First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
retired
I have done some research and think using my old GoPro Hero3 would work as a monitor ($40 @ ebay). I think it can video for at least 5 hrs and will focus to 12" so that should work. I was thinking of mounting it aside my headrest so it could record over my shoulder as I put it in mode and take it out 5 hrs later. I will just swap chips every other day. I should know if something happened by day 2. If I screw up the trans. with the flat-tow process, at least I will be sure who the culprit was.

Plpalabama

First Name
Pam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021Ford Ranger
Occupation
Retired
I’m experiencing the same issue the dealership is trying to get Ford to cover the transmission on my 2021 Ford Ranger.
I was told if they refuse to cover my truck under it’s warranty to put a complaint into National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). I was told if the agency get enough complaints they will go back to the manufacturer to put out a recall which would require them to refund anyone with is issue.

Plpalabama

First Name
Pam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021Ford Ranger
Occupation
Retired
I was told this by a friend not dealership want to make that clear.

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
I have not flat towed and never plan on it.
But have read the procedures in the owners manual - note the steps vary some (wording) and step order differs between the years.
They are confusing to read and hard to follow- do the the various steps.
I can clearly see how owners can misstep on this and end up out of the proper sequence .
I believe the process - steps, is the whole issue.
If it was a simple process- then owners most likely would not have any issues.

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
Here is my issue and question about Flat Towing?

This is from a 2022- Online Version of the manual.

Note: The printed version of the 2019, 2020 and 2021, Leave out Step 8 of this On-Line Version

But my question and I believe trips up owners is:

Note: These steps from below.

Step 2, Press and Hold Brake Pedal
Step 3 through 8 - (Still Holding Brake Pedal)

Step 9 - Still Holding Brake Pedal, but with an extra (WTF)

Now for Step 9, Hello Ford, how do you expect owners to perform this step when you have not instructed to release the brake pedal.
Note: Step 9 clearly states, (With-Out) pressing Brake Pedal, so how are owners expected to follow this poorly written documentation?

My thought is that if you follow the procedure and while holding the Brake Pedal, then the engine will start (Brake Interlock Switch-Engaged)
Owner then (oops) and cycles key/button and now the proper sequence is out of whack. I am theorizing that that misstep is somehow the cause.

Step 10: Release Brake Pedal

So, I am only assuming here, Steps 9 and 10 are reversed.

Plus, Step 9, is vague for (Keyed Ignition), I have a feeling that the Keyed Ignition (Rangers) may show the most issues, as they miss the statement.
Turn the key as far toward the off position (The manual leaves out) the rest of the sentence or needs reworded to: (Turn key as far (Back) (Toward the Off) Position as the key will turn, thus taking it out of (Assy) mode. I think that this small step is causing the key to be left in (Assy Mode)
Then Battey voltage drops, and disables the Tow Mode memory, and reengages the transfer case.

I believe what Step 9, neglects to point out, is that the key will not fully turn to the off position, to remove the key, but it will turn back towards the off position and take it (off) electrically. (Out Of ASSY-Mode)
I do not have the keyed ignition but think that this is how it operates.

And to make the procedure more confusing, they add the note under step 9, to leave the key in the ignition, thus another step where you are led the think that the truck stays in (Assy-Mode)

For those that have successfully flat towed, what am I missing here?

I am trying to grasp what is actually happening here, and why this appears to be an issue for many owners.
And I believe the Improper Steps of 9 and 10, and the wording of Step 9 itself is the root cause of this issue.

TOWING THE VEHICLE ON FOUR WHEELS

WARNING
WARNING: If your vehicle has a steering wheel lock make sure the ignition is in the accessory or on position when being towed.
Emergency Towing
If your vehicle becomes inoperable without access to wheel dollies, a car-hauling trailer or a flatbed transport vehicle, you can flat-tow with all wheels on the ground, regardless of the powertrain and transmission configuration, under the following conditions:
  • Your vehicle is facing forward for towing in a forward direction.
  • Place the transmission in neutral (N). If you cannot move the transmission into neutral (N), you may need to override the gear shifter. See Automatic Transmission.
  • Maximum speed is 35 mph (55 km/h).
  • Maximum distance is 50 mi (80 km).
Recreational Towing
WARNING
WARNING: Do not disconnect the battery when recreationally towing your vehicle. This prevents the transfer case from shifting properly and could cause the vehicle to roll, even if the transmission is in park (P).
WARNING
WARNING: Placing the transfer case in its neutral position could cause your vehicle to freely roll. Make sure you press and hold the brake pedal and the vehicle is in a secure, safe position when you place the transfer case in its neutral position.
Follow these guidelines if you have a need for recreational towing. An example of recreational towing would be towing your vehicle behind a motorhome. These guidelines are to make sure that you do not damage the transmission.
You can only tow your vehicle with all wheels on the ground by placing the transfer case in its neutral position and engaging the recreational tow feature. Perform the following steps after positioning your vehicle behind the tow vehicle and properly securing them together.
Note: Put your climate control system in recirculated air mode to prevent exhaust fumes from entering your vehicle.
Note: Failure to put the transfer case in its neutral position can damage vehicle components.
Note: You can check the towing status at any time by opening the driver door or turning the ignition to the accessory or on position.Neutral Tow Enabled Leave Transmission in Neutral appears in the instrument cluster display to confirm you can recreationally tow your vehicle.
Switching Neutral Tow On
  1. Switch your vehicle to accessory mode by pressing the push button ignition switch without pressing the brake pedal or by turning the key to the on position.
  2. Press and hold the brake pedal.
  3. Rotate the four-wheel drive control to 2H.
  4. Shift the transmission to neutral (N).
  5. Using the instrument cluster controls on the steering wheel, select Settings.
  6. Select Vehicle.
  7. Select Neutral Tow.
  8. Press and hold the OK button until a confirmation message appears in the information display.
Note: If completed successfully, the information display shows Neutral Tow Enabled Leave Transmission in Neutral. This indicates that your vehicle is safe to tow with all wheels on the ground.

Note: If you do not see a confirmation message in the instrument cluster display, you must switch your vehicle off and perform the procedure again from the beginning.
Note: You could hear noise as the transfer case shifts into its neutral position. This is normal.

9. Leave the transmission in neutral (N) and switch your vehicle off by pressing the push button ignition switch once without pressing the brake pedal or turning the key as far toward the off position.

Note: Vehicles with keys do not turn to the off position when the transmission is in neutral (N). You must leave the key in the ignition when towing. Use the keyless entry keypad or an extra set of keys to lock and unlock your vehicle.

10. Release the brake pedal.

Last edited:

Caseyjay

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired
I have a 2019 Lariat FX4 with electronic (keyless) start so I can't directly answer your question. The following is my check list to start towing behind my motorhome. It has a couple of extra steps in there just to make it best for me.

1. Connect Ranger to RV
2. Fold up outside mirrors. (Pressing button above mirror controls on dash to the left of steering wheel.)
3. While the Ranger engine is running, press and hold the stability control button on the lower console for 3-5 sec. ( In front of shift lever, last button to the right on lower row. Looks like a car skidding.) A display will appear that says Stability system is off. Turn off engine. (Note: if engine is started again, Stability system will auto-turn-on, so you would have to repeat this again to disable.)
4. Press the engine START/STOP button once without pressing the brake pedal.
5. Press and hold the brake pedal.
6. Select Recirculate Air from front panel
7. Note: if Ranger in 4-wheel drive, rotate the four-wheel drive switch (by shifter) to 2H
8. Shift the transmission to neutral (N).
9. Enable Neutral Tow by selecting Settings on the instrument panel display menu via arrow keys steering wheel left side
10. Then select Vehicle.
11. Then select Neutral Tow and follow the instructions on screen.
12. Note: If successful, the information display shows Neutral Tow Enabled Leave Transmission in Neutral. This indicates that the Ranger is safe to tow.
13. Note: If you do not see the message in the display, you must switch the ignition off and perform the procedure again from the beginning.
14. Release the brake pedal.
15. Press the engine START/STOP button once without pressing the brake pedal. Take your keys and lock Ranger normally.
16. . Turn on brake system (on left kick panel) switch to the right

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
I have a 2019 Lariat FX4 with electronic (keyless) start so I can't directly answer your question. The following is my check list to start towing behind my motorhome. It has a couple of extra steps in there just to make it best for me.

1. Connect Ranger to RV
2. Fold up outside mirrors. (Pressing button above mirror controls on dash to the left of steering wheel.)
3. While the Ranger engine is running, press and hold the stability control button on the lower console for 3-5 sec. ( In front of shift lever, last button to the right on lower row. Looks like a car skidding.) A display will appear that says Stability system is off. Turn off engine. (Note: if engine is started again, Stability system will auto-turn-on, so you would have to repeat this again to disable.)
4. Press the engine START/STOP button once without pressing the brake pedal.
5. Press and hold the brake pedal.
6. Select Recirculate Air from front panel
7. Note: if Ranger in 4-wheel drive, rotate the four-wheel drive switch (by shifter) to 2H
8. Shift the transmission to neutral (N).
9. Enable Neutral Tow by selecting Settings on the instrument panel display menu via arrow keys steering wheel left side
10. Then select Vehicle.
11. Then select Neutral Tow and follow the instructions on screen.
12. Note: If successful, the information display shows Neutral Tow Enabled Leave Transmission in Neutral. This indicates that the Ranger is safe to tow.
13. Note: If you do not see the message in the display, you must switch the ignition off and perform the procedure again from the beginning.
14. Release the brake pedal.
15. Press the engine START/STOP button once without pressing the brake pedal. Take your keys and lock Ranger normally.
16. . Turn on brake system (on left kick panel) switch to the right

Thats my point, you are releasing the brake pedal before you select ignition to off, my above post is direct from the owner's manual as the very last step (Step 10) release brake pedal, so if owners are following the exact procedure posted in the owner's manual then it is a Ford issue as you followed the written and documented procedures as outlined and I believe they are poorly written and incorrect procedures.
The last steps are important, and I think owners are unintentionally leaving the truck in ASSY, BMS kicks in and starts dropping modules to save the battery, and it ends up out of tow mode being engaged, trashing the transmission in the process.

Caseyjay

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired
Thats my point, you are releasing the brake pedal before you select ignition to off, my above post is direct from the owner's manual as the very last step (Step 10) release brake pedal, so if owners are following the exact procedure posted in the owner's manual then it is a Ford issue as you followed the written and documented procedures as outlined and I believe they are poorly written and incorrect procedures.
The last steps are important, and I think owners are unintentionally leaving the truck in ASSY, BMS kicks in and starts dropping modules to save the battery, and it ends up out of tow mode being engaged, trashing the transmission in the process.
I agree with you on ambiguous wording. I followed the manual's steps (for my push button start Lariat) and at the last step, you must release the brake in order to obey last step to push start/stop without touching brake pedal. If you don't do that, then the engine starts while still in 4 down mode. Maybe in court, you could convince a jury that the manual could not be followed as written. But it would be Ford's lawyers against yours. My pockets aren't that deep. I suggest that anyone from Ford reading this, get a memo to rewrite that section asap..

Friday yet?

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Tremor, Focus ST
Occupation
Corporate drone. Dilbert's world is alive & well.
Well, I just read this entire thread. Yep, I'm weird. That said I definitely learned a couple of things:

1) I really wish I'd been a member here prior to RP getting banned. If he lived near me I'd buy him a beer.

2) Further confirmed that I'm gonna miss D Fresh. Would definitely have a beer with that guy.

Oh, as to the flat tow thing? Who cares? I can't afford an RV that big. So why did I read the entire thread? Sigh... I just couldn't stop.

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, Jayco 26' Class A
Occupation
Retired, work is a four letter word.
OK, it has been 1 year and another 7500 miles towing my 21 Ranger without any issues, I do take precautions as in photos of the dash display at the start and finish of the tow event. I have a tow charger to keep the rangers battery full, and follow a checklist to both engage and disengage tow mode. With a total of about 15,000 miles flat towing not one issue. (except for that one weird steering thing which might have been my fault). This is the checklist I use if interested.
Screenshot 2023-06-25 at 16.16.06.jpg
Sponsored