Ford Halts Production of the F-150 Lightning EV. That’s a Plus for Rivian.

shred5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4

Stevedbvik1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Tremor XLT
Occupation
Retired
Escape shutdown is a software issue. Affecting both ICE and Hybrid/PHEV builds. Not a safety issue but more of a nuisance issue. The 23 Escape was a refresh for this year and sounds like they got the cart before the horse again.

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Here's the most recent update this morning on the Lighnting Battery issue. The last line doesn't give me any warm fuzzy feeling though. :oops:

https://fordauthority.com/2023/02/ford-f-150-lightning-production-pause-extended/

Ford F-150 Lightning production is expected to be down through at least the end of next week, though the automaker also noted that it believes its engineers have found the root cause of the problem – which has thus far only been discovered on one vehicle. FoMoCo’s investigation is expected to be completed by the end of next week, at which time the company will make some adjustments to its battery production process that could take several more weeks to implement.

Ford still hasn’t revealed what this battery issue might be, though it’s worth noting that the F-150 Lightning’s batteries come from SK On, a South Korean manufacturer that is also part of the a joint venture with the automaker called BlueOvalSK. Ford noted that it is not aware of any issues present in pickups that have already been delivered to customers and dealers, and the latter can continue selling stock that’s already on hand.

Ford has faced its fair share of quality issues in recent months, also pausing 2023 Ford Escape production this week due to a software problem. In an effort to take action and make quality a point of focus in its operations, CEO Jim Farley recently brought in turnaround expert Josh Halliburton to be the company’s new executive director of quality. However, while Halliburton believes Ford’s quality woes will begin to subside this year, Farley isn’t quite as optimistic.

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Escape shutdown is a software issue. Affecting both ICE and Hybrid/PHEV builds. Not a safety issue but more of a nuisance issue. The 23 Escape was a refresh for this year and sounds like they got the cart before the horse again.
Those software issues seem pretty common now a day with all the tech involved.

I had made the comment over on the 6G site about how it's nice they test the new Ranger over there first. This way we get feedback and can make adjustments before getting it here. IIRC one of the guys over there said there were only a few of these software issues with the new ROTW Ranger and nothing drivetrain related. Ours here will be getting pretty much the same engine/transmission so maybe these won't have to many first year redo issues? ?

Stevedbvik1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Tremor XLT
Occupation
Retired

I had made the comment over on the 6G site about how it's nice they test the new Ranger over there first. This way we get feedback and can make adjustments before getting it here. IIRC one of the guys over there said there were only a few of these software issues with the new ROTW Ranger and nothing drivetrain related. Ours here will be getting pretty much the same engine/transmission so maybe these won't have to many first year redo issues? ?
Hope so. But who will be the guinea pig for the 6G Ranger PHEV ? ?

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Hope so. But who will be the guinea pig for the 6G Ranger PHEV ? ?
Not me! But I'm sure it'll be similar to a PHEV being used by Ford already. Normally I wouldn't worry to much if it was but with all these warranty claims and issues going on now I'd be lying if I said I wasn't.

shred5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4

I hope you are right and Ford shakes out the problems over there before brining the Ranger here.

I have been seeing allot of videos like the one in the other thread where people are having issues with the New Ranger and Ford is pretty much ignoring them so much so it made the news..

I get it with all the tech and emissions there will be issues. Everyone will have issue but a good company handles the issues. I do not care if there are 10 recalls if they are fixing a problem. Not taking care of them is where I have a issue. Ford Screwed me on our Focus and it pissed me off so bad. It cost Ford dearly in the end in the final lawsuit ( I got nothing because we dumped it). Ignoring issues is what Chevy has done for a long time too.

I want American car companies to succeed and I want them to do better. Problem here is it's all about the stock holder and not the customer. Take care of the customer and you have a customer for life and you have a better stock price. What I see is a bunch of CEO's who only care about the the hear and now and kick the ball down the road to the next CEO. All they care about is short term stock price. CEO makes millions and what does he care if he does not have a job 6 years down the road..

Again Problems will arise it is how you handle them and take care of the customer that sets great companies apart.

I decided to hold on to my Ranger. I usually trade in a this point. I want to see how the Next Gen Colorado, Ranger, Nissan and Taco play out before buying.

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I hope you are right and Ford shakes out the problems over there before brining the Ranger here.

I have been seeing allot of videos like the one in the other thread where people are having issues with the New Ranger and Ford is pretty much ignoring them so much so it made the news..

I get it with all the tech and emissions there will be issues. Everyone will have issue but a good company handles the issues. I do not care if there are 10 recalls if they are fixing a problem. Not taking care of them is where I have a issue. Ford Screwed me on our Focus and it pissed me off so bad. It cost Ford dearly in the end in the final lawsuit ( I got nothing because we dumped it). Ignoring issues is what Chevy has done for a long time too.

I want American car companies to succeed and I want them to do better. Problem here is it's all about the stock holder and not the customer. Take care of the customer and you have a customer for life and you have a better stock price. What I see is a bunch of CEO's who only care about the the hear and now and kick the ball down the road to the next CEO. All they care about is short term stock price. CEO makes millions and what does he care if he does not have a job 6 years down the road..

Again Problems will arise it is how you handle them and take care of the customer that sets great companies apart.

I decided to hold on to my Ranger. I usually trade in a this point. I want to see how the Next Gen Colorado, Ranger, Nissan and Taco play out before buying.
Yes every company will have their share of problems but avoiding them just makes the customer angry and makes them look elsewhere. I had this happen with my Tacoma and without going into a long dragged out story let's just say I'll never buy another one ever! I do hope Ford cleans this mess (warranty issues) up and I've always loved their trucks. But shelling out $60K+ for a Ranger Raptor has me worried and I'm looking closely at the BRaptor and the ROTW Ranger Raptors very closely now. One thing that helps a lot os having a good service dept and a good relationship with them. They can usually help you out and go to bat for you when dealing with Ford.

The new Colorado ZR2 does look really nice and I will be keeping a close watch on that when it comes out. I almost bought one before buying my Ranger but the interior was very dated and the transmission had me worried. It's still the same transmission but "supposedly" they fixed the past issues.

shred5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Yes every company will have their share of problems but avoiding them just makes the customer angry and makes them look elsewhere. I had this happen with my Tacoma and without going into a long dragged out story let's just say I'll never buy another one ever! I do hope Ford cleans this mess (warranty issues) up and I've always loved their trucks. But shelling out $60K+ for a Ranger Raptor has me worried and I'm looking closely at the BRaptor and the ROTW Ranger Raptors very closely now. One thing that helps a lot os having a good service dept and a good relationship with them. They can usually help you out and go to bat for you when dealing with Ford.

The new Colorado ZR2 does look really nice and I will be keeping a close watch on that when it comes out. I almost bought one before buying my Ranger but the interior was very dated and the transmission had me worried. It's still the same transmission but "supposedly" they fixed the past issues.

I owned a Colorado before my Ranger. No issues, good truck the Transmission was a little rough shifting. The Colorado felt a little more truckish, Less tech and a little more rugged. The Ranger feels a little more SUVish and comfortable. I like both and neither have gave me much of a issue. I did like the 6 Cyl on my Colorado it just sounded better.

That said the new Colorado exterior styling is amazing. I think it maybe one of the best looking trucks I have seen and especially the GMC.. That said Chevy has had even more issues the last few years with quality than Ford it seems.

The Frontier actually looks good but might just be a little small for us. I think they have had some launch issues too. I do not follow them as close. I like it has a 6 cyl.

Taco will be interesting because if what they say is true it may be the first major change in a long time. If the interior is the same for me I do not fit in one, I ma 6'1 and 240 pounds. I honestly just do not fit in one and we drive long distance allot and the reason I like the Ranger it is comfortable for those long trips.

I am not so sure about my dealer. I like their sales but not service. Even oil changes are a nightmare. I get yea 45 min to a hour and 3 hours later sitting there still waiting for my truck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Now there's another update. lol

They found the root of the problem that caused the fire but won't disclose it yet. The fire occurred in a holding lot during a pre-delivery quality check and spread to a nearby vehicle, according to Ford. :oops:

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/ford-identifies-source-f-150-131628169.html

U.S. automaker Ford Motor Co (NYSE: F) has reportedly identified the issue that forced it to halt production for the F-150 Lightning electric pickup. The carmaker stopped production in response to one vehicle catching fire during a pre-delivery quality inspection in a company holding lot in Dearborn, Michigan, on February 4. Ford said that it believes engineers have found the root cause of the fire. The investigation into the problem is expected to be completed by the end of next week, followed by adjustments to the truck's battery production process that "could take a few weeks."

The fire, first reported by the Detroit Free Press, occurred in a holding lot during a pre-delivery quality check and spread to a nearby vehicle, according to Ford. A Ford spokeswoman declined to disclose additional details of the issue, which led to the production halt and a stop-shipment of already-produced trucks. The report also added that Ford is unaware of any incidents of this issue in vehicles already delivered to customers and dealers. Retailers can continue to sell vehicles that they may already have in stock.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
So suppositorly they found root cause, but I really doubt it is certain...more it is "most likely" found. Thermal events are very serious for a vehicle manufacturer. I am of the opinion that the press takes "most likely" as definitely. There is a VP at Ford that has quality under them. He/She needs to be dismissed as launch and assembly quality are deplorable. Lightning is likely in the mix of poor quality, but may also be Farley's hurry up engineering pressure to get the programing done so we can be first at launch, not unlike Sync which was pushed out the door too soon... I fear for the lower level folks, as the VPs will shift blame down the ladder until someone is shown the door....

best,
Phil

Last edited:

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
So it's a hybrid?
My understanding is that it is a full-on EV, but it has a small gas generator to crank up some extra electricity in emergencies. Still, you could argue that if it has an electric motor and a gas-powered one, it is technically a hybrid.

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Now they're saying the problem was related to the battery itself but no reason why. But now they have another issue. ?‍♂ One that can prevent the Lightning from shifting into drive or cause it to gradually lose power while driving. It's thought to only affect around 100 trucks BUT it's possible more could be affected.

https://fordauthority.com/2023/02/ford-f-150-lightning-impacted-by-separate-battery-issue/

The issue that caused this fire is directly related to the battery itself, which is produced by supplier SK On at its plant in Atlanta and then assembled at the Ford Rawsonville plant in Ypsilanti. FoMoCo is working with SK to find a fix, with production expected to resume in a few weeks. However, another Ford F-150 Lightning battery issue has now surfaced.

The problem – which can prevent the Ford F-150 Lightning from shifting into drive or cause it to gradually lose power while driving – is believed to affect around 100 total vehicles, though it’s possible that more could be impacted as well. The issue was discovered through vehicle data monitoring, which alerts the automaker when a problem surfaces.

TJC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 Miata, 05 Ranger 4x4, 20 Ranger 4x4, 23 CX-5
The Lightening line shutdown due to a truck right off the line self igniting while being inspected in the parking lot. My understanding is the problem was a battery manufacturing defect.

Just read this last night.
Sponsored