus nuts, or order extras on Amazon. You'll want spares on hand when you get under way. They claim the brass don't fit in all 10 holes, but I made them work in the bad spots, 1 on each side.
^^^ This, exactly!
6 hours for my install, which included two aluminum nut issues. One replaced with a steel rivnut, and the other is a stainless nut & bolt. I plan on epoxying that in place in the spring. I do want to be able to remove the rack next winter.

Mine has all black cross bars, so that may be a new thing.

The wind noise is terrible. I actually tape up between the wind deflector all the way to the windshield before I drive on the highway. In fact, I left it in place from the last time, going on a month now. So much quieter. Don’t get me wrong, I expected noise, but this is on a who other level. I do plan a better solution for spring time as well. Going to make a cardboard template and see how clean I can get this. May just use a piece of black lexan, may get a piece of aluminum cut and finished.

Looks great, strong, and definitely would recommend. It.

Sardog

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
USN Aircrew

What size and threading are the plus nuts?