Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Probably most folks don't realize that Ford Designed and once built this truck.

1604963948670.png

Sterling was created following the 1997 acquisition of the heavy-truck product lines of Ford Motor Company by Freightliner. Introduced as a rebadged version of Ford Louisville/Aeromax product line.

"KTP became more of a regular production assembly plant."

Phil,
That's true, we became just another Vehicle Operations plant. But getting what was then called "Commercial Light Truck" and is now Super Duty was, in the long run very good for KTP. Present plant population is over 9000 employees. The total order bank as of late September was right at 100,000 including Superduty, Expedition and Navigator. Even in these difficult times, mandatory overtime weekend production is on the schedule. They can sell every one they can build.

From the sidelines, I cheer them on. :clap: I want my retirement deposits to continue on.:)?
Hi Gregg,

Oops....I misspelled Sterling..... The Aeromax last version was called the Hard Runner. I was co-founder and Co-editor of the Truck Newsletter, a glossy 8 page publication that was monthly and distributed to all Truck employees. (not sure if it made it to KTP but should have. Do you recall it?) It was a of mixed bag of technical and other things in Truck. I had two standing columns....Truck Motorsports and Top Tough Truckers. I also did one offs. I learned about the Hard Runner and got a chance to write a behind the wheel of a Areomax Hard Runner. I drove it at the Dearborn Test track with a 45 ft trailer attached, my first and only 18 wheeler experience. The Heavy Truck engineer with me was John L...nickname Lube. It was a real eye opener for me and a precursor to driving my 40 ft Alfa RV with my Ranger in tow... Fun times! I have an archive of Truck Newsletters and will see if I have the Hard Runner Article... Half of my Ford stuff got lost in the move from Michigan to Arizona...drat!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

gfitzge2

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS, 2019 Ranger, 2021 Mustang Mach 1
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Gregg,

Oops....I misspelled Sterling..... The Aeromax last version was called the Hard Runner. I was co-founder and Co-editor of the Truck Newsletter, a glossy 8 page publication that was monthly and distributed to all Truck employees. (not sure if it made it to KTP but should have. Do you recall it?) It was a of mixed bag of technical and other things in Truck. I had two standing columns....Truck Motorsports and Top Tough Truckers. I also did one offs. I learned about the Hard Runner and got a chance to write a behind the wheel of a Areomax Hard Runner. I drove it at the Dearborn Test track with a 45 ft trailer attached, my first and only 18 wheeler experience. The Heavy Truck engineer with me was John L...nickname Lube. It was a real eye opener for me and a precursor to driving my 40 ft Alfa RV with my Ranger in tow... Fun times! I have an archive of Truck Newsletters and will see if I have the Hard Runner Article... Half of my Ford stuff got lost in the move from Michigan to Arizona...drat!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Yes I do remember the Truck Newsletter. Unfortunately I didn't keep any of them. I do still have an Aeromax , a Hard Runner and Louisville truck emblems. There were also some great sales posters. I still have the one pictured below Framed.

Another interesting thing. The HN 80 project was an aluminum cab Aeromax that we actually built at KTP just before Ford sold the Heavy Truck product to Freightliner. When ford came out with the Aluminum F150 every one thought it was revolutionary. Some of us old Heavy Truck guys just laughed, we did that 20 years ago.

Hard runner.jpg

Ford aero max.jpg

gfitzge2

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Vehicle Showcase
i guess it would be dependant on how the assembly line is set up
im doubting with all these low VOC paints, containment , distribution and extraction systems would allow for someone to roll up with a can of your best tremclad and hook it into the system.
for all we know, your caddy could have made it to a body shop as well for its unique color.
Exactly. An assembly plant paint shop is a massive operation. Painting is done with a couple of different automated systems. Some is done with robots and some with a bell system, along with some human painters. Color changes, even for the normal colors are very expensive. Paint has to be purged from these systems and that is expensive. Millions are spent on the pollution containment for the purged paint. To minimize this, the paint shop runs "color blocks" in other words paint a batch of white ones then change to a bunch of blue ones and so on. A one off custom color would not be done in the paint facility. It would have to be done somewhere else.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Yes I do remember the Truck Newsletter. Unfortunately I didn't keep any of them. I do still have an Aeromax , a Hard Runner and Louisville truck emblems. There were also some great sales posters. I still have the one pictured below Framed.

Another interesting thing. The HN 80 project was an aluminum cab Aeromax that we actually built at KTP just before Ford sold the Heavy Truck product to Freightliner. When ford came out with the Aluminum F150 every one thought it was revolutionary. Some of us old Heavy Truck guys just laughed, we did that 20 years ago.

Hard runner.jpg

Ford aero max.jpg
Hi Gregg,

Found my old Truck Newletter with the Hard Runner Article....

Attachments

rang19ca

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 2024 Escape ST-Line
Occupation
Retired Diesel Mechanic
Hey guys. Thanks for the pictures of Ford Heavy Trucks. My employer bought Ford Class 8 Trucks/Tractors and later Sterling trucks/Tractors. I spent many hours working on those units over the years.
Hey Phil, Did you know Andy Jacobson? I met him a couple of times thru his son who I rode motorcycles with. I liked his son but wasn't quite sure about Andy.

gfitzge2

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Vehicle Showcase
Hey guys. Thanks for the pictures of Ford Heavy Trucks. My employer bought Ford Class 8 Trucks/Tractors and later Sterling trucks/Tractors. I spent many hours working on those units over the years.
Hey Phil, Did you know Andy Jacobson? I met him a couple of times thru his son who I rode motorcycles with. I liked his son but wasn't quite sure about Andy.
Can you say who that employer was? There was a special building at KTP called KTech. They added accessories like 5th wheels and such. They also added lettering and specialized graphics for many customers. I probably saw some of your trucks. Almost every Truck was a special order. You could get a Ford truck with certain AC Delco parts. Engines could be from Cummins, Cat or Detroit Diesel. When Penske took over Detroit Diesel the engines had light blue paint jobs that looked good enough to be on the outside of a vehicle. :) ?

rang19ca

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 2024 Escape ST-Line
Occupation
Retired Diesel Mechanic
Can you say who that employer was? There was a special building at KTP called KTech. They added accessories like 5th wheels and such. They also added lettering and specialized graphics for many customers. I probably saw some of your trucks. Almost every Truck was a special order. You could get a Ford truck with certain AC Delco parts. Engines could be from Cummins, Cat or Detroit Diesel. When Penske took over Detroit Diesel the engines had light blue paint jobs that looked good enough to be on the outside of a vehicle. :) ?
I worked for a company called Jordanos. The dealership was Big Ts later called Velocity. We also used Carmenita truck center.

Last edited:

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
You are correct. I don't know how many it takes to get a special color but it is a lot. Kentucky Truck once built a large order for .... I think it was UPS, they had their own set of specifications including an air operated starter. It was extremely loud and would scare the hell out of you when it started up if you were not expecting it.?
"wwwwhhhhooooOOOPPP!!!" I've heard 'em.
too loud.jpeg

JAKE2.3

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX, 2018 Mustang Ecoboost
Occupation
Appraiser
I'll be ordering a 2021 Ranger in March and I'm going to inquire about getting a special order Kona Blue (Mustang), Area 51 (Bronco) or Burgundy Velvet (Navigator). If they com back and say, "well that'll run $6000 more and a 13 month delay, then RPO Cactus grey or maybe Carbonized Grey- that one I would need to see in person.

I'm on a fixed (broken?!) income now, so this one will be a keeper-a quarter million miler. If I'm still around at that time I'll probably get a fully autonomous, carbon-14 nano diamond battery powered electric.
In Kona Blue, dammit!
I have a mustang in Kona Blue. It's a great color when it's clean, but it's terribly difficult to keep clean. I wouldn't buy it again. I would go ruby red or lightning blue like my ranger. I do like the new velocity blue too though.

gfitzge2

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Vehicle Showcase
I have a mustang in Kona Blue. It's a great color when it's clean, but it's terribly difficult to keep clean. I wouldn't buy it again. I would go ruby red or lightning blue like my ranger. I do like the new velocity blue too though.
Velocity blue looks really good on Mustangs. Dealer had a GT 350 R in the show room. Beautiful car, but 78K plus 5K dealer mark up was not so pretty. :crazy:

I am thinking about a 2021 Mach1, but I will go with Fighter Jet Grey. I like the orange calipers and accents and the Chuck Yeager tribute theme.

I don't think Kona blue is offered on the 21s, although the Antimatter Blue Metallic looks pretty close.

21MY Colors.jpg

Last edited:

NvrFinished

First Name
Shea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT 4x4 Rapid Red
Velocity blue looks really good on Mustangs. Dealer had a GT 350 R in the show room. Beautiful car, but 78K plus 5K dealer mark up was not so pretty. :crazy:

I am thinking about a 2021 Mach1, but I will go with Fighter Jet Grey. I like the orange calipers and accents and the Chuck Yeager tribute theme.

I don't think Kona blue is offered on the 21s, although the Antimatter Blue Metallic looks pretty close.

21MY Colors.jpg
One thing I learned is to make sure you see the color in person. What you see in print media and on monitors is not what it looks like in person. I learned that before I had purchased my 2016 Mustang. A good example in the image above is the Lucid Red Pearl. It's the same color and paint code as my Rapid Red Ranger and it does not look anything like that.

Johnv1991

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
Antimatter blue looks good on the Broncos. Curious to see how it looks in person. I love my shadow black ranger but if I had the choice of cactus gray when i ordered I would have had a tough time deciding.

gfitzge2

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Vehicle Showcase
One thing I learned is to make sure you see the color in person. What you see in print media and on monitors is not what it looks like in person. I learned that before I had purchased my 2016 Mustang. A good example in the image above is the Lucid Red Pearl. It's the same color and paint code as my Rapid Red Ranger and it does not look anything like that.
i took a chance and couldnt have been happier.
there is no way HPR can be captured in a photo to its true potential
Antimatter blue looks good on the Broncos. Curious to see how it looks in person. I love my shadow black ranger but if I had the choice of cactus gray when i ordered I would have had a tough time deciding.
Agree. Not only in person but in varying light conditions. These metallic paints can look very different in bright sunlight VS low light. A good example is Nitrous blue on the Focus RS. In low light it looks just like Grabber blue from the Mustang, but in the sunlight the metal flake makes it look much different. It is also interesting that Ford gives different names to the same paint code depending on which vehicle. It is all in the marketing I guess. :) ?

OP
OP
mustang marty

mustang marty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger stx sabertooth , 04 stang ragtop 40th anvrs. , 66 stang fastback 2 plus 2
Occupation
A happy retired guy
Agree. Not only in person but in varying light conditions. These metallic paints can look very different in bright sunlight VS low light. A good example is Nitrous blue on the Focus RS. In low light it looks just like Grabber blue from the Mustang, but in the sunlight the metal flake makes it look much different. It is also interesting that Ford gives different names to the same paint code depending on which vehicle. It is all in the marketing I guess. :) ?
Saw a saber ranger on a cloudy day it looked very dark and blah .. Next visit on a sunny day the metallic was unreal and eye popping ; so instead of blue I ordered my saber ranger . Never been sorry . I also agree see the colors in person in sunlight .
Sponsored

Last edited: