Ford performance tune in cali

XL GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger STX
Occupation
Civil Engineering Firm
That's what I've heard/read from everyone else too. I don't think the guy ever sleeps because he seems to answer right away. lol Doc @Doc had also worked with Torrie when the Ranger first came out and has a really nice custom tune which is still o the tuner I bought from him.
I've read several of @Doc's quotes and experiences he had with Torrie which is what got me interested in Unleashed in the first place. I try not to be disrespectful regarding the other sponsors of the forum by talking them down just to make another look better. But so far, Torrie has answered EVERYTHING in short order, precise and to the point.
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I've read several of @Doc's quotes and experiences he had with Torrie which is what got me interested in Unleashed in the first place. I try not to be disrespectful regarding the other sponsors of the forum by talking them down just to make another look better. But so far, Torrie has answered EVERYTHING in short order, precise and to the point.
Same here and I've had no problems with Livernois. It's just now with a new truck I want to try a new tune and like you I don't want or need 5 tunes. I had that with my LMS tune and I always ran the 91-93 Performance tune. I understand for some having the Ford tune gives them piece of mind in case anything happens. But these others have been run by many here and have yet to cause their ranger to go 💣.

Also @NOVA_Ranger had a transmission problem and was tuned and his dealer took care of it under warranty. But, it's always a risk which I'm willing to take because it seems like these tunes really help with the shifting problems most encounter.

XL GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger STX
Occupation
Civil Engineering Firm
Same here and I've had no problems with Livernois. It's just now with a new truck I want to try a new tune and like you I don't want or need 5 tunes. I had that with my LMS tune and I always ran the 91-93 Performance tune. I understand for some having the Ford tune gives them piece of mind in case anything happens. But these others have been run by many here and have yet to cause their ranger to go 💣.

Also @NOVA_Ranger had a transmission problem and was tuned and his dealer took care of it under warranty. But, it's always a risk which I'm willing to take because it seems like these tunes really help with the shifting problems most encounter.
Exactly. They've all been around long enough to sort through the fine tuning, or we would've definitely heard about it by now if one goes boom. I know there was one that I recall, but I think that was fairly early on. And yes, give me better shifting, a little more power, and be able to haul in one tune. That's my goal.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Last I checked Livernoise is 50 state legal so you don't have to worry about flashing before testing. Also if you flash before testing you have to drive the vehicle to clear the drive monitors or you will fail the test

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase
Here's the CA carb doc for 2019-2020 years.

Attachments

DrPep

First Name
Pepijn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST, VW Golf, Ranger, Indian Scout, Beta RRS
Occupation
Research
From what I understand the FP tube is CARB approved up to MY21. This is what I have and I printed the EO to be kept in the truck, just in case. Not sure what changed with subsequent model years.

The way to go would be to install the tune yourself or get some ASE certified mechanic to do it, all you'd need is their info and a receipt for the install to get the warranty. If you find the right guy they may even write you up an invoice for the install you did yourself.

Then, when smogging comes around in 8 years you just reflash back to stock. They can certainly tell that you did *something*, but as long as it's OK at the time of the inspection there's nothing they can do - otherwise any car that was ever tuned would fail. Or you give the guy a good tip and he might not notice the tune. Either way not a big deal.

ControlNode

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
84 Civic "2000S"/16 Focus RS/21 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Computers
As for the 22-23 FP tune in CA, I think CA's CARB got more strict.

As for the buy and install it yourself, I don't know what the tune is setup to check when installing, but it would really suck if when installing it on a 22-23 there was either geo-fenced area that it refuses to install on the 22-23 within the CA state lines, or there was a VIN scan against the CA DMV registered vehicles database before the tuned download was presented.

PltFX4

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2109 Ranger Lariat FX4
FYI: Can't speak to the main issue of this thread BUT discovered a added benefit of the FPT - speedometer adjustment based on tire size and/or final drive ratio function.

Dealer had installed the tune when truck was new and I had no basic need to look at the tuning device since (3 years). Read that the tune itself has not changed but the software in the device has had several updates and best practice is to keep it up-to-date. Friday I updated the device and then plugged into the Ranger to "review" if any thing else needs to be done. Looked at the maintenance menu and there was the speedo update function. Calculate the rotations of your size wheel/tire combo per mile; enter it and send it. 3 minutes and done. No third party calibrator required or FORScan.

So both my summer and winter tires are bigger than stock (final diff ration stock 3.73) so this will be very handy.
Sponsored