First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
I might make my own cell phone someday, it won't stop the spying but it'll cut it down. The hard part is getting good coverage, they like to not sell the modem you need in the US.
Sponsored

ljames

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jameselectronics.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger 4x4 FX4, 2011 CRV,1998 Ford E250 super
Occupation
contractor
Sony the worlds leader in consumer/pro technology, uses the Android platform. The existing system Sync 3 is based on Blackberry, which is very highly rated by the automotive industry and CR mag. Ford tends to do the right thing like partnering with JBL and Sony.

Last edited:

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Engineer
Holy fuck balls! That's major news man! Someone should warn us!

I mean - I guess it's all right in front of us the whole time! A company that operates as the very fucking definition of capitalism, is publicly traded and the CEO is a gay man - Jesus H tap dancin' Christ that just says NAZI all over doesn't it!? How could we have been SO BLIND!

/s
I must have missed other posts, or it was made by a couple of the people I've ignored.

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase
I must have missed other posts, or it was made by a couple of the people I've ignored.
Funny, people are more bent over an operating system change of getting an empty creamer jug at Starbucks than losing constitutional guarantees ... Who'da thought:turkey:

egilbe

First Name
Earl
Threads
Reaction score
Somewhere between ME and AZ, depends on the season
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat with BAP, Tow and FX4
Occupation
Semi-retired, lazy bum/tramp, formerly Sys admin in a toxic work environment
Funny, people are more bent over an operating system change of getting an empty creamer jug at Starbucks than losing constitutional guarantees ... Who'da thought:turkey:
The government isn't spying on its people. Nope, not at all.

Helloooo Patriot Act!

port43

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
childrescuecoalition.org
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX FX4, 2017 Lincoln MKX, 2008 Harley XL 1200N, 1972 Pontiac LeMans Convertible
Occupation
Secret agent, man
I have the big screen in my Lincoln and don't use 90% of the stuff it has. Most of the time I'm bitching at it. Have the base radio in my Ranger and just use my iPhone for everything. Much more content with the way that works.

Privacy was gone long ago. It's a full time job to stay off the grid so just assume you're being watched and deal accordingly. You can try to be secure on the internet but as soon as you create any type of account, it's over. Doesn't matter if it's bookface, instatube, snapgif, twixxer, or whatever - you can be tracked. VPN? That's just a tunnel to keep your back and forth session secure but your start and end IP? It can be had.

I've said it before, use tor.

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Engineer
I have the big screen in my Lincoln and don't use 90% of the stuff it has. Most of the time I'm bitching at it. Have the base radio in my Ranger and just use my iPhone for everything. Much more content with the way that works.

Privacy was gone long ago. It's a full time job to stay off the grid so just assume you're being watched and deal accordingly. You can try to be secure on the internet but as soon as you create any type of account, it's over. Doesn't matter if it's bookface, instatube, snapgif, twixxer, or whatever - you can be tracked. VPN? That's just a tunnel to keep your back and forth session secure but your start and end IP? It can be had.

I've said it before, use tor.
I used tor and Comcast sent me a cease and desist letter.

port43

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
childrescuecoalition.org
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX FX4, 2017 Lincoln MKX, 2008 Harley XL 1200N, 1972 Pontiac LeMans Convertible
Occupation
Secret agent, man
I used tor and Comcast sent me a cease and desist letter.
WTF???? Seriously? I don't understand how they could possibly dictate which browsers you can or cannot use. They must not like the IP leapfrogging around the planet.

In 2014 they flat out said they had no problem with people using the tor browser. :mad: Subject for another thread I guess.

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Engineer
WTF???? Seriously? I don't understand how they could possibly dictate which browsers you can or cannot use. They must not like the IP leapfrogging around the planet.

In 2014 they flat out said they had no problem with people using the tor browser. :mad: Subject for another thread I guess.
This was when they first came out. They argued that only dark web activities used them and it was their prerogative.

port43

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
childrescuecoalition.org
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Secret agent, man
This was when they first came out. They argued that only dark web activities used them and it was their prerogative.
That sounds more like "we know what is best for you so fall in line." That browser actually allows political dissidents and others that are oppressed by their governments the ability to see what is going on in the world without fear of retribution so....

I know, preaching to the choir.

Dr.Me

First Name
Daven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Just because you have an Android doesn't mean you have to use Google, if you're that worried. The beauty of Android is the limitless customization, once you figure out how easy it is it can be tailored to you.

Sync has little to no customization, this would definitely be an upgrade.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Just because you have an Android doesn't mean you have to use Google, if you're that worried. The beauty of Android is the limitless customization, once you figure out how easy it is it can be tailored to you.

Sync has little to no customization, this would definitely be an upgrade.
Hi Dr,

I am an outlier on this, but my opinion is Sync needs to die....been terrible since initial launch....

egilbe

First Name
Earl
Threads
Reaction score
Somewhere between ME and AZ, depends on the season
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat with BAP, Tow and FX4
Occupation
Semi-retired, lazy bum/tramp, formerly Sys admin in a toxic work environment
Hi Dr,

I am an outlier on this, but my opinion is Sync needs to die....been terrible since initial launch....
I for one, am looking forward to rooting my truck and downloading the latest cyanogenmod. As long as it doesn't have some stupid skin on it, like touchwiz from Samsung, I'll be happy. Plain vanilla Android.

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Engineer
Well, plenty of software gauge applications for Android, maybe that'll be cool.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Just because it's android based doesn't mean it won't be locked down...

In fact it almost certainly will be, to comply with regulations. If you can put an arbitrary app on screen you can play netflix while you're driving and we don't need any more of that.
Sponsored