Ford Sync Changed - Update?

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager
So I thought I’d post this here since it’s a new thread about the sync system. I’ve had this truck for about four weeks now and at least once a week I have to do a reset on it because The SiriusXM button will not work. It will not respond it won’t do squat.
Once I reset it it works fine for about a week and then it freezes up again. Everything else seems to work II’m about to take it in to the dealership with a video of me trying to get it to work and having to do the reset by pushing the power and fast forward button at the same time for about five seconds or seven seconds whatever it is.
Anyone else had this issue and if so what was your remedy if anything?
apologies if this is too far off topic.
This was a very common problem when SYNC 3.4 was updated to Build 21020 and continued with Build 21098. Finally Ford issued Build 21194 which fixed all the problems with Siris, traffic, fuel prices, etc.

Check to see which version your Sync is currently using and if not Build 21194, do an update.
Sponsored

Delirious

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
This was a very common problem when SYNC 3.4 was updated to Build 21020 and continued with Build 21098. Finally Ford issued Build 21194 which fixed all the problems with Siris, traffic, fuel prices, etc.

Check to see which version your Sync is currently using and if not Build 21194, do an update.
thanks a bunch!

Muscleford

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat, 84 & 85 5.0 Merc Capri,14 Fusion
Occupation
Retired
How do you switch to the Lincoln screens? Do you need Forscan to do it?

Never mind found it.

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
So I thought I’d post this here since it’s a new thread about the sync system. I’ve had this truck for about four weeks now and at least once a week I have to do a reset on it because The SiriusXM button will not work. It will not respond it won’t do squat.
Once I reset it it works fine for about a week and then it freezes up again. Everything else seems to work II’m about to take it in to the dealership with a video of me trying to get it to work and having to do the reset by pushing the power and fast forward button at the same time for about five seconds or seven seconds whatever it is.
My screen, having had the truck all of ten days, looks like the OPs but also says the version was updated in January. I'll have to go get the version.

Ref the XM button freezing, mine does it too. I just listen to radio and eventually it comes back without me doing anything.

chasvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2017 MB GLE350, 2006 Porsche Cayman S
Vehicle Showcase

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
What ever happened to the Ford myColor LEDs? Wife had a 2005 (IIRC) Mustang Convertible that came with this feature, you could change the color of your LED lights that lit up the foot-wells, cup holders glove box interior, dash gauge cluster etc. They were all preset colors but there was like 32 of them or something crazy like that.

Reason I ask is that 5 years ago I had a Honewell Thermostat for the home and the aesthetic pretty much looks like the same guy / gal that designed the thermostat did the Synch update this last time. But the Honeywell thermostat had an almost infinite color change for the background and text. I was able to get it really close to matching my wall color on the LCD display. Seems like if Ford once had myColor technology 15 years ago they could do the same here so that your Synch screen could match the pain on your car or the interior or your favorite color - even if they only give you 32 colors to pick from.

Delirious

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase

Well I got around to checking mine. I'm at 3.4 and billed 21020. It won't update anymore. It says up-to-date

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager
Well I got around to checking mine. I'm at 3.4 and billed 21020. It won't update anymore. It says up-to-date
Build 21020 is known to have issues that were fixed with Build 21194. I don't understand when you state it won't update anymore. If you are having problems with the Ford site, try CyanLabs. I used CyanLabs to do my latest update.

Delirious

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Build 21020 is known to have issues that were fixed with Build 21194. I don't understand when you state it won't update anymore. If you are having problems with the Ford site, try CyanLabs. I used CyanLabs to do my latest update.
Thank you. I was using the Sync 3 updater. It says no updates available even though my dashboard at the owner site says Build 21194 is available.

Last edited:

dgnp1

First Name
Deb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, XLT Sport
Hey all! I was driving into work this morning when my ford sync and touchscreen completely shut off. It rebooted while I was driving and a "system updated" icon appeared in the top right. When everything booted back up, the display was entirely different as far as colors and font etc; I absolutely hate it.

Did Ford release an update that changed layout? Is there a way I can revert back or change my layout? I messed around in the settings and couldn't find anything. I miss my old layout/appearance!

Thanks for the help in advance. Here is a picture of the new layout/color scheme. I tried a master reset and its the same.

IMG-7387.jpg
How long did the download take?

Capt Jon

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
You have an option to go to Ford Owners Web site and download the update to a flash drive and update it manually. I don't use the update option in the vehicle as I would have to sit and wait in the parking lot while it updated. The flash drive will update while you are driving. Took about 20 minutes.

OP
OP
fortywater12

fortywater12

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Engineer
How long did the download take?
I couldn't tell you for certain, my truck automatically connects to my wifi when I get home so I think it downloaded after I got out of the truck after work one day. I was driving the truck for about 15-20 minutes before everything shut off and the system went through a restart. So maybe about 15-20 mins for install?

OP
OP
fortywater12

fortywater12

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Engineer
Hmmm never had this issue, sorry I couldn't be of more help. I don't use my SiriusXM because I did not renew it after the free trial - I can try and mess around with it though to see if I can replicate an issue.

Delirious

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hmmm never had this issue, sorry I couldn't be of more help. I don't use my SiriusXM because I did not renew it after the free trial - I can try and mess around with it though to see if I can replicate an issue.
Thanks but I have never kept the SiriusXM after the trial offer except one time. It was quite an ordeal to get it canceled. I never was one for radios because I like to hear the sound of the vehicle in case somethings going wrong
Sponsored