First time towing a Travel Trailer (before i buy)

2.7EcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Screw
One thing I forgot to mention, is that with my E2 hitch, the included factory shank did not have enough drop. When using weight distribution it is critical to get the ball height on your truck the same or as near possible to the coupler height of the trailer. Both being on level ground of course. These 4x4 Rangers have a high hitch mount/opening for departure angle. My Truck ball height was 22 5/8" on the lowest setting and my TT coupler is 21". That takes off tongue weight (sway and porpoising) and makes the weight distribution/sway control set up nearly impossible (to have anywhere near ideal). The bottom line is, make sure you take your time and check your set up. Also try to keep your load balanced. My travel trailer has the black tank in the very back. If I were ever remote camping and had to tow home with it full, that's about 250 lbs behind my trailer axle. Common sense, and reasonable speed matter!! I think I read somewhere that Ford list 60 mph the max speed for towing with an F-150. Here's a video that shows what happens when people don't use common sense. A small car passing you (#13) changes the airflow around your trailer. You need to be alert and driving at a reasonable speed.

Sponsored

Last edited:

Skeletor

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
This would be my first time towing a travel trailer. I did have a 1980's Glasstron open bow boat. I also had a utility trailer with a small dune buggy (bug go kart). I also have my Military certificate to tow aircraft. I had to tow a Sikorsky HH-60H, that was a long time ago and I am sure that does not count anymore lol. I have not towed in past few years and not a travel trailer. Nothing like a giant box on wheels.

I was told by the Rv rental that they recommend a weight distribution hitch. I was going to do research. If there is one you recommend please let me know. They did say you will have issues backing up, I didn't understand that part.

All the numbers I used was for the 4x4 supercrew model which I have. I plan on making them let me tow it around the block and around the parking lot first. Also the trailer is going to be a possible gift from my nice inlaws. So I am sure you understand, a free trailer you are going to pick the best out within reason.

I looked up the tongue weight and that's 750lbs. The trailer below is the one I am learning towards as of now.

Please if some one has a bunk model trailer that is super fancy inside and is 5,000 to 5800 pounds they can recommend please let me know or send me a link. Also something with one slide out and a out door kitchen (grill and fridge at least).

Hitch weight is 620
Trailer is Weight 5380

https://www.castlecountryrv.com/pro...okee-grey-wolf-black-label-23dbhbl-1146801-29
How does the truck do pulling your trailer? I'm about to buy a trailer with the same weight but one foot longer.

Metalmagic

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger xlt
Occupation
pipe welder. Parts maker on the side
So I am new here, so Hello and thank you to everyone.

I have a new 2019 Ranger Lariat Super Crew 4x4 FX4, Its fully loaded. I also have the trailer brake controller VKB3Z-2C006-A being installed. Below is the trailer I am looking at. I realize its 100lbs over, GVWR but we are not going to run it full loaded, There is only 3 people in my family (one child). We are going to use a camp ground so we are not carrying max load or any where near. Please understand I am new at towing, so explain please. Also I was told yes weight is important but this trailer is too long (this was from a friend who still thinks the Ranger is still the same size as the 90's ones. Also how does all the weight work with the truck bed? So the truck bed can have 1650lbs. So can you tow 7500lbs plus have 1650lbs in the bed? Thank you for helping.

https://www.southernrv.com/New-Inve...-Super-Lite-SS289QB-McDonough-Georgia-7160249

• Dry Weight 5661 lbs
  • Hitch Weight 768
  • GVWR 7600

ford.jpg
Your hitch weight is already over the maximum allowable weight from the manufacturer. If you go over this and are in an accident your insurance will not cover you and you could face criminal charges and civil lawsuits in a serious accident. I’m talking from experience I watched a friend go through this it was aweful. He was over his hitch weight by 14lbs. the gvw and gcw were all under. Let me know if you need help calculating all this I would be glad to help.

Str8sh0otr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat 4x4
Your hitch weight is already over the maximum allowable weight from the manufacturer. If you go over this and are in an accident your insurance will not cover you and you could face criminal charges and civil lawsuits in a serious accident. I’m talking from experience I watched a friend go through this it was aweful. He was over his hitch weight by 14lbs. the gvw and gcw were all under. Let me know if you need help calculating all this I would be glad to help.

I too recommend towing within stated limits but criminal charges and insurance deserted him for 14lbs over hitch weight when operating within all axle and gvwr's? Now I have heard it all. 14 lbs is like 2 gallons of gas and a good bowel movement. How did they establish that? Please tell us the insurance company so we can all make sure we dont have them. Also the link to this guys gofundme account.

Metalmagic

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger xlt
Occupation
pipe welder. Parts maker on the side
I too recommend towing within stated limits but criminal charges and insurance deserted him for 14lbs over hitch weight when operating within all axle and gvwr's? Now I have heard it all. 14 lbs is like 2 gallons of gas and a good bowel movement. How did they establish that? Please tell us the insurance company so we can all make sure we dont have them. Also the link to this guys gofundme account.
This was before go fund me existed. It was nationwide. The lawyers jumped all over him....

J Haggerty (RADAR1)

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Supercrew I4, 2017 Dodge Durango SXT V6, 2004 Dodge Dakota SLT V8
Occupation
Retired USAF Air Traffic Controller
I know the insurance company I worked for would still cover the liability claim arising from the accident, even if you were overloaded, although they might reconsider if they wanted to keep insuring you in the future. As for civil liability, yes, especially if it's a fatality then the other company or victim might very well sue you and the fact that you were overloaded would certainly be part of their investigation that would be in their favor. Even if they wrongly made a left turn in front of you, if you hit them and they can prove you could have stopped if not overloaded, that could very well go against you.

Str8sh0otr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat 4x4
I know the insurance company I worked for would still cover the liability claim arising from the accident, even if you were overloaded, although they might reconsider if they wanted to keep insuring you in the future. As for civil liability, yes, especially if it's a fatality then the other company or victim might very well sue you and the fact that you were overloaded would certainly be part of their investigation that would be in their favor. Even if they wrongly made a left turn in front of you, if you hit them and they can prove you could have stopped if not overloaded, that could very well go against you.
Yes this is what I was getting at and also understand to be true. Insurance companies pay to the extent of your coverage whether you are overloaded, speeding, drunk, etc. They dont pay for any excess liabilities regardless of the nature of the accident. Ive never heard anything different substantiated ever....just internet forum fear mongering.

ElSolo

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford XLT, Lightning Blue, FX2 pkg, 301A pkg, Tow pkg.
Hey, all. Coming back on to this thread to see if anyone has had some meaningful experience towing a TT with their new gen Ranger.

Wife and I are planning to purchase our first TT within the next 6 months or so. I don't have a ton of experience towing TT's, but I do have experience towing work trailers when I worked with my dad years back (mostly landscaping equipment and loads... which I know are different experiences from towing a TT).

Of course, safety and towing confidence are my main concerns since we have a little one that'll be joining us on our adventurin'. I have a 2020 Ranger XLT with Sport, FX2, tow packages, and the 301A package. No significant mods, though I plan to invest in a soft tonneau cover and possible a swing case. Other than the car seat and a small Boston Terrier, nothing else of any considerable weight in the truck besides passengers and any cargo that may be needed for camping trips (probably only firewood and maybe a can of gas since most everything else will be stored in the TT).

Anyway, based on my research, I plan on keeping my TT under 20 ft (plus hitch length) and total weight under 5,000 lbs. Some of the trailers that are on our shortlist are the Keystone Bullet Crossfire 1700BH (https://www.keystonerv.com/travel-trailers/bullet/floorplans/1700bh-crossfire-travel-trailer/), No Boundaries 19.7 (https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/travel-trailers/no-boundaries/NB19.7/3797), the NoBo 19.8 (https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/travel-trailers/no-boundaries/NB19.8/4680), and the GeoPro 16bh (https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/travel-trailers/rockwood-geo-pro/G19BH/4396).

First, I'd love to hear from those of you that have had experience towing any of these - or anything similar - with your '19-'20 Rangers. Will hitch weight on any of these trailers be an issue once loaded and the propane/batteries installed?

Second, what do y'all think about the Ranger being able to tow these trailers comfortably and safely. I don't really have any interest in white-knuckling it the entire way to our destination. I think the drive is part of the experience and it'd be no fun to not be able to enjoy the ride with the family because I'm too freaked out the entire trip there about the Ranger's ability to handle the load.

Speaking of destinations: we live in California and most of our camping will be within 2-4 hours from home. But we would like to include some longer trips here-and-there to the PNW, northern CA, Utah, Arizona, and Colorado. Heck, assuming the Ranger can tow these trailers well, I can even see us taking longer trips once I rack up enough vacay hours at work, haha!

Thanks for the assistance, y'all!

MSearles

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat
Hey, all. Coming back on to this thread to see if anyone has had some meaningful experience towing a TT with their new gen Ranger.

Wife and I are planning to purchase our first TT within the next 6 months or so. I don't have a ton of experience towing TT's, but I do have experience towing work trailers when I worked with my dad years back (mostly landscaping equipment and loads... which I know are different experiences from towing a TT).

Of course, safety and towing confidence are my main concerns since we have a little one that'll be joining us on our adventurin'. I have a 2020 Ranger XLT with Sport, FX2, tow packages, and the 301A package. No significant mods, though I plan to invest in a soft tonneau cover and possible a swing case. Other than the car seat and a small Boston Terrier, nothing else of any considerable weight in the truck besides passengers and any cargo that may be needed for camping trips (probably only firewood and maybe a can of gas since most everything else will be stored in the TT).

Anyway, based on my research, I plan on keeping my TT under 20 ft (plus hitch length) and total weight under 5,000 lbs. Some of the trailers that are on our shortlist are the Keystone Bullet Crossfire 1700BH (https://www.keystonerv.com/travel-trailers/bullet/floorplans/1700bh-crossfire-travel-trailer/), No Boundaries 19.7 (https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/travel-trailers/no-boundaries/NB19.7/3797), the NoBo 19.8 (https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/travel-trailers/no-boundaries/NB19.8/4680), and the GeoPro 16bh (https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/travel-trailers/rockwood-geo-pro/G19BH/4396).

First, I'd love to hear from those of you that have had experience towing any of these - or anything similar - with your '19-'20 Rangers. Will hitch weight on any of these trailers be an issue once loaded and the propane/batteries installed?

Second, what do y'all think about the Ranger being able to tow these trailers comfortably and safely. I don't really have any interest in white-knuckling it the entire way to our destination. I think the drive is part of the experience and it'd be no fun to not be able to enjoy the ride with the family because I'm too freaked out the entire trip there about the Ranger's ability to handle the load.

Speaking of destinations: we live in California and most of our camping will be within 2-4 hours from home. But we would like to include some longer trips here-and-there to the PNW, northern CA, Utah, Arizona, and Colorado. Heck, assuming the Ranger can tow these trailers well, I can even see us taking longer trips once I rack up enough vacay hours at work, haha!

I have a Crossroads Sunset Trail 22 foot Travel Trailer (http://www.crossroadsrv.com/products/travel-trailers/sunset-trail/floorplans/ss222rb/). I've had no issues towing. A little over 5,000 lbs dry.

Deleted member 1634

The NoBo 19s are what I've been looking at as a potential upgrade for us in the future. And I would feel very comfortable towing something like that with the Ranger based on the things I've towed already.

ElSolo

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The NoBo 19s are what I've been looking at as a potential upgrade for us in the future. And I would feel very comfortable towing something like that with the Ranger based on the things I've towed already.
Thanks for the input. A couple of questions: What have you towed in the past (just curious since I'm trying to research TT's)? And, have you towed up hills/grades? If so, how does the Ranger handle those with the load in tow?

Deleted member 1634

Thanks for the input. A couple of questions: What have you towed in the past (just curious since I'm trying to research TT's)? And, have you towed up hills/grades? If so, how does the Ranger handle those with the load in tow?
My usual tow rig is quite a bit less weight (~1800-2000lb loaded depending on the type and length of trip), and not really in the same ballpark as what you're currently looking at. But still an amazing camper and we love it! The truck barely notices that. Mileage is still right around 20mpg. Plenty of power to still outrun most other vehicles from the stoplight if I wanted.

The largest and heaviest I've towed is a ~5500lb loaded U-haul trailer over 6hrs through some nice rolling hills. Even that didn't result in any issue. Mileage went down around 16mpg on that one. But still had enough power to pass people while going uphill. No issue being blown around or pushed. Plenty of control.

I haven't done any mountain stuff yet, but there are some pretty good steep hills (8-10% grades) I've done around here and the truck has no issue. In reality this is one of the best towing vehicles out there. I wouldn't hesitate to tow upwards of 6000-6500lbs given my towing experience.

Pic of our rig for our week long trip last fall, before I added the topper this spring.
IMG_20190816_092151026_HDR.jpg

ElSolo

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My usual tow rig is quite a bit less weight (~1800-2000lb loaded depending on the type and length of trip), and not really in the same ballpark as what you're currently looking at. But still an amazing camper and we love it! The truck barely notices that. Mileage is still right around 20mpg. Plenty of power to still outrun most other vehicles from the stoplight if I wanted.

The largest and heaviest I've towed is a ~5500lb loaded U-haul trailer over 6hrs through some nice rolling hills. Even that didn't result in any issue. Mileage went down around 16mpg on that one. But still had enough power to pass people while going uphill. No issue being blown around or pushed. Plenty of control.

I haven't done any mountain stuff yet, but there are some pretty good steep hills (8-10% grades) I've done around here and the truck has no issue. In reality this is one of the best towing vehicles out there. I wouldn't hesitate to tow upwards of 6000-6500lbs given my towing experience.

Pic of our rig for our week long trip last fall, before I added the topper this spring.
IMG_20190816_092151026_HDR.jpg
Great info! Thanks! That's a nice little setup there.

I'm on the side that something under 20 ft and less than 5,000 gross weight should be fine for this truck. But after reading some of the posts on this and other threads, I can't help but hesitate before committing to something to haul around. Might be that people are being extra conservative in opinions or basing them on everything less than the real-world experience.

Fact of the matter is that the engines in these trucks aren't the same 4 cylinders that most of us are used to. My first vehicle was a 2000 Ford Ranger 4 cylinder, and that truck is NOT what my 2020 is. Not even close. These new trucks are worlds apart from anything that once was. That said, it's good to know that the 4-banger under the hood can pull the relatively smaller TT's out there without too much issue (assuming you're towing safe otherwise... i.e. safe speeds, proper equipment, etc.).

All that said, I assume that gusty winds could cause some noticeable feeling in the Ranger while towing a box on wheels. I'm hoping it's nothing too unmanageable or anything that slower speed can't help mitigate.

Deleted member 1634

Great info! Thanks! That's a nice little setup there.

I'm on the side that something under 20 ft and less than 5,000 gross weight should be fine for this truck. But after reading some of the posts on this and other threads, I can't help but hesitate before committing to something to haul around. Might be that people are being extra conservative in opinions or basing them on everything less than the real-world experience.

Fact of the matter is that the engines in these trucks aren't the same 4 cylinders that most of us are used to. My first vehicle was a 2000 Ford Ranger 4 cylinder, and that truck is NOT what my 2020 is. Not even close. These new trucks are worlds apart from anything that once was. That said, it's good to know that the 4-banger under the hood can pull the relatively smaller TT's out there without too much issue (assuming you're towing safe otherwise... i.e. safe speeds, proper equipment, etc.).

All that said, I assume that gusty winds could cause some noticeable feeling in the Ranger while towing a box on wheels. I'm hoping it's nothing too unmanageable or anything that slower speed can't help mitigate.
I think it comes down to a lot of personal comfort level and historical bias like you were getting at. Everybody has their own personal level and that's fine.

This truck isn't the Rangers of old, it's not even the F-150s of old. Technology and engineering have accomplished a lot that's for sure!

Gusty cross winds are always a factor, and that's where experience comes into play. Slowing down, pulling off for a bit, taking a more protected route, etc. And I know there are a handful of members on here with trailers right up near the limit and they have done just fine.

In the end, it sounds like you know your stuff and will apply the correct amount of safety and conservatism to your decision and driving.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer

I pull a Forest River R-Pod 191 with my Ranger, A little smaller than what your looking at but not much. I Have a Husky Centerline TS hitch with sway control and the lightest bars (400-600# tw). I have the Redarc controller not the Ford version. I needed to put in a controller before Ford finally released theirs. I know some people say the Ranger "pulls it like it's not even there". Close, Plenty of power, but you do know 5000# is there. That being said I have had no issues with the trailer being squirrely, feels solid and comfortable on the highway.

I think the size and weight limits you are setting for yourself are very reasonable. Just get a good WDH ( lot of options and opinions there) and have it setup correctly and you should have no problems. I like my Redarc TBC, but which I could get a kit to retrofit the module to get the AEB working. Don't have Adaptive Cruise, but you shouldn't use that while towing anyway.

Heres a picture of my rig:
Camper one.jpg
Sponsored