Ford Ranger vs Jeep Gladiator Off-Road Comparison (TFL)

Randy2400h

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Sport FX4, 2015 Ford Edge Sport
Vehicle Showcase
So what exactly did the Gladiator do better during the comparison off-road? They found a way to bury the nose of the Ranger by purposely picking a bad line and putting the rear axle at the apex of the hill and the front end at the bottom of the hill; whereas the Gladiator has a longer wheelbase and never reached the same nose down degree as the Ranger. If they had performed the same test on a hill with a slightly longer distance from Apex to bottom, the results would be the same. Both vehicles had off-road pages with inclinometers, I wish they had given us a number for degrees nose down. We do know that the Gladiator’s long wheelbase causes a significant amount of dragging, but most people aren’t going to leave the Gladiator at stock ride height. That goes for the Ranger as well, anyone taking it off-road is probably going to add at least a couple inches to the clearance on the front-end.

Point being, they are equally capable trucks. Both will be even better with some slight modifications. The Gladiator is just going to be easier to throw on suspension modifications with its solid front axle and (probably) better tire clearance in the wheel wells.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
So what exactly did the Gladiator do better during the comparison off-road? They found a way to bury the nose of the Ranger by purposely picking a bad line and putting the rear axle at the apex of the hill and the front end at the bottom of the hill; whereas the Gladiator has a longer wheelbase and never reached the same nose down degree as the Ranger. If they had performed the same test on a hill with a slightly longer distance from Apex to bottom, the results would be the same. Both vehicles had off-road pages with inclinometers, I wish they had given us a number for degrees nose down. We do know that the Gladiator’s long wheelbase causes a significant amount of dragging, but most people aren’t going to leave the Gladiator at stock ride height. That goes for the Ranger as well, anyone taking it off-road is probably going to add at least a couple inches to the clearance on the front-end.

Point being, they are equally capable trucks. Both will be even better with some slight modifications. The Gladiator is just going to be easier to throw on suspension modifications with its solid front axle and (probably) better tire clearance in the wheel wells.
I won't ever argue if you are into hard core off-roading that a Jeep is better - that is what they were built for. But unless it is a weekend toy, the majority of the time you will be driving it on pavement. And there needs to be compromises for that - I think the Ranger has done a GREAT job in those compromises. Makes it more refined on road, but has plenty of off road chops to handle most things.

It would definitely have been interesting to see the inclinometer readings for both vehicles. Honestly, I thought the Ranger did REALLY well, and I think they were both surprised at how well it did too.

The Jeep also gives you a front locker as well as disconectable sway bars - but all that comes at a steep price - I believe is was another 12 grand or something like that. You can do a LOT of mods to the Ranger for 12 grand to make it a lot closer.

OP
OP
rangerdanger

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
I won't ever argue if you are into hard core off-roading that a Jeep is better - that is what they were built for. But unless it is a weekend toy, the majority of the time you will be driving it on pavement. And there needs to be compromises for that - I think the Ranger has done a GREAT job in those compromises. Makes it more refined on road, but has plenty of off road chops to handle most things.

It would definitely have been interesting to see the inclinometer readings for both vehicles. Honestly, I thought the Ranger did REALLY well, and I think they were both surprised at how well it did too.

The Jeep also gives you a front locker as well as disconectable sway bars - but all that comes at a steep price - I believe is was another 12 grand or something like that. You can do a LOT of mods to the Ranger for 12 grand to make it a lot closer.
The Jeep Gladiator as optioned in the video was $60k compared to $42k for the Ranger FX4. That's a huge increase.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
the front camera is really nice, though :)

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The Jeep Gladiator as optioned in the video was $60k compared to $42k for the Ranger FX4. That's a huge increase.
That would almost pay for the Hennesey Velociraptor Ranger!!!! 18 Grand??? WOW. I know they will sell some, just because it is a Jeep, but man, that is a LOT of money!!!!

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
the front camera is really nice, though :)
I put a rear camera on my Accord for like $40 (including a screen) and it works really well. I have no doubt you could add a front camera to the Ranger for pretty cheap too.

But it would be cool to have a front camera. Actually that "360" camera thing they are doing on some vehicles now is pretty nice. I could see that being very useful on some off roading stuff.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I put a rear camera on my Accord for like $40 (including a screen) and it works really well. I have no doubt you could add a front camera to the Ranger for pretty cheap too.

But it would be cool to have a front camera. Actually that "360" camera thing they are doing on some vehicles now is pretty nice. I could see that being very useful on some off roading stuff.
If you find a link, post it. I'd imagine adding the front track stuff as a retrofit would be really hard, but I'd love to be wrong.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
If you find a link, post it. I'd imagine adding the front track stuff as a retrofit would be really hard, but I'd love to be wrong.
This is the camera I bought - not quite as high quality as the one on the truck, but it is pretty good:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071RB8YW9

It is setup to be used on the license plate, but I'm pretty sure you could pretty easily fabricate a mounting plate behind the grill for it. What would be even cooler would be if you could get it to display on the center monitor. Adding it with the included screen would be pretty simple I'd think. It was pretty easy to install in my Accord. The hardest part was running the wiring.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is the camera I bought - not quite as high quality as the one on the truck, but it is pretty good:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071RB8YW9

It is setup to be used on the license plate, but I'm pretty sure you could pretty easily fabricate a mounting plate behind the grill for it. What would be even cooler would be if you could get it to display on the center monitor. Adding it with the included screen would be pretty simple I'd think. It was pretty easy to install in my Accord. The hardest part was running the wiring.
I don't see how it could do the track

mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Supercab, Nissan Rogue
But wait..I thought our "friends" at TFL said this about the Ranger when explaining why the Ranger FX wasn't good enough to be in their comparison of Gladiator, TRD Pro and ZR2 https://www.tfltruck.com/2019/03/2020-jeep-gladiator-rubicon-vs-chevy-colorado-zr2-vs-toyota-tacoma-trd-pro-off-road-truck-guide/ :

"Why are the no Ford Ranger FX4 or Nissan Frontier PRO-4X in the table below? While the FX4 and the PRO-4X are very capable off-road trucks that offer good value – they are not on the same level in price or equipment as these other three trucks from Chevrolet and Toyota.

These guys are a nothing but a click-bait joke.

rooster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
STX FX4 SuperCrew
Occupation
engineering systems admin
Vehicle Showcase
I now have a Ranger STX and Jeep Wrangler JK X in my garage, I must say ... a Jeep with a truck bed has to be the ugliest thing I have ever seen. Just one mans opinion.

joeb427

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Fort Mill/Indian Land area South Carolina
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lariat Sport and 19 Lincoln MKC Reserve
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
A Nissan Murano convertible is uglier. :)

maxresdefault.jpg

8-2019-nissan-murano-convertible-convertible-2018-2019-nissan-with-2019-nissan-rogue-convertible.jpg

mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Supercab, Nissan Rogue
I now have a Ranger STX and Jeep Wrangler JK X in my garage, I must say ... a Jeep with a truck bed has to be the ugliest thing I have ever seen. Just one mans opinion.
There is a lot of pent-up demand, but I can't see this ugly, proportionally awkward thing remaining popular. That MOAB concept JL with a 6' bed on the other hand...if they could somehow make that an extended cab, it would be "Take My Money".

TacoHawkRanger

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Sport; 2013 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport
Occupation
Site Developer, USAF
Let us not forget, the Ranger is the only Mid-size that the off-road package is NOT also a trim level. I ordered my FX4 with bed liner and a couple other goodies for $34.5k. If I had 60k to blow on a vehicle, I'd still be getting my XL, lift it, but a new stereo system in it, bigger wheels and tires, Topper, Materials to build out the bed for camping, and other miscellaneous things AND still have 5 years of gas money...
Sponsored