Ford wants to go head-to-head with Tesla…

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
Better be an electric one! ?
I believe that the high-end EV 150 models will have remotely controlled raising and lowering of the tailgates, just like the high-end ICE 2021 150s do. So, yeah, it will have an "electric tailgate damper."
Sponsored

CB750F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ / SCAB Ranger XLT/FX4 & various motos
Occupation
Human
What about a PHEV, seems like a great compromise?
EV's are still in their infancy, infrastructure will be built, standards will will be created.
A neighbour has a EV BMW & Hyundai, neither can have an under spray for
rustproofing, which makes me wonder about all the areas that use salt on the roads.
A PHEV Ranger with 50mile autonomy matted with the 2.3l seems ideal.
I like the idea of EVs & companies (read about one here in Montreal) ,can now
recycle 95% of these battery back to pure original material.

BCRanger

First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 2020
Occupation
Software
What about a PHEV, seems like a great compromise?
A PHEV Ranger with 50mile autonomy matted with the 2.3l seems ideal.
I like the idea of EVs & companies (read about one here in Montreal) ,can now
recycle 95% of these battery back to pure original material.
Totally agreed about PHEVs, in many ways the best of both worlds. We considered the Mitubhishi but ruled it out for off road capability and the RAV4 because it wasn't avaiable and also it's a Toyota. Buta PHEV Ranger would be perfect for us.

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2023 Escape PHEV
Totally agreed about PHEVs, in many ways the best of both worlds. We considered the Mitubhishi but ruled it out for off road capability and the RAV4 because it wasn't avaiable and also it's a Toyota. Buta PHEV Ranger would be perfect for us.
Exactly. I’m all in for a Ranger PHEV assuming I can get it with the Pro Power Onboard generator.

BCRanger

First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 2020
Occupation
Software
Exactly. I’m all in for a Ranger PHEV assuming I can get it with the Pro Power Onboard generator.
I do wonder about packaging. If they keep the blown I-4 and then add ~20kwh battery and electric motor on top of that, that's a lot of weight and bulk on a platform that already seems pretty optimized. Hope I'm wrong on that.

CB750F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ / SCAB Ranger XLT/FX4 & various motos
Occupation
Human
I do wonder about packaging. If they keep the blown I-4 and then add ~20kwh battery and electric motor on top of that, that's a lot of weight and bulk on a platform that already seems pretty optimized. Hope I'm wrong on that.
We can hope.

GitRDone

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT
Occupation
Real estate management
Where do I put my mitre saw and wheeled stand, my table saw, hammer drill case, oscillaing tool case, jig saw case, circ saws, reciprocating saws, impact driver, drill drivers, electrician’s pouch, batteries, chargers, extension cords, folding saw horse, table saw stand, tile saw, etc., etc., etc.? That doesn’t even include the building materials I need to put back there.

That ugly thing is as useless as it can get. Besides, you have to dress like this if you have one....

5A778BB1-3D4E-42DB-B0A2-26EC45D6CEC8.jpeg
Maybe just the extension cord..

TJC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 Miata, 05 Ranger 4x4, 20 Ranger 4x4, 23 CX-5
I think the thing that Tesla has done best is to give the market a BIG wake up call, similar to the wake up call provided by the cheap but reliable Japanese cars from the 80's.

Would any of the automakers be investing so much in electrification if Tesla hadn't proven that a real daily driver capable vehicle was possible?

I seriously doubt it.

Well, maybe in CA where the elected leaders like to legislate technology into existence.
Has anyone noticed the rise in gas (and artificial shortages) just as all these EVs are coming out.

Right now the US power grid is severely strained. The map below shows the power outage risk assessment for the summer of 2022. The US grid is close to collapse right now.

Last year the Texas grid came within 4 minutes 37 seconds of a total collapse. The entire state would have been dark for a minimum of 3 weeks and possibly for months.

Now imagine 100 million EVs plugged into the grid.

Just for information purposes, there are 290 Million vehicles on roads in the USA right now.

I know the government is trying to move to EVs, but at the same time they are pushing this effort they are shutting down Electric Power Stations all over the country.

To get a reasonably short time charge of 8-10 hours requires an additional 100 Amp Service in your home (This for the Ford Lightening.) That EV is going to look great sitting somewhere with no place to go.

Reality is a b@tch. You can ignore reality, but you can not ignore the ramifications of ignoring reality.
USA Power Grid Risk Assessment for 2022.jpg

Cmar

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger PX
Yes same thing happening here, Australia now has so much solar power ( largest uptake of domestic solar in the world- we have a 6Kw install ourselves that on average makes 30-40 Kwh per day) that coal / gas stations, even relatively new ones are being written down.

This is because the wholesale price of solar power is less than the cost of generating fossil power. ie cost more to run than you get out of them.

South Australia actually virtually runs on solar completely during the day and even exports cheap power to the east coast grid.

This is fine, except no one is building any new thermal stations and the sun doesn't shine at night, and recent world events in Europe means everyone wants to buy our gas and coal further pushing up the price of thermal electricity.

Although there are now some large scale wind farms, batteries, and pumped hydro going in, it still leaves the country at risk at night (right when returning commuters are going to plug in their cars) and during unusual extended rainy periods - like we had for most of this year over virtually the whole of the east coast.
Sponsored