Ford Ranger Sales Doubled in Q2; Ford Second Quarter Total Pickup Sales Strongest In 15 Years

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase

19_RANGER1.jpg

• Ford strategy to focus on its winning portfolio led to a strong pickup and SUV mix while expanding transaction pricing. Truck and SUVs totaled 83 percent of Q2 sales – 4 percentage points higher than year ago, growing quarter ending transaction prices by $1,500 to $36,400 per vehicle.
  • Ford’s total pickup sales in Q2 increased 7 percent, accelerating at a faster rate than first quarter growth of 5 percent. Second quarter represented our best overall pickup truck sales performance since 2004.
  • Total Q2 F-Series sales pass the 230,000 mark, further extending our leadership position this quarter. F-Series transaction pricing was solid at $47,500 per truck, $1,200 higher than a year ago and $2,500 above the segment average.
  • Ranger retail sales have grown every month since January adding 20,880 trucks to Ford’s total pickup truck sales for the quarter. Q2 Ranger sales more than doubled relative to first quarter results.
2019-sales-2q-1.png
2019-sales-2q-2.png

------------

Original Post Below

Toyota Tacoma June Sales Are Down Compared to Last Year – Can Competition Finally Catch Them?

Toyota Tacoma sales in June 2019 decline compared to June of last year. Toyota sold 20,476 trucks this June, which is a -8.2% decline. This is the first significant decline the truck has seen in many months. The Tacoma is still up when you look at the first six months of 2019. Overall, the Tacoma is up 4.8% Year-to-Date (YTD).

We do not have Ford and Honda sales data as of this writing. The Ford official sales numbers come out tomorrow morning. Once we have it, we will update this post.

General Motors is reporting sales on a quarterly basis. The Chevy Colorado sold on average 10,556 truck in Q2 2019. This still represents a decline when compared to the same period last year. The Colorado is down in sales for the year as well by -6.7%. Although, the GMC Canyon sales improved by 12% for the year.

The new 2020 Jeep Gladiator sales continue to ramp up. Jeep sold 4,231 trucks in June. Once we have two or three more month of sales data for the the Jeep truck, we will publish a graph to estimate upcoming sales as well.

Another surprise is that Nissan is still selling a lot of Frontier trucks. Nissan sold 7,346 Frontiers in June, which is a 7.1% improvement over last year.

tflt.png
Sponsored

Attachments

joeb427

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Fort Mill/Indian Land area South Carolina
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lariat Sport and 19 Lincoln MKC Reserve
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
With that. look for the new generation Tacoma to have many improvements.
Also, the Tacoma has a refresh on the '20 model.

Last edited:

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
With that. look for the new generation Tacoma to have many improvements.
Also, the Tacoma has a refresh on the '20 model.
One month does not a trend make. Competition is good for us all, and I think the new models from all makers will be very interesting to see what they bring to the table. Unless Ford totally blows me away with some feature on the new Ranger, I will be keeping my 2019 for quite some time, however. It is interesting to see how each company responds.

joeb427

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
One month does not a trend make. Competition is good for us all, and I think the new models from all makers will be very interesting to see what they bring to the table. Unless Ford totally blows me away with some feature on the new Ranger, I will be keeping my 2019 for quite some time, however. It is interesting to see how each company responds.
I agree. That's why after 2 Tacomas, I'm in a Ranger.
With a refresh '20 coming for Tacoma, I would expect their sales to be down.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I agree. That's why after 2 Tacomas, I'm in a Ranger.
With a refresh '20 coming for Tacoma, I would expect their sales to be down.
From what I saw of the 2020 refresh for the Tacoma, it wasn't much of a refresh - they added a drivers side adjustable seat (but not passenger?), LED headlights and Apple Car Play/AA functionality. That was about it. That seems pretty weak for a "refresh". It amazes me they don't seem to be worried about the powertrain deficiencies.....

Cerwin D. Vega

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT 4x4
The June incentives may have been end of quarter juicing. The valuable June incentives are gone as of today.

OP
OP
rangerdanger

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
The June incentives may have been end of quarter juicing. The valuable June incentives are gone as of today.
Q3 incentives should be released soon. There's always a delay after 1 quarter ends and another begins.

Cerwin D. Vega

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT 4x4

joeb427

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
From what I saw of the 2020 refresh for the Tacoma, it wasn't much of a refresh - they added a drivers side adjustable seat (but not passenger?), LED headlights and Apple Car Play/AA functionality. That was about it. That seems pretty weak for a "refresh". It amazes me they don't seem to be worried about the powertrain deficiencies.....
The driver's seat issue was a big one.
I think Toyota will address the 'wimpy' V6 power and upgrade the present lousy tech in the new gen '22.

Last edited:

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I don't see how letting you adjust the seat higher helps in a platform that also has headroom issues...
Well, it would if they had addressed the headroom issues, but it doesn't appear they did. I actually laughed at one of the comparison videos that I watched where the guy (who wasn't that tall - less than 6') kept hitting his head getting in and out of the Tacoma. I have to say, I didn't notice that when I test drove the Tacoma but it seems to be a very common complaint - and only gets worse if you get a sunroof.

Truckguy

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ranger
I mean they still have had the best quarter and best first half of the year ever when selling Tacomas (121,866 trucks), will be interesting to see the numbers at the end of the year compared to both trucks, but you'd have to expect at least some decilce given the amount of options out there now in the midsize truck market.

Competition is always good, keep these automakers on their toes.

https://pressroom.toyota.com/toyota-motor-north-america-reports-june-2019-sales/

Last edited: