Ford Tie Down Hook -Talk about price gouging....

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
the tie downs that ford removed from the 21 and newer trucks without telling customers and yet still advertised as having 6 but only having 4 or 2...
Sponsored

Bashell

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Software Engineer

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
the tie downs that ford removed from the 21 and newer trucks without telling customers and yet still advertised as having 6 but only having 4 or 2...
Some 2020s, too. Mine is an oct build 2020 and I only have 4. I do have all the other stuff that was removed though. Folding rear heatrests (after the mod to make them fold), glove box damper, engine cover and some other stuff I forget. Only missing the 2 tie downs.

frederick184

First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Super Crew XLT FX4
When I first saw the factory tie-downs I thought they looked like something I could get at Home Depot.

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
Some 2020s, too. Mine is an oct build 2020 and I only have 4. I do have all the other stuff that was removed though. Folding rear heatrests (after the mod to make them fold), glove box damper, engine cover and some other stuff I forget. Only missing the 2 tie downs.
lucky i dont have any of those on mine. the headrests really bug me.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
They fit in any holes that the tie downs would attach to. That's the holes in the front of the bed (including the 2 above the existing tie down locations).
Um, that’s not quite right. The front of the bed tie downs only fit in the lower pair of threaded holes. They do not fit the upper set unless you modify the tie downs slightly by elongating one of the holes. Then they go on.

dkirby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Lariat Tremor, '16 Focus RS, '10 Evo X
Occupation
Engineer
Um, that’s not quite right. The front of the bed tie downs only fit in the lower pair of threaded holes. They do not fit the upper set unless you modify the tie downs slightly by elongating one of the holes. Then they go on.
Okay my wording was clumsy. I meant that the M8 threaded eye bolts would fit into those holes; not that the OEM tie down can be relocated to the top holes.

RangerDanger617

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 - Cactus Grey
Occupation
Civil Engineer

MY23RANGER

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 XLT Ranger black edition 2wd
Occupation
Ford Tech
I have 1 set left, pm for further details

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
I always laugh when people use the term price gouging improperly. Its same thing on 6G forums with new Raptor.

A product being perceived as a "rip-off" is not the same as price gouging.

If I choose to sell my 2019 Ranger for $80,000 I am not price gouging anyone, I just have a retarded sense of what my vehicle is worth.

giphy.gif
Ford removing 2 tie downs from the box, then increasing the price of those parts to 1500% mark-up is absolutely price gouging.

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
This exactly. The top two holes are about 1/4" too far for the tie down to fit as is. Just a little dremel action and they are good to go.

1PXeBaO.jpg

NoTacos

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 RangerXLT CrewCab 4x4
I just pulled up the 2021 brochure and it says tie downs - doesn’t mention how many though. I guess Ford wants us to feel lucky we got 4 at least. In my 2002 F150 I only got 2 tie downs.

I revived an old thread the other day about how much they were charging for the screws that hold down the access panel on the tailgate. About 3.70 Canadian per screw. Yes per screw. Somehow screws in Canada cost more. The bolts for the transfer case skid plate cost me almost as much as the factory skid plate.

I agree with Jack - high prices is not the same as price gouging.
But if it is a need (such as medicine) then that would, IMO, be considered price gouging.
do I think the price of these tie downs are ridiculous- yes - but if you got shares in Ford - you would be happy with the profit margins by only giving 4 instead of 6.

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Ford removing 2 tie downs from the box, then increasing the price of those parts to 1500% mark-up is absolutely price gouging.

Where you advertised those tie-downs with your purchase and/or are these required for your truck to work?

If the answer is no, that is not price gouging.

Also, what the dealership charges vs. what you can go online and buy yourself is two different worlds. By your logic they are price gouging on their entire catalogue of parts. Even things like simple nuts and bolts.

Come on man, you know better; that is just what we call bad business, not price gouging.

Just go online and those tie downs are probably available from some vent for normal cost.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Where you advertised those tie-downs with your purchase and/or are these required for your truck to work?

If the answer is no, that is not price gouging.

Also, what the dealership charges vs. what you can go online and buy yourself is two different worlds. By your logic they are price gouging on their entire catalogue of parts. Even things like simple nuts and bolts.

Come on man, you know better; that is just what we call bad business, not price gouging.

Just go online and those tie downs are probably available from some vent for normal cost.
Ok, show me where they are for sale anywhere for less than 35 bucks each. The hardware is also a ripoff.

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Ok, show me where they are for sale anywhere for less than 35 bucks each. The hardware is also a ripoff.
If I get some free time I am happy to look.

Also, every piece of hardware or accessory on any car is a rip off. Iol
Sponsored