Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
So censorship/speed control is ok as long as it isnt you.
Sponsored

KJRR

First Name
KJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger, '14 Ford Edge, '74 VW Type 181
Occupation
Professional Curmudgeon
The problem is people. Quit trying to solve people problems with technology.
Fix the people and there is no problem.

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
Sorry, but that does not make sense in regard to this thread. There is already laws that regulate speed limits. Those laws are already enforced. There are 100s, maybe thousands of laws that are there for the safety of others.
I wonder how you would feel if some idiot drove too fast and killed one of your loved ones. Or if you killed someone elses loved one due to your speeding. Yeah, he could say it is for his freedom that he sped and killed your loved one....
Yeah something bad might happen I better lock myself in a padded cell. For safety!

FX4Offroad

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
This reminds me of my insurance company that gave me an option to install a device to check my driving so I could get a lower insurance rate.

I had it for about a week and I tore it off because it was telling me I was a horrible driver when the following situations were actually happening:

1. A driver cut me off so I slammed my brakes to avoid hitting him.

2. A driver changed lanes into me, so I swerved to miss him.

3. A driver behind me was on his phone (I could see him in the rearview mirror) and was about to rear end me so I floored it to get out of his way.

All these situations are dings on my driving skills and would have raised my insurance. All I was doing was driving defensively and I would have paid more insurance.

Last edited:

Bob902

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
RETIRED!!!!
This reminds me of my insurance company that gave me an option to install a device to check my driving so I could get a lower insurance rate.

I had it for about a week and I tore it off because it was telling me I was a horrible driver when the following situations were actually happening:

1. A driver cut me off so I slammed my brakes to avoid hitting him.

2. A driver changed lanes into me, so I swerved to miss him.

3. A driver behind me was on his phone (I could see him in the rearview mirror) and was about to rear end me so I floored it to get out of his way.

All these situations or dings on my driving skills and would have raised my insurance. All I was doing was driving defensively and I would have paid more insurance.
Mine wanted me to install an app on my phone. I asked them how it knows if I am driving my car or riding with someone else. They said I needed to remember to turn it off I wasn't driving. So if I forget, and I am riding with someone else, my rates could go up? Yes sir, that is a possibility.

That's a big nope for me.

navsnipe

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Ranger FX4 Lariat (totaled), 23 Audi Q5
Occupation
Automating Buildings and confusing humans
Easier said than done. If it was easy to fix people this world wouldn't be in the mess it is in.

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
That is sooooo obviously NOT what I said.
Sounds to me like you want others to regulate everything you do on the off chance something bad might happen. Everything is "unsafe" in some way until you get to a padded cell. It's an obvious slippery slope.

Jedadiah

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 XLT SuperCrew 4x2. Former '21 SuperCab Owner
Mainly, "free travel for free citizens" is a slogan used ironically to discredit people who don't want a speed limit on the Autobahn these days.
I have no doubt that this is used ironically, and maybe more so the earnestly, but I have a some acquaintances in Germany who definitely mean it. :wink:

Cmar

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger PX
The seven words you never want to hear, "We're the Government, we're here to help". It looks like now we may have to add Fords name to that. I can't imagine trying to do the speed limit anywhere on I-95. You gonna get mushed...................
"We're the Government, we're here to help" that sir is an oxymoron

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
and so it has spread quicker than i thought...
at some point i assume they will force us bottom feeding filth to only drive gm made econo boxes... government motors, government mandate, guber manufactured and others i will spare yall from. same difference as volkswagon was for germany years ago. the peoples car for us little tax paying, law following, honest job having former service members and faithful. i know i know. be offended and then face the history and get over it lol. but at least with these controlled cars and trucks they will be ev and the government can ration our use of them and the electricity as they see fit. taxing both of course. yes yes save the planet it will. :explode: no worries the elites of the party have a plan for things to work out for us. they need some of us. rulers cant be rulers if all the slaves and serfs are dead.

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
best true statement of the day award goes to my friend KJ.
1654298808509.png

all the regulation, restrictions and bans one could ever imagine will not stop bad people from being bad or bad things happening. arguing with that fact will uncover the fool inside us all lol. all of us have the ability to be good people or bad. all of us have the ability to make mistakes, problems or help or hurt others in some way.

Deleted member 1634

Wow some fully programmed people in this thread. "If it keeps us safe™ I suppose I'll give up my ability to drive myself." I guess I shouldn't be surprised anymore.

"Those Who Sacrifice Liberty For Security Deserve Neither."
-Ben Franklin
We're talking about speeding, not free speech or freedom of religion or control of your own body or some other inalienable right! I personally don't value my "right" or "liberty" to speed and drive recklessly (which you already don't have since it's already illegal to do both) over the safety of those around me. At a certain point we need to (or at least should) care less about wanting to be able to do whatever the hell we want whenever the hell we want.

I'll stand up for things that I think matter. I just don't think speeding and reckless driving are things we should be fighting to be able to freely do.

VDubdad

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Nurse
We're talking about speeding, not free speech or freedom of religion or control of your own body or some other inalienable right! I personally don't value my "right" or "liberty" to speed and drive recklessly (which you already don't have since it's already illegal to do both) over the safety of those around me. At a certain point we need to (or at least should) care less about wanting to be able to do whatever the hell we want whenever the hell we want.

I'll stand up for things that I think matter. I just don't think speeding and reckless driving are things we should be fighting to be able to freely do.
I agree here, I mean let's be honest, how fast do we really need to be going? "Emergencies", if you are in that big of an emergency you should probably be calling the police, FD, or 911 services. If you feel the need to retain the right to break the law, then buy an older vehicle. My stroked VW beetle does such and is emp resistant as well?.
With that said, I will say that part of the concern in actions such as this is the slow erosion of "minor" freedoms that eventually become a "boiled frog" syndrome. It happened to Jews by Hitler and the Nazis, don't be naive to think it can't happen to us.

For those young folks not aware. Frogs being cold blooded, if dropped into boiling water , they will jump out. If you put them in room temp water and slowly raise the temperature they will happily sit and boil to death.

KJRR

First Name
KJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger, '14 Ford Edge, '74 VW Type 181
Occupation
Professional Curmudgeon
Easier said than done. If it was easy to fix people this world wouldn't be in the mess it is in.
So we should give up and resort to constant monitoring becoming virtually caged by technology.
Sorry but no.
Making kids is easy, raising them right is difficult and too many don't have the skills or desire to do it. Put the phone down and take responsibility for your offspring, give 'em a smack when they need it. Stop giving them things they aren't ready to be responsible for and make them earn them. Stop bailing them out when they screw up and let them figure their own way out of their mess. Teach them skills to make a living and live life responsibly while they are young and not all the other nonsense. Give them options and not answers when faced with decisions. Logical reasoning and desire go a long way in life but it's a skill too few possess anymore.
Look in the mirror and ask yourself "did I do the best job of raising my kid today?". Mine are gone and out of the house doing "difficult adulting stuff" as they would say, and I still question if I could have done something better. Not to make their life easier, but to navigate the difficulties faced daily and make the best decision at that time and accept the responsibilities.
Going further, in case I haven't offended anyone yet. Get rid of all the warning labels on products. If you can't figure out you shouldn't stand on the top rung of a ladder, hopefully you learn after you fall off. Stop saving stupid. We need more Darwin award winners to thin the herd and make it stronger.
It's not the technology I fear, its people's use of it.

Edit: and I forgot to add, if we all need big brother watching all the time, you've given up faith in the human race. I'm not ready to give that up yet.
Sponsored

Last edited: